• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 RangerBill

RangerBill

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Anybody who's ever read the NHL's rules on goalie equipment should know that it's about protecting the player, not about protecting the puck.

Look back at goalies 20 years ago, that's where it is intended to be. Basically, they should be like a regular player, nearly as mobile, just with extra padding so they're not injured. Even ten years ago, pads weren't huge, and you still had goalies who genuinely couldn't cover so much of the net. Watch Classic NHL on NHL Network, and see goalies like Andy Moog who were just like regular players, even in the nineties.

But this is what bothers me about the trapezoid rule. Besides the fact that it limits talent, it also ruins the goalie being part of play because it confines them to a very small area they can play in. They no longer can move, so they no longer need to move, so they start to look like Michelin men to protect "themselves." I know it's all within the rules but that's not the intention of the rule. I hope the NHL recognizes that.

I don't fault Henrik or those who defend him. It's the league's fault for letting it get out of hand, and stupid rules like trapezoid rule just put salt in the wound. They better get their act together and fix it, because it's so drastically different now...the league wants to influence scoring? Only one thing has changed in the last ten years, and it should be pretty obvious by now what it is.

I was a pro shop manager for 15 years, and worked with a minor league goalie who also palyed in the Russian league. In the NHL, there are limits on the size of the leg pads, width and length. Some goalies use the longest leg pads available to them, mostly the more non-moblie goalies. A goaltender that like to chase the puck and challenge shooters will use a shorter leg pad for added mobility. Both are within the rules. All goalie pads are measured before games, usage and water cause some pads to shrink.
I would like to see regulations on the size of catching gloves, they are more like peach baskets with webbing. As far as the trapezoid, get rif of it, but all goalies become fair game. With the fantastic advancements in equipment, they can stad to be hit a few times!

#42 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

You do recall that the Devils couldn't beat the Rangers to save their life last year, correct?

You do recall that the Rangers team this year is completely different than the team last year, correct?

Edited by devils26, 21 July 2008 - 11:52 AM.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#43 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

I was a pro shop manager for 15 years, and worked with a minor league goalie who also palyed in the Russian league. In the NHL, there are limits on the size of the leg pads, width and length. Some goalies use the longest leg pads available to them, mostly the more non-moblie goalies. A goaltender that like to chase the puck and challenge shooters will use a shorter leg pad for added mobility. Both are within the rules. All goalie pads are measured before games, usage and water cause some pads to shrink.
I would like to see regulations on the size of catching gloves, they are more like peach baskets with webbing. As far as the trapezoid, get rif of it, but all goalies become fair game. With the fantastic advancements in equipment, they can stad to be hit a few times!

I like the idea of letting goalies be fair game in theory, the only problem is the equipment isn't designed to absorb hits. And yea catching gloves are ridiculous.

Where were you a pro shop manager? I work at one now.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#44 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,497 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Goalies can't be fair game. I still can't believe that idea comes up from time to time. Sure lets have the guy with all the awkward padding on have guys hit them full force and lets watch a lot of the leagues star goalies go down with knee problems. It would add almost no extra interest in the game but would provide the odd horrific injury that would put less talent in the league and dissapoint a fanbase.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#45 handofdoom

handofdoom

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

You do recall that the Devils couldn't beat the Rangers to save their life last year, correct?

i wasn't aware that last year effected this year. and while we're on the topic of track records, you do recall the rangers couldn't beat the devils to save their lives for...i don't know TEN YEARS!
Posted Image

#46 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

Goalies can't be fair game. I still can't believe that idea comes up from time to time. Sure lets have the guy with all the awkward padding on have guys hit them full force and lets watch a lot of the leagues star goalies go down with knee problems. It would add almost no extra interest in the game but would provide the odd horrific injury that would put less talent in the league and dissapoint a fanbase.

Yea that's why it sounds good in theory, but wouldn't actually work.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Goalies can't be fair game. I still can't believe that idea comes up from time to time.

That idea is only presented by people who don't follow teams with puck-handling goalies.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#48 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

i wasn't aware that last year effected this year. and while we're on the topic of track records, you do recall the rangers couldn't beat the devils to save their lives for...i don't know TEN YEARS!

Lol you tell him.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#49 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

Goalies used to be fair game at one time in the dim, dark past of hockey. If they came out of the net to play the puck ANYWHERE, they were wide open for destruction by the forward or dman that came into their end of the ice intent on mayhem directed at the crease critters.

