74 replies to this topic

#21 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Assume I'm a non-playing genius all you want, because you're wrong. I won't assume that you don't play the game (but if you play "deck" hockey, please...deck hockey is a joke) because that's just asinine.

You said it spot on: Henrik's pads are within league regulation . So if they were "too big" *gasp* they would be deemed illegal. Sadly that is not the case.

And who says I'm mad? I thought we had a pretty successful season and - truth be told - I very much enjoyed the majority of the regular season and particularly the first round of the playoffs.

I'm not entirely sure why the "bitterness." Because I wil be the first to admit the ranger's faults, your utter domination of us in the past, etc.

But when we "win" and you blame "the pads" of a goalie, that's just pathetic. Suck it up.

Obviously his pads are too big if they are taking steps once again to reduce pad size limits. Nobody argues the legality of his pads, it's the weak restrictions that people have a problem with.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#22 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

well taking personal shots at each other's hockey status is dumb, since we don't know each other, so we should probably stop with that. there was no bitterness towards you, since i know you guys were better than us last season. i never said they were too big, i was stating that henrik's skill is mostly in his equipment. the smaller they make the league maximum, the worse he will become.

You're right. So let me sincerely say that I apologize for any personal jabs that I have taken. I'm sorry.

As for Henrik's skill in his equipment? I guess all I can do is wait for these "changes" to be made and hope for the best. Truth be told, it wouldn't surprise me if opposing rivals found some other excuse for his apparent lack of skill.

and just to start a fun argument, you guys didn't have a successful season. all that money, all those goal scorers, and the highest paid goaltender in the league ( :giggle:) ...and another 2nd round exit. have fun missing the playoffs this year, and if you somehow do slip in, you won't make it past the first round.

We shall see. Our chemistry was God awful last season, and personally I agree with didn't have a successful season with the money we spend. As for our goalie? Ah, he's doing just fine :P

Missing the playoffs? I love it! May I keep this this quote for the end of next season? Pretty please :dance:

...all in good fun, buddy.

#23 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

well taking personal shots at each other's hockey status is dumb, since we don't know each other, so we should probably stop with that. there was no bitterness towards you, since i know you guys were better than us last season. i never said they were too big, i was stating that henrik's skill is mostly in his equipment. the smaller they make the league maximum, the worse he will become.

and just to start a fun argument, you guys didn't have a successful season. all that money, all those goal scorers, and the highest paid goaltender in the league ( :giggle:) ...and another 2nd round exit. have fun missing the playoffs this year, and if you somehow do slip in, you won't make it past the first round.

Agreed. Also why the hell is a ranger fan in a DEVILS FORUM? :noclue:
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#24 DEVILS>Rangers

DEVILS>Rangers

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Missing the playoffs? I love it! May I keep this this quote for the end of next season? Pretty please :dance:

...all in good fun, buddy.

i dont know why you are gonna love missing the playoffs. rangers fans dont make any sense to me :noclue:

#25 handofdoom

handofdoom

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

i started the personal shots, my fault.

and yes, just for fun keep the quote.

and i am afraid of zherdev this season, he is nasty. that's probably the only good move you guys have done this season
Posted Image

#26 Rangerfans

Rangerfans

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

i started the personal shots, my fault.

and yes, just for fun keep the quote.

and i am afraid of zherdev this season, he is nasty. that's probably the only good move you guys have done this season

I agree. And may I say - for the 1,000th time - I HATE the Redden deal.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

#27 brodeurgirl30

brodeurgirl30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Ok. So I compiled some pics from gettyimages of Marty and Henrik. I tried to find pics that were the same size and as close as possible to a similar shot. I found a profile shot to compare shoulder and chest protectors, a standing non-action shot to compare leg pads, and a butt shot via goal cam to compare goalie pants. Just interesting and gives some visuals to our discussion this afternoon.

Henrik standing
Posted Image
Marty standing
Posted Image
Henrik profile
Posted Image
Marty profile
Posted Image
Henrik Butt
Posted Image
Marty Butt :uni: :wub:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Brodeur's 2002 Olympic Gold Medal
The kisses on the back of Marty's mask
Travis Zajac

After Marty got so mad at his sons for throwing thunderstick packages onto the ice during a
Devils / Rangers game~
"I explained to them that by doing what they had done, they were basically acting like Rangers fans." ~Marty Brodeur - Beyond the Crease

#28 DEVILS>Rangers

DEVILS>Rangers

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Ok. So I compiled some pics from gettyimages of Marty and Henrik. I tried to find pics that were the same size and as close as possible to a similar shot. I found a profile shot to compare shoulder and chest protectors, a standing non-action shot to compare leg pads, and a butt shot via goal cam to compare goalie pants. Just interesting and gives some visuals to our discussion this afternoon.

Henrik profile
Posted Image
Marty profile
Posted Image

so who's the real fatso
this proves it :boogie:

#29 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Im not that nervous of Zherdev, he is a great player but he is really lazy. If he shapes up then maybe he will be something to be nervous of, but he really needs to wake up and realize the talent he has. Hes shown it in bits and pieces, so he could do it.

#30 brodeurgirl30

brodeurgirl30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

so who's the real fatso
this proves it

Yeah, I've always noticed Henry's shoulders and chest protection as being crazy more so than his pads (although they are big, too). I thought the same with Giggy.

