22 replies to this topic

#1 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

Sportsnet.ca reports that the Rangers have been given permission to talk with Mats Sundin. Itīs interesting to see how seriously they are going to push for him. Gainey is making a serious effort to get Sudden to Habs. Gainey even travelled to Sweden to meet with Mats. Another team mentioned in this article was the Wings, yet they didnīt ask the Leafs for a permission to talk with Sundin.

I guess the Rangers are going to change half of their lineup and build a couple of great lines and fill the rest with leftovers if they are going to land even a couple of those heavyweights they are rumoured to sign.

I kinda hoped to see Mats wearing red, but now that doesnīt seem very likely. But thatīs a whole another story. Devs have a dire need for a top-3 d-man and thatīs the first priority this offseason.

Click

Edited by dali, 24 June 2008 - 08:37 AM.

Ghost of the offseason past.

#2 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

How do the rangers expect go get all these players on the same team under the Cap :noclue:

Or are they letting most of their UFA's go.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#3 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

The interesting thing is, I heard on XM home ice yesterday that Sundin didn't even meet with Gainey. Sundin said he needed more time to decide if he was even going to play this season, so he wasn't going to waste time deciding on a team, if he wasn't even sure of he'd be playing.
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#4 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

The interesting thing is, I heard on XM home ice yesterday that Sundin didn't even meet with Gainey. Sundin said he needed more time to decide if he was even going to play this season, so he wasn't going to waste time deciding on a team, if he wasn't even sure of he'd be playing.

I heard the same thing. The more people "push" at him the mroe he just "pushes" back and says "not yet".
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#5 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

Oh, this is interesting. But it makes sense. And itīs a good sign from Mats that wherever he plays, heīs going to do it only if heīs giving 100 per cent to his team. I hope heīs not done yet. An exceptional player that has so much to give for the game. Itīs so sad that the Leafs havenīt really offered him a chance to win the cup.

And ot: Itīs kind of sad to see childhood heroes as Sakic, Selänne and Sundin to consider retiring.

#6 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Unless the vets on the Rangers are going to take what guys like Hasek and Chelios make in Detroit, any Sundin talk would mean the end of Shanny...

#7 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

I kinda hoped to see Mats wearing red, but now that doesnīt seem very likely.

Oh I think he'll be wearing red... the red of either the Habs or Wings
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#8 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:40 AM

Oh I think he'll be wearing red... the red of either the Habs or Wings

If Sundin joins the Wings, they might as well tweak their jersey colours a bit. I was thinking something like this:

Posted Image

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

Unless the vets on the Rangers are going to take what guys like Hasek and Chelios make in Detroit, any Sundin talk would mean the end of Shanny...

Or the end of Jagr?

I don't see what the problem with the end of Shanahan would be as a Ranger fan. He doesn't play with an edge anymore, and all he's got is his shot. He scored 12 even strength goals last year, color me unimpressed.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

I agree Shanny is done, and Sather feels the same (he will talk to him after looking at more important players). Talking to Sundin must make Jagr feel good.

Sundin is what the Devils need, but he only want to play in a Canada or Detroit.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#11 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hmmm...Some more information. Cliff Fletcher claims that the Habs were given exclusive rights to talk with Sundin and sportsnet.ca has published a duck, but of course Fletcher canīt say that they did give the Habs exclusive rights to talk with Mats, only after giving them to the Rangers too.

And apparently Gainey is only now going to Sweden and heīs already discussed with Mats via Phone, if this story has it right.

Click

#12 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

Itīs so sad that the Leafs havenīt really offered him a chance to win the cup.

It's not sad, it's the Leafs.

Anyway, they had two great chances to win the Cup, in '00 and '01, but the Devs took care of that.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#13 Jdub

Jdub

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

Get Sundin and promote Bergfors and let them play together... Immediate success. Haha seriously though.. the devils won't even try to get him.

#14 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

Which I don't get, Mats would be a great option for one to two years.

#15 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

This "permission to talk" crap is getting old... and gettin' irritating, too.

Wait until July 1st like everyone else.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LÞZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#16 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

i like mats...it will suck if he goes to the raggots...

say it aint so mats.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#17 Patches O'Houlihan

Patches O'Houlihan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

According to Larry Brooks, NYR is where Sundin wants to be.

Sundin, the 37-year-old long-time Maple Leafs captain who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, has made it clear New York is his desired destination.

RANGERS INTERESTED IN SUNDIN
"I won't put big money into defenders, guys who only defend. There are guys out there who make millions of dollars that strictly defend. We don't believe doing that gives you bang for your buck."
- Ken Holland

#18 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Which I don't get, Mats would be a great option for one to two years.

Lou knows best. Can't wait until he turns the reigns over to Chris, we'll be set for many years to come.

#19 Jdub

Jdub

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Oh god no...He's done an awesome job in Lowell and Trenton.. lets just promote him when lou goes.. no way..

Seriously.. I've heard some not so good things about him

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

God, how can Lou just sit on his hands and watch all these teams... get permission... to talk to free agents?

Fire him now, titans has got it right on.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users