In a word, there were no such words as goalie obstruction unless it actually occured IN THE CREASE. To my bloody chagrin, the damn league did away with that in an effort to cover their asses in the wake of the Hull No Goal debacle against the Mad Goats in the SC finals. Brett was IN Hasek's crease when he scored that goal and the league did nothing about it accept to rewrite the rulebook. I'll never forgive them for that as long as I live. Lord Stanley must be performing handstands and somersaults in his grave.

If the league is intent on taking the goalies out of the equation wrt playing the puck in their end of the ice, take a journey back to the days of the Wild West, do away with not allowing goalies to be touched OUTSIDE THE CREASE, and believe me the critters will not venture into the corners or ANYWHERE for that matter OUTSIDE OF THE CREASE in search of the ever illusive puck for fear of getting their clocks cleaned and their bodies bent into pretzel shapes.

There was a day................believe me there was a day, when goalies lived in fear of getting drilled or knew that they would and didn't give a flying rat's hind leg and ventured out anyway.

:blink:
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#50 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

Agreed. Also why the hell is a ranger fan in a DEVILS FORUM? :noclue:

Because, no exaggeration now, he is the greatest person...ever.

Seriously. Ask him about the time he pushed a 12-year-old Devils fan away from in front of a speeding bus.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#51 RangerBill

RangerBill

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

I like the idea of letting goalies be fair game in theory, the only problem is the equipment isn't designed to absorb hits. And yea catching gloves are ridiculous.

Where were you a pro shop manager? I work at one now.

I worked for C&L Sports when it was in E. Hanover and Monsey, N.Y. (at Sport-o-rama) I put on a goalie chest and arm and the sales rep hit it with a baseball bat, not full force but a good blow. I didn't feel a thing. These things are designed to absorb slapshots over 100 mph. I say let them be fair game, outside of the crease. Goalies that aren't big or not excellent skaters will stay between the pipes and the more courageous will stray from time to time.

#52 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

Teams have too much invested in goalies, both in terms of $$$$ as well as their success - they need to be protected.

#53 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

I worked for C&L Sports when it was in E. Hanover and Monsey, N.Y. (at Sport-o-rama) I put on a goalie chest and arm and the sales rep hit it with a baseball bat, not full force but a good blow. I didn't feel a thing. These things are designed to absorb slapshots over 100 mph. I say let them be fair game, outside of the crease. Goalies that aren't big or not excellent skaters will stay between the pipes and the more courageous will stray from time to time.

Yea they are designed for that type of impact, that's different from being wiped out by a guy barreling into you. The big bulky leg pads I think might cause some awkward falls and result in a lot of knee problems if goalies were getting bodychecked. Also there is usually not much protection in the back of the chest protector.
--John Buccigross

#54 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

Because, no exaggeration now, he is the greatest person...ever.

Seriously. Ask him about the time he pushed a 12-year-old Devils fan away from in front of a speeding bus.

Enough already.

Can you exchange love letters in PM's from now on?

Posted Image

#55 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

The whole theory of making goalies fair game outside of the crease opens the league up to three ugly words: Intent To Injure. Everyone knows that making them fair game opens a whole Pandora's box of guys like Tucker or Avery taking unwarranted runs at goalies. That's actually the idea behind it. That goalies would think twice before leaving the crease for fear of getting hurt. And goalies WILL get hurt. Moreso than they already do. Anyone who thinks the level of contact that goalies already have to endure outside the crease isn't enough is just hoping for injuries. This idea and the logic behind it is so bush league that it makes my brain hurt.

Again, this concept is ONLY proposed by those who don't follow teams with puck-handling goalies. Just like the trapezoid.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#56 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Can you exchange love letters in PM's from now on?

Heh...

NO.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#57 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

Heh...

NO.

It wasn't a joke.

Posted Image

#58 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

It wasn't a joke.

Okay.

*wink-wink*

No joke. Got it.

*wink-wink*

#59 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Okay.

*wink-wink*

No joke. Got it.

*wink-wink*

I'd take these wise ass posts any day instead of those bullsh!t posts with the Rangers fans.

Posted Image

#60 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

I'd take these wise ass posts any day instead of those bullsh!t posts with the Rangers fans.

A-HA! So that's the problem...me mugging it up with Rangers fans.

It's not a war, brother. They're people, too. I think.

C'mon, ya little scamp. Let's get some ice cream. It's on me. I'll even spring for sprinkles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users