12 replies to this topic

#1 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Not sure if anyone else here follows this, but figured I'd post about it here. This is the 13th year they have had this tournament, so it is still relatively new. USA used to be a force in this with the Yoder brothers tearing it up, last year was only the second time the US didn't medal. They have won five golds, most recently in 2006.

They started this year's round robin great with a 9-3 win today though. The other teams in USA's pool are Finland and Czech Republic, which are both real good.

Some NHLers play in this tournament from time to time. Ales Hemsky usually plays in this, and our own Karel Rachunek is playing this year. Petr Tenkrat is playing too. All three are obviously playing for the Czech Republic. Apparently Henrik Lundqvist was Sweden's goalie in 2002. Darren Turcotte is USA's head coach.

http://www.iihf.com/...nship/home.html

Looks like so far, Tenkrat has a goal and an assist, Rachunek has done nothing, and Hemsky only has a diving penalty.

USA plays Finland tomorrow at noon and Czech Republic Tuesday at 8 AM (both Eastern time).
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#2 Lemieux22MVP

Lemieux22MVP

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

do you know if there is anyway to watch these games?

#3 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think so. You can follow them live though with their scoresheet-type thing which just lists penalties and goals. Not really the same but I guess it's better than nothing.

It's kinda strange considering they had online radio broadcasts of all the NCRHA (college roller hockey) national tournament games but they can't get anything like that for the World Championships.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#4 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

Rachunek has done nothing

Ain't that the truth.

It would be cool if the NHL Network picked this up. It's not like there's a whole lot of NHL stuff going on during the summer to fill their programming schedule.

Edit: Just realized this was my 1,000th post. Hey now, I'm an All-Star. :boogie: OK I'll stop now.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 23 June 2008 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#5 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Rachunek had a good game today, with two powerplay goals and two assists as the Czechs beat Germany 7-6.

Big game tomorrow as USA and Czech Republic, both 2-0, face each other to determine first place in Pool B.
--John Buccigross

#6 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Huge win for the US beating the Czechs 7-6 for the first seed in Group B. They will probably play Austria in the quarterfinals, which they should have no problem with.

Hemsky had 3 assists, Tenkrat 2 goals, and Rachunek did not play. I wonder if he is injured.
--John Buccigross

#7 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

Man USA absolutely demolished Austria in the quarterfinals today by the score of 17-1 and will play Slovakia in the semis. Slovakia pulled off an upset over the Czech Republic 6-5 in overtime.

Rachunek had a goal, but also had a penalty and had the worst +/- in the game at -3.
Hemsky had a hat trick (and was still -1) and Tenkrat had an assist.

Apparently Lubomir Visnovsky is playing for Slovakia, he had a goal and an assist.
--John Buccigross

#8 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

USA lost to Sweden 12-8 (was 10-8 and then Sweden put in two empty-netters) and Slovakia beat Germany 3-2, so Slovakia and Sweden face each other for gold and USA will play Germany for bronze, both games are tomorrow.
--John Buccigross

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

In case anyone has been following this via my posts, USA lost to Germany in the bronze medal game 8-7 with the winning goal coming with 53 seconds left. Bummer.

Germany finished 4th in the pool and had to beat Canada to avoid being demoted to Division I (which they did by the score of 11-3) and ended up winning the bronze.

Sweden beat Slovakia for the gold 7-3.

I hope this tournament is in the US or at least North America someday. It would be awesome to see this. If it ever is in North America it would probably take place in Colorado or California, I think that is where the biggest roller hockey facilities are, although there are some good ones in Pennsylvania.

Edited by devilsfan26, 28 June 2008 - 01:13 PM.

--John Buccigross

#10 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Great to see Team GB get to the gold medal game in Division 1, shame they lost to Canada :evilcry:

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#11 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:36 PM

Well at least with Canada moving up to the top division you won't need to worry about them next year.
--John Buccigross

#12 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Well at least with Canada moving up to the top division you won't need to worry about them next year.

Who moved down to replace Canada?

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#13 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

Looks like Austria.
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users