183 replies to this topic

#41 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

The only one I can recall having a spleen injury was when Peter Forsberg ruptured his while eating dinner on an off day during the 2001 Western Confrence Finals. As I remember it, that Avalanche team did okay without him.

Av's got their a$$ handed to them, but ROY won the Cup by himself. I still cringe thinking back to game 6.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#42 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

More Daily News info:

Avery's mother, Marlene, told the Toronto Sun that her son had a collision with a Pittsburgh defenseman in the first period and played the rest of the game with a lacerated spleen.

Avery's agent Pat Morris said the fiesty winger won't play again this season even if the Rangers are able to extend their second-round playoff series beyond Thursday.

And, finally, from TSN again:

"He's stable and everything is going to be okay," a team source told TSN.

Avery suffered the injury during Game 3 but the Rangers are unsure of exactly when it occurred. The winger's pain got continuously worse during the game and became more of an issue when play concluded. Team doctor, Dr. Andrew Feldman, suspected Avery had suffered an injury to his spleen and the pair were driven to hospital. Avery entered the hospital under his own power.

According to the team source, Avery never lost consciousness and never stopped breathing, and his condition was never considered life threatening.

Conflicting accounts, but why do I tend to believe TSN over Daily News....?

Edited by thelastonealive, 30 April 2008 - 11:45 AM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#43 DevRickus

DevRickus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

Well the good thing is, he doesnt have a brain so he couldnt have it damaged by the lack of oxygen....too soon? He will be just fine and ready to be his jackass self next season. I am sure it was a very scary situation at first but they know what the problem is and he is expected to make a full recovery.

#44 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

You're pathetic. turn off the TV for a while and experience some real life. Hockey is a game, a person being in the hospital is not.

Why did you pick his post over the other ones that aren't sorry that hes in the hospital?

#45 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

I don't care. I don't wish him dead, but I couldn't care any less about his status.

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

You're pathetic. turn off the TV for a while and experience some real life. Hockey is a game, a person being in the hospital is not.

wow thanks. guess you missed the part where i said i hope he comes back to play hockey.

should i get upset every time someone is admitted to the hospital? guess so. who's first? john q. smith of manchester, connecticut - very sorry about that broken leg, i'm tearing up - hope your family is doing okay.

Edited by Triumph, 30 April 2008 - 11:49 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

wow thanks. guess you missed the part where i said i hope he comes back to play hockey.

should i get upset every time someone is admitted to the hospital? guess so. who's first? john q. smith of manchester, connecticut - very sorry about that broken leg, i'm tearing up - hope your family is doing okay.

I'm not expecting it to ruin your day, but when you do hear about stuff like this, there's no reason to show any less compassion for him as opposed to anyone else.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#48 DevRickus

DevRickus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

I'm not expecting it to ruin your day, but when you do hear about stuff like this, there's no reason to show any less compassion for him as opposed to anyone else.

Where does it say that people have to compassionate? I would never wish death on anyone nor would I wish Sean Avery's livelihood to be taken from him, but on the other hand, I dont have to feel bad that he got injured.

#49 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

I understand that. I'm just saying that you shouldn't feel less compassion for him than you would for anyone else.
Posted Image

#50 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

According to the team source, Avery never lost consciousness and never stopped breathing, and his condition was never considered life threatening.

I was wondering how we got from unconsious and not breathing to a lacerated spleen. I mean the latter is certainly serious but it ain't 'unconcious and not breathing'.

Now that things have stablized....

I will miss seeing him on the other side of the handshake line. But there's always next year....

I wonder who did it.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#51 DevRickus

DevRickus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

I understand that. I'm just saying that you shouldn't feel less compassion for him than you would for anyone else.

I feel no compassion for him whatsoever. Like I said, I would never wish anyone to be killed or injured but if they do get injured, especially since he is only going to miss 1 game (the rest of their season), I couldn't care in the least.

Edited by DevRickus, 30 April 2008 - 12:07 PM.

#52 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

couldn't care less*
Posted Image

#53 eslats

eslats

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

Just heard on the fan, Glen Sather has released a statement that Avery has a lacerated speen. He will be out the remainder of the season but is expected to make a full recovery.

#54 DevRickus

DevRickus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

couldn't care less*

So on top of being our moral voice of reason, you are a grammar nazi as well. Congratulations.

#55 eheaps

eheaps

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Definitely good to hear it's not life threatening. Seems like he will be ok and return next season. Personally, I won't miss him on the ice, but in no means do I wish him a serious injury.
NEW JERSEY DEVILS HOCKEY

#56 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

how the hell do you get "cardiac arrest" from "lacerated spleen?"

ny daily news at its best right there.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#57 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:11 PM

1 round too late.

But I hope he recovers and plays again.

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#58 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

You think the surgeon did the stick thing with the scalpel?
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#59 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

how the hell do you get "cardiac arrest" from "lacerated spleen?"

ny daily news at its best right there.

Obviously Avery is a Vulcan and ANY Star Trek fan knows the two organs are switched in Vulcan anatomy :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#60 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Obviously Avery is a Vulcan and ANY Star Trek fan knows the two organs are switched in Vulcan anatomy :P

Live long and prosper Crash ...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users