210 replies to this topic

#161 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

I don't know, I just don't see a reason to make someone do more work than he has to. If everyone was throwing garbage out and the guy's job was in jeopardy, then maybe that would be different, but I doubt that is the case.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#162 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

I don't know, I just don't see a reason to make someone do more work than he has to. If everyone was throwing garbage out and the guy's job was in jeopardy, then maybe that would be different, but I doubt that is the case.

The difference here is just between the two schools of thought--the one that thinks that the garbage cleaning is the work he has to, and those who, like yourself, think that it is more than he has to do. And this argument is clearly not going to be solved.

So...Posted Image

#163 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

Say what? You said:

Nobody is arguing whether or not it is part of the job

So you already agree that it IS part of his job. So how can you say he's doing more work than he has to?

If all 18 guys (based on 1 per 4 sections) were getting done early then obviously management is going to think there is not enough work for them and either find more work for them or adjust the workforce. So either this guy is going to have to do more work or he's gonna get laid off. Which do you think will happen? I'd say the latter.

This kinda reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George gives the security guard a chair to be a nice guy and the guard falls asleep as the store gets robbed.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#164 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

If all 18 guys (based on 1 per 4 sections) were getting done early then obviously management is going to think there is not enough work for them and either find more work for them or adjust the workforce. So either this guy is going to have to do more work or he's gonna get laid off. Which do you think will happen? I'd say the latter.

And there Sammy goes again, acting like his unwillingness to clean up after himself is actually saving some poor schmuck's job. Un-friggin'-believable. Again, it's a crying shame that some people are so defensive about living like pigs that they make up these convoluted excuses as to why their laziness and tolerance of filth is somehow a good thing.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#165 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Whatever Rowdy, you're way off base. It's not a matter of laziness, I clean up after myself quite well thank you.

I just don't see why I should do SOMEONE ELSES JOB. What is so hard to understand about that?

---

You know, I'm gonna bring that restaurant analogy back but a little different. When you enter a restaurant, do you pick up the menus and silverware as you go in or do you let the hostess/waitress do it? When you are done ordering, do you put the menus back near the entrance instead of letting the waitress do it? If the soda fountain is outside the kitchen, do you get your own drinks? When you leave, do you wipe off the table or do you let the busboy do it? How about the bill? These are all things you can do which are not in restricted areas, but do you do them? If not, why not?

#166 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

It's settled..next game im going to im gonna leave garbage..just because
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#167 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

Women sitting next to you wearing low cut shirts........

EDIT: OH THINGS I CAN'T STAND :):)

Edited by CMONBRENT, 20 July 2008 - 05:42 PM.

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#168 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Sammy, I think the restaurant scenario is a bad analogy.

Yes we all leave our plates and cups and cutlery on the table, but there are two ways to do it.

My wife and I stack our plates and put the cutlery on the top plate in a tidy pile. If there are more of us and there are leftovers, we scrape the leftovers off all the plates onto one, then put the other plates in a stack with the cutlery on top, and we put the cups all together near the plates.

I've seen people leave with food and crap on the floor and the table, knives and forks on the table and on the floor with cups and napkins on the floor and the table.
I think that is slobby and trashy.

Out of the above examples, who do you think the busboy will like better ? of course it's the first one.
All I do is a little consideration for others, I'm still leaving my plates on the table, but they are neat and tidy.

As far as taking your trash with you to the garbage can in an arena, that's a good thing, because it's not like the cleaners will have nothing to do, because they'll still have to empty the trash cans :doh1:
and I'm pretty sure the cleaners would sooner have all the trash piled up around the trash cans as opposed to strewn all over the arena.
I do agree with you that leaving your tray and cups neatly under your seat after the game is nice, as opposed to some slobs who leave spilled cups and popcorn etc all over the floor where it'll get walked in the carpet.

#169 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

Haha..you ba$tard! Thanks to you I only accumulated about 40....You can drop them off tonight..146.5 Higgins..:P Look for me, I'll be the one that looks like a tranny hooker!

Hmmm...I think maybe we have met before..... :lol:

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#170 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Sammy, I think the restaurant scenario is a bad analogy.

Yes we all leave our plates and cups and cutlery on the table, but there are two ways to do it.

My wife and I stack our plates and put the cutlery on the top plate in a tidy pile. If there are more of us and there are leftovers, we scrape the leftovers off all the plates onto one, then put the other plates in a stack with the cutlery on top, and we put the cups all together near the plates.

I've seen people leave with food and crap on the floor and the table, knives and forks on the table and on the floor with cups and napkins on the floor and the table.
I think that is slobby and trashy.

Out of the above examples, who do you think the busboy will like better ? of course it's the first one.
All I do is a little consideration for others, I'm still leaving my plates on the table, but they are neat and tidy.

As far as taking your trash with you to the garbage can in an arena, that's a good thing, because it's not like the cleaners will have nothing to do, because they'll still have to empty the trash cans :doh1:
and I'm pretty sure the cleaners would sooner have all the trash piled up around the trash cans as opposed to strewn all over the arena.
I do agree with you that leaving your tray and cups neatly under your seat after the game is nice, as opposed to some slobs who leave spilled cups and popcorn etc all over the floor where it'll get walked in the carpet.

NZT, I did change my analogy about taking the plates in since they may be in restricted area. To be honest, I do do what you described, consolidate the plates or hand them to the waitress when I'm done so she doesn't have to pick them up. I am, however, a generous tipper, so not like I leave a mess and a small tip. I make it worth their while.

