173 replies to this topic

#41 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

How much would LA like for someone like Lubomir Visnovsky. The guy is a beast in the new NHL. I think he is a UFA at the end of the season so worth a shot.

lol- He was signed long term

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 04 February 2008 - 11:55 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#42 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Maybe he is on the decline but he won't hurt you for the playoffs. Just waive him after the seasons end, it probably wouldn't cost much.

Gionta makes 4M next season and then we can let him go, but Tucker makes another 9M for the next 3 seasons. Basically, we just pay a guy for 3M playing zero games??? If so, I would rather see Gionta for Tanguay.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#43 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

Gionta makes 4M next season and then we can let him go, but Tucker makes another 9M for the next 3 seasons. Basically, we just pay a guy for 3M playing zero games??? If so, I would rather see Gionta for Tanguay.

Didn't realize he was signed for another 3 years. The leafs are morons for given a player who is always playing through injury that long of a contract.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

Didn't realize he was signed for another 3 years. The leafs are morons for given a player who is always playing through injury that long of a contract.

Agreed, but it was that, or pay him 4 M for 3 years. He was coming off a season where he was on pace to score almost 40 goals. Someone was going to reward him foolishly.

I think Darcy actually gave them a big discount and it's still going to be a bad contract.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

How much would LA like for someone like Lubomir Visnovsky. The guy is a beast in the new NHL. I think he is a UFA at the end of the season so worth a shot.

LVisnovski signed an extension that pays him 5.65M for the next "FIVE" years. He is 30 right now and he is a good PP guy, but he is a very risky player though. Plus, he is only 5-10 and has trouble handling big forwards, so if he is not producing offensively, he'll become the next useless, overpaid whipping boy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 CaptainLangs

CaptainLangs

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Havlat would be NASTY on a line with Patty, too bad he can't stay healthy to save his life. However, it could turn out to be a HUGE investment for this team if he manages to stay healthy.

And yes, with Patty at center and Zubrus at....where ever, the Devs could use an effective left winger. Calgary is desperate to get some cap room...Tanguay will be the first player to go if they even want to think about resigning Phaneuf along with Iggy's linemates Huselius and Langkow.

I would like to have Phaneuf above all else, though. :koolaid:
Got a little captain in you?

#47 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

I really wish we could get an offensive defesemen on the backend. Dan Boyle or LM Liles. I'd love to see a forward pick up the defensmen on the rush for a goal.

I can't believe I am saying this but I think we should actually sign Tyler Eckford and give him a look at pro hockey. Before I always thought defensmen who are average to poor in their own end are useless but in todays NHL you need someone who can jump into the rush and Eckford is like a 4th forward on the ice. This guy is an offensive machine out there and apparently is getting better defensivly. Still way overweight.

#48 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

Oh please. Score a big goal at the right moment is code for you love him and would have his children. He's not a great skater, merely a good one, and he takes silly penalties. Not what New Jersey needs, plus they love him in Toronto and wouldn't auction him off, and New Jersey doesn't need another long-term contract on a player who is already declining. Darcy Tucker's decline won't be pretty either - he has a lot of NHL mileage on him, he's not very big, and he's taken a pounding for years.

Silly penalties?? He has less than 1.7 penalty minutes per game. Not great but give the kid some slack - its not like he was the cause of the Penguin's PP goals tonight - Elias and Brodeur were!

Funny how last year Gomez was dragging the offense down and now Gionta misses him :blink:

I'd rather try to get some more offensive talent around Gionta before dumping him. It's not as if he's not trying, he's pressing. The opposite of Elias when he gets in a slump, Elias never shoots when he loses it, Gionta shoots from all over the place.

Agreed! He still has some value left in him. Obviously someone at the Devils thinks so or else he wouldn't be playing on the top line.

And sorry, but GWG never meant much to me. G is what is important, because it includes the tiebreaking goal, the insurance goal, the goal that changes the momentum of the game, etc.
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#49 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

Havlat would be NASTY on a line with Patty, too bad he can't stay healthy to save his life. However, it could turn out to be a HUGE investment for this team if he manages to stay healthy.

And yes, with Patty at center and Zubrus at....where ever, the Devs could use an effective left winger. Calgary is desperate to get some cap room...Tanguay will be the first player to go if they even want to think about resigning Phaneuf along with Iggy's linemates Huselius and Langkow.

