Photo

Simple poll

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this team good enough? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this team good enough, as is, to win the Cup?

1. Yes (40 votes [49.38%])

Percentage of vote: 49.38%

2. No (41 votes [50.62%])

Percentage of vote: 50.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

I said NO, but I like the direction they're going in. If they continue to move, they can play with anyone. When they stand still they're horrible. Only thing left is to work on the scramble in front of Marty. If they clear that problem up, we can see a champion. Maybe as soon as next year (or 2). :rolleyes:

#22 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

Any team has a "chance" to win the Stanley Cup, the more pertinent question, however, is how likely is it? I don't see us as the front runners for the Cup for a few reasons, most of which I am sure have been elaborated by scholars of this board. First and foremost, our offensive line is mediocre and inconsistent. I see games where we play brilliantly but I also see games where I cringe at the complete lack of speed, creativity, and passing abilities that are displayed. It would certainly be a huge boost to our chances if we had another play maker. Defensively we are better, but still leave much to be desired. I think Salvador is a fantastic addition in terms of his size and his ability to clear men away from Brodeur and prevent easy rebounds. Marty, as of late, has been playing in God Mode, but I fear that if he sees too many games in the playoffs like last night versus the Canes and the previous game versus the Caps he will be gassed. This will come regardless of how many games Weekes plays during the regular season. In conclusion, I think we do have a "chance" to win but in light of our light artillery and the trades that teams like Pitsburgh made, those chances are not in our favor. If we can pick up a few more guys up in the offseason, I think we will have a solid chance of winning a cup within 1-3 years.

The End....
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#23 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Unlikely, but not impossible

#24 VITO

VITO

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

If they can stay focused, yes, they have a chance to go all the way.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#25 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

I don't see any other teams with the depth and focus the Devils do. If Marty gets some rest, we will easily get to the finals, but the West looks tough.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#26 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

i voted yes and while it seems obvious to say, the reason is brodeur.

i've said for a while (and certainly the last few years of playoffs) that marty has been merely good (and that might have been stretching it).

this season he has been incredible. he truly has a patchwork defense in front of him and i really can't remember the last bad goal he gave up.

i've never believed that he's really stolen a series for the devils (except perhaps ottawa in '03). the way he has played this year, i could honestly see him steal all 4 rounds. sure the devils will have to get some timely scoring and they can't all be 2-1 games. but this could be the year that marty takes them far with a sub 2.00 gaa.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#27 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

It all just has to click for us at the right time. If we can grind out a few rounds and Marty carries us on his back we can win the Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users