48 replies to this topic

#41 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

When I lived in East Rutherford and had Comcast -- admittedly, it was like seven or eight years ago -- I had to pay extra $$ in order to watch the Devils because Comcast normally didn't carry their games. I literally lived less than a mile and a half away from the arena, in the same little town that used to be the Devils home, and I almost couldn't watch their games on TV!

Other than that, though, I used to like Comcast. Their Info Guide is light years ahead of Cablevision's.

I have no idea about the info guide since I don't have digital cable, I'm still using the basic 1-99 lineup, but it seems like every couple weeks I have a problem with my internet or cable and in my experience, their customer service reps and technicians have been pathetic.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#42 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

The NHL is not a major sport in America, at least not this far south of Canada...
sure there is ebbs and flows in some markets when they have success, but it is typically fleeting.

It takes decades for a fan base to get built, and 3 championships will do a lot for that.
But there is still a long way to go before any hockey team in NJ draws 16K per night, esp a Wednesday in January when the Wild are in town...

#43 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

I have no idea about the info guide since I don't have digital cable, I'm still using the basic 1-99 lineup, but it seems like every couple weeks I have a problem with my internet or cable and in my experience, their customer service reps and technicians have been pathetic.

Yeah, the cable monopolies are a joke.

#44 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

The NHL is not a major sport in America, at least not this far south of Canada...
sure there is ebbs and flows in some markets when they have success, but it is typically fleeting.

It takes decades for a fan base to get built, and 3 championships will do a lot for that.
But there is still a long way to go before any hockey team in NJ draws 16K per night, esp a Wednesday in January when the Wild are in town...

You raise good points there, I think the problem is the start times of games, they need to be put back to at least 7.30, getting to the arena after work can be hell as traffic in NJ is gridlock, I reckons you could add 1500-2500 to the gate if a later puck drop was instituted.

#45 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

oh...my... GOD i hate bon jovi

So do I, but you gotta admit, that's a pretty awesome commercial.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#46 Kulags

Kulags

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

ESPN's old black and white hockey commercials were amazing too. They had one with Marty and his sock puppet "Mr Frenchy" and another where the Devils are playing hangman in the locker room. I think it's Stevens at the chalk board and it's almost solved ... _ORREST GUMP. Then someone guesses Q or something and Stevens throws down the chalk and storms out of the room.

This sounds hilarious. It needs to be found and posted immediately.

As far as the advertising thing goes, why don't we take matters into our own hands? I'm a videographer... anyone have any ideas?
Official Keeper:
The Bouncing Souls' "Ole" as the Goal Song

#47 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

Aren't the Devils the only NJ team standing? Jets/Giants = NY, Redbulls soccer = NY, Nets = moving to Brooklyn in 2 years, hmm.. am i missing a sport?

www.newjerseypride.com if you count major league lacrosse.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 23 July 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#48 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

You raise good points there, I think the problem is the start times of games, they need to be put back to at least 7.30, getting to the arena after work can be hell as traffic in NJ is gridlock, I reckons you could add 1500-2500 to the gate if a later puck drop was instituted.

Excellent point. The earlier start times are the primary reason I'm not getting my season tickets this year. I work in Midtown Manhattan and I get out between 6 - 6:30. I usually don't get home until 7:00. If I were going by myself that would be one thing...hop the Path and I'd be there...but I have to pick up my g/f, take the drive to Newark, park, etc. Once it's all said and done, the 1st period is well over and it's probably 10 minutes into the 2nd. I really don't know what the logic is of having such early start times.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#49 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

I hope we pick up the Nets fan base, that will fill another 20 seats a game

:rimshot:

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users