Edited by brodeurgirl30, 20 July 2008 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Brodeur's 2002 Olympic Gold Medal
The kisses on the back of Marty's mask
Travis Zajac

After Marty got so mad at his sons for throwing thunderstick packages onto the ice during a
Devils / Rangers game~
"I explained to them that by doing what they had done, they were basically acting like Rangers fans." ~Marty Brodeur - Beyond the Crease

#31 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

It's fun watching the rags self-destruct. It seems like whenever they get a taste of being semi-good they go and fvck it up. You know, comparable to a premature ejaculation. Only 1 year have they gotten it right in the past 68 years. Cue the Joker's sarcastic clap.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#32 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Can someone answer me a question, because I've failed to figure this one out.

Ok...people complain about the "crazy" thigh guards that up from the "thigh" and are used predominately by butterfly goalies so when they "close" their legs per se, the gap is immediately shut. Ok, so I can see how those can benefit the 5-hole.

...but if a goalie extends his leg to make a pad save, how can a thigh guard which (again) is at the thigh, assist in a PAD save that hits near his shin.

Hmm....

Anybody who's ever read the NHL's rules on goalie equipment should know that it's about protecting the player, not about protecting the puck.

Look back at goalies 20 years ago, that's where it is intended to be. Basically, they should be like a regular player, nearly as mobile, just with extra padding so they're not injured. Even ten years ago, pads weren't huge, and you still had goalies who genuinely couldn't cover so much of the net. Watch Classic NHL on NHL Network, and see goalies like Andy Moog who were just like regular players, even in the nineties.

But this is what bothers me about the trapezoid rule. Besides the fact that it limits talent, it also ruins the goalie being part of play because it confines them to a very small area they can play in. They no longer can move, so they no longer need to move, so they start to look like Michelin men to protect "themselves." I know it's all within the rules but that's not the intention of the rule. I hope the NHL recognizes that.

I don't fault Henrik or those who defend him. It's the league's fault for letting it get out of hand, and stupid rules like trapezoid rule just put salt in the wound. They better get their act together and fix it, because it's so drastically different now...the league wants to influence scoring? Only one thing has changed in the last ten years, and it should be pretty obvious by now what it is.

#33 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Anybody who's ever read the NHL's rules on goalie equipment should know that it's about protecting the player, not about protecting the puck.

Look back at goalies 20 years ago, that's where it is intended to be. Basically, they should be like a regular player, nearly as mobile, just with extra padding so they're not injured. Even ten years ago, pads weren't huge, and you still had goalies who genuinely couldn't cover so much of the net. Watch Classic NHL on NHL Network, and see goalies like Andy Moog who were just like regular players, even in the nineties.

But this is what bothers me about the trapezoid rule. Besides the fact that it limits talent, it also ruins the goalie being part of play because it confines them to a very small area they can play in. They no longer can move, so they no longer need to move, so they start to look like Michelin men to protect "themselves." I know it's all within the rules but that's not the intention of the rule. I hope the NHL recognizes that.

I don't fault Henrik or those who defend him. It's the league's fault for letting it get out of hand, and stupid rules like trapezoid rule just put salt in the wound. They better get their act together and fix it, because it's so drastically different now...the league wants to influence scoring? Only one thing has changed in the last ten years, and it should be pretty obvious by now what it is.

Agreed
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#34 CerebralGenesis

CerebralGenesis

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

I think the problem is the league regulation idiot

#35 MrQuotes

MrQuotes

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:45 AM

i agree with the article... but "manny being manny" rolls off the tongue so much more smoother than "jaomir being jaomir"
Posted Image

Keeper of Newark Arena's first mugging victim

#36 daneyko_booster

daneyko_booster

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

That was actually Islander's owner Charles Wang's idea. He proposed to get sumo wrestlers and use them as goalies.

...taken directly from The Mighty Ducks! Good ol' Goldberg...creator of the "Fat kid = goalie" stereotype for years to come.

I hate that movie.

That idea pre-dates both Wang and the Mighty Ducks. It's been around hockey for a long long time. There's also a scene in the Running Man with a Sumo sized goalie. At any rate, here's a hilarious article about it, where they tested out the theory with the Capitals a couple years back:

Could a morbidly obese goalie shut out an NHL team?
Official Keeper of Ken Daneyko's missing teeth, Jeff Friesen's moustache, Shanahan's Pub in the CAA concourse (only place you could buy Guinness). Unofficial Keeper of Wayne Gretzky's perm.

#37 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

Could a morbidly obese goalie shut out an NHL team?

The guy who wrote that is a jackass, he takes unnecessary jabs at the sport throughout the entire article and I can't believe he actually called up the NHL office to ask such an idiotic question.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#38 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

The guy who wrote that is a jackass, he takes unnecessary jabs at the sport throughout the entire article and I can't believe he actually called up the NHL office to ask such an idiotic question.

Maybe HE is a morbidly fat guy and looking to augment his $100 per week job as a writer. ;)
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#39 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

...and another 2nd round exit. have fun missing the playoffs this year, and if you somehow do slip in, you won't make it past the first round.

You do recall that the Devils couldn't beat the Rangers to save their life last year, correct?

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,445 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

This is actually a pretty terrible article, I can't believe you guys are agreeing with it - it's full of all the horrid Brooksian logic we've come to know and love.

Shanahan and Avery give Brooks good quotes, and two of the three new guys are foreigners - that's for starters.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users