The thing is, the guy picking up the garbage in the arena is going to make his way row by row anyway looking for anything, even lost and found items as one said. The guy will be armed with a trash bag so it's not like he has to go out of his way to pick up that trash. Is tossing it out yourself a good gesture? Sure, but that guy will still has to travel that path, it doesn't give him a longer coffee break or lets him go home early.

Leaving your tray behind has NOTHING to do with laziness or "tolerance of filth" as some call it. In the end, the man is just doing his job. You want to do his job for him? Go right ahead, never said anything is wrong with that, but if I want to let him do his job then don't call me lazy, it has nothing to do with it.

#171 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

I still can't believe we are still arguing about garbage.

+1 :whistling:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#172 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hmmm...I think maybe we have met before..... :lol:

Yeah weren't you the one in the jetta?!!!! :koolaid:
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#173 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

there isn't even this much talk about garbage at mob meetings. (so I've heard :whistling: )

Edited by section 110, 20 July 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#174 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

I still can't believe we are still arguing about garbage.

I find it difficult to believe that members think I am fat because I am only 5'10" and complain about leg room. Is this a non sequitur, or what ?
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#175 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

God... this thread is so garbagy.

Ok, never mind.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#176 gionta182

gionta182

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

I'm glad there are at least a few other people here who agree that it'd be nice if Devils fans were more vocal. Perhaps there should be a few sections marked "quiet study area" for patrons who dislike noise.

I actually hate being scolded that I should be wearing red at home games....

1. all my cooler jerseys are WHITE ones
2. I picked all the players I like more on white ones because WHITE SHOULD BE WORN BY THE HOME TEAM
3. I am protesting the "make it easier to wear third jersey dogma the league shoves down our throat
4. I saw them win a Stanley Cup in 2003 wearing that damn Madden white jersey (I might have worn it at home in 2000 also... but I drank so much that night damned if I remember :P) if it was good enough then it is CERTAINLY good enough NOW!!!

Yes I hate being told how I should support a team I pour BUCKETS of money into!! :rant:

So in other words ya want to Wear your White instead of Rock your Red, and wish the Devils would do the same? I do agree that the home team should be in white.
"I was just happy I didn't have anymore facial damage. Luckily it was Mike Mottau shooting the puck; He can't hurt a fly with that shot." - Devils center Bobby Holik after being credited with a goal against the Ducks on 1/11/09 after a puck deflected off his helmet and into the net

#177 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

I'm glad there are at least a few other people here who agree that it'd be nice if Devils fans were more vocal. Perhaps there should be a few sections marked "quiet study area" for patrons who dislike noise.

I think some of the disagreement on the subject could be alleviated by the Flyers-esque "Family Sections" proposed in DevilinLA's letter to team management. Parents who don't want their kids hearing certain "sucks" and "swallows" chants can seperate the ears of their children from the voices of the drunkards. It can also provide a quiet haven for those who wish to sit on their hands and not offend the chilluns around them.

This way the loud fans won't have so many of the chant-killing quiet people around them, and maybe some consistent noise can be made at the arena. Meanwhile the quiet fans are in an environment where they aren't sitting next to someone rattling their eardrums. Everybody wins.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#178 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

NZT, I did change my analogy about taking the plates in since they may be in restricted area. To be honest, I do do what you described, consolidate the plates or hand them to the waitress when I'm done so she doesn't have to pick them up. I am, however, a generous tipper, so not like I leave a mess and a small tip. I make it worth their while.

The thing is, the guy picking up the garbage in the arena is going to make his way row by row anyway looking for anything, even lost and found items as one said. The guy will be armed with a trash bag so it's not like he has to go out of his way to pick up that trash. Is tossing it out yourself a good gesture? Sure, but that guy will still has to travel that path, it doesn't give him a longer coffee break or lets him go home early.

Leaving your tray behind has NOTHING to do with laziness or "tolerance of filth" as some call it. In the end, the man is just doing his job. You want to do his job for him? Go right ahead, never said anything is wrong with that, but if I want to let him do his job then don't call me lazy, it has nothing to do with it.

All is good :D :koolaid:

there isn't even this much talk about garbage at coward meetings. (so I've heard :whistling: )

Fixed.

#179 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Whatever Rowdy, you're way off base. It's not a matter of laziness, I clean up after myself quite well thank you.

I just don't see why I should do SOMEONE ELSES JOB. What is so hard to understand about that?

---

You know, I'm gonna bring that restaurant analogy back but a little different. When you enter a restaurant, do you pick up the menus and silverware as you go in or do you let the hostess/waitress do it? When you are done ordering, do you put the menus back near the entrance instead of letting the waitress do it? If the soda fountain is outside the kitchen, do you get your own drinks? When you leave, do you wipe off the table or do you let the busboy do it? How about the bill? These are all things you can do which are not in restricted areas, but do you do them? If not, why not?

Once again all of those things involve going out of your way whereas taking your garbage with you on the way out does not.

If it's not laziness then what is it? I doubt you seriously leave your garbage behind to prevent someone from getting laid off.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#180 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Once again all of those things involve going out of your way whereas taking your garbage with you on the way out does not.

If it's not laziness then what is it? I doubt you seriously leave your garbage behind to prevent someone from getting laid off.

I ask again then, you only throw out your tray because it's convenient? If the trash cans were not in your path to the exit you wouldn't do it? Now who's lazy? Oh and menus and silverware are on the way in to the restaurant, not out of the way. The other things, maybe.

No, I don't not do it to save someones job. Just because I leave something behind for someone else to pick up (whose job it is to do so) doesn't make me lazy. If i didn't throw my trash out at a McDonald's then yah, you can call me lazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users