I would like to have Phaneuf above all else, though. :koolaid:

If they change the CBA rules to allow parts of salary to be picked up by the original team, I'd be willing to take a flyer on Havlat. At a Jagr "half-price" deal, he could be a steal, if not, hey, it's not like Zubrus is doing much more.

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

Getting this thread back on track - I'm looking at similar players who've got contracts expiring in 08-09.

Glen Murray (RW) - eh, Glen has 330 career goals (yes, really), but he's a power forward type nearing the end. If somehow Bruins management suffered a stroke and wanted to trade us Milan Lucic and Murray for Gionta..

Erik Cole (RW) - 11 goals so far this year. Carolina's stupid but they are not this stupid. Too bad.

Alex Tanguay (LW) - Tanguay brings the kind of skill set we'd be looking for from the wing - he's a playmaking winger. Still, Tanguay and Zubrus have a somewhat similar skill set, so they'd have to be kept apart - this would make New Jersey's lines inflexible. I don't know if Alex is playing center these days, either.

Martin Havlat (LW, RW) - please. I have loved the idea of this guy since I read about him in THN's draft issue in 1999 and it kills me that Ottawa took him one selection before New Jersey took Ari Ahonen. He is disgustingly talented and is exactly the kind of gamble New Jersey needs to take, considering their less-than-stellar drafts of the last 5 years.

Milan Hedjuk (RW) - Hedjuk is signed for one more year than Gionta, so there'd have to be some extra added. I've never liked Hedjuk, though. Then again I never really liked Gionta.

Jonathan Cheechoo (RW) - Wow, he's signed through 2010/11, I had no idea. But he's been so bad this year that San Jose has to consider selling as high as possible.

And that's about it. Fringe candidates include Pavol Demitra, Brad Richards, and Tony Amonte.

Edited by Triumph, 05 February 2008 - 12:20 AM.

#51 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

If they change the CBA rules to allow parts of salary to be picked up by the original team, I'd be willing to take a flyer on Havlat. At a Jagr "half-price" deal, he could be a steal, if not, hey, it's not like Zubrus is doing much more.

I think those "half price" deals (ex. Jagr) were only legal before the CBA, and since that is when Jagr signed his deal, that contract along with the Caps picking up half of his salary had to be honored under the new CBA. However, I believe it is illegal to sign players to deals that work in the same way under the current CBA.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#52 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hejduk and Murray are the same caliber, excel when playing with good set-up men. Havlat is a fragile player and his salary is a high risk. Maybe Cole would be a good addition, a power forward type with very good speed and could be the one who can create room for skilled players such as Elias and Zubrus.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

I think those "half price" deals (ex. Jagr) were only legal before the CBA, and since that is when Jagr signed his deal, that contract along with the Caps picking up half of his salary had to be honored under the new CBA. However, I believe it is illegal to sign players to deals that work in the same way under the current CBA.

They are, but if Brian Burke keeps whining, you might see some changes. I think Havlat will be around for the taking for awhile, people aren't going to knock down the doors for him in the current environment.

#54 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

Crap I was gonna post this this morning. Tri beat me to it..
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#55 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

I'm glad Tri posted this. I'm so tired of unofficial trade Brian Gionta threads mucking up the works. I'm glad this one is sanctioned. ;)

<JESTER>

PS: While I've soured on Gio a bit too. But Cheechoo is an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in the most incosistent player this side of Steve Thomas.
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#56 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Although his contract extension makes it improbable, how sweet would it be for Doc and Chico to call play-by-play with Vishnovsky and Vishnevsky on the same defensive pairing????? :hah:

Edited by DevilinLA, 05 February 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#57 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

Why Beetlebum is wiser than Triumph:

(Mattias Ohlund)'s certainly not worth more than gionta, who proved in the playoffs that he's without a doubt a 1st line RW in this league - and who is signed for two more seasons at a very reasonable price.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

omg i was wrong, gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal a game in the playoffs, how dare i think he's a vital part of the team

time to hide in shame

#59 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

How is someone who couldn't wait to(and probably still would) give Sutter the axe wise? :noclue:

Edited by DevilinLA, 05 February 2008 - 09:10 AM.

Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#60 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

omg i was wrong, gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal a game in the playoffs, how dare i think he's a vital part of the team

time to hide in shame

Exactly. Gionta was coming off scoring almost a goal per game and now we are giving up on him after half a bad season. We don't give up on Elias after half a bad season and make "Official Trade Threads". Brian certainly needs to make changes to his game, but I'm not going to toss him away for peanuts because of it.

Players don't go from "skilled" to "unskilled" at the snap of one's fingers.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users