#1 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,262 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:03 AM

http://www.nj.com/de...?....xml&coll=1

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello confirmed the obvious when he told The Star-Ledger that Niedermayer's No. 27 would some day be retired to the rafters at the Rock alongside No. 4 (Scott Stevens), No. 3 (Ken Daneyko) and, eventually, No. 30 (Martin Brodeur).

I am still hurt by him leaving and I am surprised that Lou is still going to do this, albeit it sounds like it will happen after Brodeur's number goes up or a decent amount of time after Niedermayer retires. Congratulations to him, the memories he made here as a Devil were awesome and I am grateful for his service and contributions to 3 Cups.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 08 February 2008 - 01:05 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#2 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,113 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Wow im shocked. I don't think he deserves it at all. I'm kinda hoping Lou is joking.

#3 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:10 AM

he deserves it. It will happen after much time has passed. You need to make sure his reception is not to boos, but instead to cheers for everything he did for this franchise.

Nieds and Brodeur are the only guarentees. Everyone else is mere speculation.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,262 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

Wow im shocked. I don't think he deserves it at all. I'm kinda hoping Lou is joking.

I know what you mean. I figured after guys like Clarkson, Tallackson, and Mottau wore 27, that there would be no jersey retirement for Niedermayer. I saw this link originally on HF and thought the thread was going to be a fans opinion. Then I clicked the link and when I read Lou's comment it just felt surreal. It almost feels like it is a joke because I never thought Lou was going to do it and to my surprise the Star Ledger seemed to think that this was going to happen all along.

Its weird how I feel about Niedermayer. When I think about the memories and how special those teams were, I love the guy. Then I think about him leaving and raising the Cup as a Duck and I feel sad. All in all, I guess he deserves it. I'm just feeling very conflicted over his return to NJ and now this news, so sorry if my sentences don't make much sense. I just have really mixed emotions.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Kulags

Kulags

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

Come on, you know Lou doesn't make jokes.
Official Keeper:
The Bouncing Souls' "Ole" as the Goal Song

#6 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

I wonder if the Avs will retire it first.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#7 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

Well this will make things all the more akward when he is booed tomorrow.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#8 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

"He's 34 years old. It's hard to just walk away," the Devils' captain said. "It's exactly what you'd expect from Nieder. Take some time. He'll be one of those guys who end up playing until he's 44 or 45."

Can we have him for the next decade then?
Posted Image

#9 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

Anybody got a list of notable players w/numbers retired in different buildings?
I'm sure Anaheim would raise it tommorrow if he said he's done after this year...
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#10 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:05 AM

Well this is something I wouldn't have expected Lou to tell us even if it's definite...well he deserves it, it just seems like not everyone thinks so.

#11 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

This actually makes me like Neids less. It makes him leaving hurt more.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#12 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:34 AM

Maybe Lou is saying this in hopes that it will lead to fewer boos tonight? :noclue:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#13 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:56 AM

How was it 'obvious' when Lou currently HAS a starting defenseman wearing #27 :blink:

I'm not sure how long Lou will be around if it's a decent amount of time after Nieds (and Marty) retire. It's classy of him to say something now to head off the booing though, probably more classy than he needed to be :lol:

But it does prove HE doesn't think Nieds is half the stuff he's been called here.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#14 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

It's well deserved. Congratulations to Nieds. But first Marty's #30 goes up and then sometime much later #27 follows. This won't happen for another 15 to 20 years.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#15 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Exactly. Depending on whether we win more Cups in the next little while, I'd sasy eventually #26 will most likely join them, before #27 too...especially with another Cup...but if 26 stays for his contract, it'd be hard not to and he'd be the franchisee leadder in every forward category.

#16 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

I always felt it would be retired, but by some GM after Lou quits.
And that may still yet happen.

"Sure, without question," Lamoriello said, "at the appropriate time because of what he brought to the organization while he was here. He represented this organization with the highest ability and class you can ask of anyone."

I read some wiggle room in there, as it may not be Lou but rather the organization (after Lou is gone )that does it.

#17 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:59 AM

I don't like it, but there you go.

He deserves his number retired, just in Anaheim.

Its just strange with Mottau playing in the # that it will one day be retired, what if Mottau wins a cup ( :giggle: ) then what???

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#18 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

I don't like it, but there you go.

He deserves his number retired, just in Anaheim.

Its just strange with Mottau playing in the # that it will one day be retired, what if Mottau wins a cup ( :giggle: ) then what???

from your keyboard to God's LCD...

#19 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

I hope some unexpectedly amazing dude gets #27 so it's REALLY awkward to retire it as Niedermayer's. :evil:

Honestly to me this means they hope Niedermayer returns in some capacity - it feels like a carrot -- if not for Niedermayer then the fans. I think he was a great player, but i wouldn't retire his number. It's stupid. You retire a guy like Dano -- then a guy like Nieds? All after NOT retiring so many influential guys?

Well luckily I'm a dog... these things aren't supposed to make sense to me.

Niedermayer made me feel like he was an indentured servant. Retiring his number is like saying you were indeed the wicked step mother taking advantage of his Cinderella :puke:

Edited by Darwindog, 08 February 2008 - 08:22 AM.

A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#20 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

I'm really happy to hear this, it still pains me to see a guy w/ the name " Mottau" skating around in #27.

Neids was and still is the most talented skater to play for NJ... its too bad he will not finish his career in Nj...

I will be there when they raise his Number...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users