210 replies to this topic

#121 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Make someone's work a little easier? Why should one have to think about that? For one, that job isn't exactly difficult and second, not everyone leaves trash behind or even has trash. So right there they don't have to collect from every single seat.

What if everyone left their seat clean and pristine? Then the job would no longer be needed. They'll fire him. He might turn to crime, then drugs, then possible murder someone (Hey, it's Newark right?) and then go to jail or die on the streets.

Is that extreme? Sure it is, but it could happen.

It's just a nice gesture. How hard is it for a person to carry his cup and tray with him on the way out and then drop it off in a garbage can? Yea if everyone left their seat clean and pristine they wouldn't need that job, but that is unrealistic, so the job will always be needed.

Part of my job is to make sure the store is always clean. That doesn't make it okay for people to just throw the skates all over the store after they try them on.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#122 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

First, cleaning up garbage is usually a small part of their jobs. I know a couple people that worked at MSG and I worked at Fenway Park myself for Aramark (doing accounting work) and assuming its a similiar policy they spend about an hour or two out of the six or so they are there. If there is less garbage, they go on to the next task - when you work in a place as big as the Rock there is always more work to be done then employees.

2nd - This happens every day, its called outsourcing to developing countries. Its cheaper to pay four or five people in other countries than one person here. The job is for your presumably US based employer, regardless of where the work is done. Try calling Dell or AT&T for customer service and ask them where theyre located.

So? It is still part of their job. I am not obligated to make someone's job easier. It is their JOB after all. What difference does it make if it is part of their job or all of their job? They should expect to clean up trash from 18,000 seats but obviously they don't have to. If they didn't want people doing it they'd put up sign telling people to throw their trash out and put garbage cans everywhere like at the bottom of the stairs, I don't recall them being there, if they are there then ok.

As for outsourcing, irrelevant to this conversation. You can't outsource garbage collection to another country because, well, the garbage is here, not in Malaysia.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#123 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

ranger fans
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#124 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

It's just a nice gesture. How hard is it for a person to carry his cup and tray with him on the way out and then drop it off in a garbage can? Yea if everyone left their seat clean and pristine they wouldn't need that job, but that is unrealistic, so the job will always be needed.

Part of my job is to make sure the store is always clean. That doesn't make it okay for people to just throw the skates all over the store after they try them on.

You are suggesting that everyone should pick up their trash therefore there is less for that janitor to do but then you are saying it's unrealistic so that means you expect some people to leave garbage behind, so those that do are those like Satans Hockey and sometimes me.

Hey, I'm not saying you should make a mess. Don't go squirting mustard everywhere or spilling your drink all over the place. Now THAT would be making things harder. Just leave your tray by the seat.

Edited by sammyk, 18 July 2008 - 08:46 PM.

This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#125 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

You are suggesting that everyone should pick up their trash therefore there is less for that janitor to do but then you are saying it's unrealistic so that means you expect some people to leave garbage behind, so those that do are those like Satans Hockey and sometimes me.

Hey, I'm not saying you should make a mess. Don't go squirting mustard everywhere or spilling your drink all over the place. Now THAT would be making things harder. Just leave your tray by the seat.

Well there will always be crumbs and spilled drinks and stuff all over the place for them to clean up. Taking your cup and tray to the garbage probably isn't going to cost them their job.

And it does make a difference if it is part of the job or all of the job. If there was nothing for them to clean, and their only job was to clean it, then there would be no need for them. But since they do other stuff, they will still be needed so you don't need to worry about them being fired if you throw your trash in the trash can.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#126 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

Exactly. It's just common courtesy. What bugs me is that there's so many people in this world -- and in this thread -- who have completely lost all regard for anyone other than themselves that they think they can just run around doing whatever the hell they want. Not only that, but they go so far as to create excuses and to spin things so that everyone ELSE is the a$$hole, not them. And, of course, they're all going to get offended by this and accuse me of being up on a high horse, but frankly, they're the ones who need to get off of their high horses and quit acting like the universe revolves around them.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#127 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

Wow, we're discussing whether or not to throw out our trash and we've got like two months left before the puck drops. Ouch.

Personally, I usually throw my stuff out if it's convenient, but almost always leave some kind of trash under my seat. I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, don't the people cleaning up just push a broom down all the rows? They're gonna push the broom down my row anyway, and that job takes all of five seconds. Not a big deal. This thread has turned rather shallow and pedantic. :lol:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#128 CupChamps3X

CupChamps3X

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

Exactly. It's just common courtesy. What bugs me is that there's so many people in this world -- and in this thread -- who have completely lost all regard for anyone other than themselves that they think they can just run around doing whatever the hell they want. Not only that, but they go so far as to create excuses and to spin things so that everyone ELSE is the a$$hole, not them. And, of course, they're all going to get offended by this and accuse me of being up on a high horse, but frankly, they're the ones who need to get off of their high horses and quit acting like the universe revolves around them.

Yea I guess that's what I was getting at. I don't even think its about people being a$$holes, its just more people have become lazy and relying on other people to do things for them. I'm only 21, but even I am young enough to remember when kids (my age) played football and baseball in the street every weekend. Kids shouldnt see a french fry or a soda before they can read.
The Shake N Sift!

The (only) Voice of Moderation on NJDEVS

#129 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:12 PM

I am an a$$hole and I have no problem with anyone calling me one. That is probably why I love Learys song so much.

#130 CupChamps3X

CupChamps3X

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

This thread is hall of fame worthy. Opening night can't come soon enough.
The Shake N Sift!

The (only) Voice of Moderation on NJDEVS

#131 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

The day that they let people stay and watch the NFC championship on the jumbotron, I watched the cleaners come through. It's literally like one guy per four sections that just walks through each row to pick up trash, find lost items, or just generally tidy up. We'd need that anyway, whether people throw their trash out or not. Cutting those 20 guys' salaries wouldn't drop our prices a nickel.

I worked there YEARS ago. You have a guy with a huge, powerful machine like a leaf blower that he pushes and it cleans the rows. It is really amazing just how fast a huge arena or Giants Stadium gets cleaned. Its not a big deal if you leave something under your seat, every row gets done whether they see anything or not.

Being a former vendor, I hate when people speak down to vendors - they are just people trying to make some money. They don't cook the food or set the prices. I can't tell you how many people talked to me like I was an idiot and I'm a Doctor now. It kills your tips to fight with them so its best to just smile and take it.

Just my two cents on the cleaning issue.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#132 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

--Prices of food and beverages
--Rangers Suck/Flyers swallow chant when we are playing a team from California*
--8 year olds/stupid chicks chanting Lets go Devils even when we are down 4-0. This is a sports arena, not kindergarten.
--Ranger/Flyer fans in our arena when there teams aren't even in the house. WTF?
--Cowbell. This ain't the midwest nor the Sun Belt.

*The chant shows an inferiority complex. It's annoying as hell, and it makes this fanbase(and team) look more foolish than usual. When we are playing the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars in a early-mid season game I shouldn't have to endure these stupid, idiotic chants.

#133 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

--Prices of food and beverages
--Rangers Suck/Flyers swallow chant when we are playing a team from California*
--8 year olds/stupid chicks chanting Lets go Devils even when we are down 4-0. This is a sports arena, not kindergarten.
--Ranger/Flyer fans in our arena when there teams aren't even in the house. WTF?
--Cowbell. This ain't the midwest nor the Sun Belt.

*The chant shows an inferiority complex. It's annoying as hell, and it makes this fanbase(and team) look more foolish than usual. When we are playing the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars in a early-mid season game I shouldn't have to endure these stupid, idiotic chants.

Do you oppose making noise at sporting events? With people criticizing every attempt to make some noise, it's no wonder Devils games always have the atmosphere of a library.

The Rangers suck chant is fine if it's once or twice a game, but it gets overused. I see no problem with making noise when the team is losing, better than being a bunch of fairweather fans and only making noise when they have a big lead, and I don't know what your problem is with the cowbell.
--John Buccigross

#134 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

This thread is hall of fame worthy. Opening night can't come soon enough.

So true....but.... :e-drama: ....... :D

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#135 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Evidently I wouldn't be able to stand a lot of you at a hockey game, with some of the silly complaints here.

I've been going to sporting events for more than ten years - I've never thought twice of leaving trash under the seat and I generally keep things pretty clean. Someone else had a good analogy, it's like leaving your dish at a restaurant.

I just stuff everything into the tray and/or cup and not leave anything else on the floor, to me that's as far as common courtesy should go at a sports arena - and that's as much a courtesy to the people around you as anything else, why have someone else step in ketchup or soda spillage, or stain the floor with it?

Do you oppose making noise at sporting events? With people criticizing every attempt to make some noise, it's no wonder Devils games always have the atmosphere of a library.

The Rangers suck chant is fine if it's once or twice a game, but it gets overused. I see no problem with making noise when the team is losing, better than being a bunch of fairweather fans and only making noise when they have a big lead, and I don't know what your problem is with the cowbell.

So true...the only time I really will get annoyed at noise around me is when someone sitting near me does nothing but complain about the arena (or something else not game-related) the whole game. Or the drunken louts that constantly say Player X sucks and Player Y should get traded. If I wanted to listen to that kind of negativity I'd turn on sports talk radio or read the myriad of such posts here :P

In that vein, booing for the sake of booing is a pet peeve; I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Generally the team should be supported on its home ice, other than in cases of not trying, which can be subjective.

Ummm.... I'm not so against yelling shoot on the power play when you get to about 15 seconds left and still haven't taken one! And that might have happened to us once or twice...

I don't get that either, I mean you're not always going to get the perfect shot on the power play, sometimes you have to shoot either using a screen or deflecting off someone else.

Someone had a Gretzky quote in their sig a while back and it's so true - '100% of the shots you don't take won't go in' or something like that. The Devils, and other teams will pass the puck around too much here and there trying for the perfect play instead of just putting it on net.

Edited by Hasan4978, 19 July 2008 - 10:07 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#136 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

In that vein, booing for the sake of booing is a pet peeve; I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Generally the team should be supported on its home ice, other than in cases of not trying, which can be subjective.

Definitely and I think that goes back to the fanbase being spoiled and everyone thinking that every loss is a result of "lack of effort." It's as though most of the fans think the team is playing to please the fans. They are not, they are playing so that THEY can win and so that THEY can have a successful season. When they lose they aren't sitting in the locker room going, "Damn we disappointed our fans again." They are upset at the loss just as we are.
--John Buccigross

#137 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

Threads about garbage. :tomato:
It's the whiskey talking.

#138 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

I get annoyed with booing if the Devils are coming off like a 4 game winning streak, leave the first period tied 1-1, and get booed because they gave up a late first period goal. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#139 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

Because it's retarded and juvenile, but probably cool if you are about 6, The Rangers (to me) are a non-entity, far too insignificant to "make up" a chant about them, A total joke of a franchise from a city that thinks it can buy championships in all four sports- it does not happen in the real world ( unless you're Detroit)

Amen
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#140 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Things you can't stand at a hockey game...

When you are at the Devils/Rangers playoff game in the upper deck behind the net and there is 5 rows of drunk Canadiens fans in front of you chanting "Go Habs Go!," thinking they are at a Canadiens game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users