23 replies to this topic

#21 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Seattle seems like a logical choice, esp since a Seattle team is already on the SC. But the town is not really a big sports town. There a a lot of people who just moved there and have zero allegiance to anything Seattle based. Like the Devils, it would take a generation to develop a fan base. There isn't even a minor league team in town. The nearest team is the Everrett Silvertips, and they are 45minutes north of downtown. Kevin Constantine did well coaching the Silvertips after he left NJD.

Houston, on the other hand, has possibilities. There are Aeros (IHL) fans in town already. An NHL franchise would let them catch up to Dallas, which is a huge thing in TX. And did I mention the 4MM people who live there? OK, it might take a bit of work to convince all those Mexicans that hockey is like soccer, only colder...............
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#22 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Seattle seems like a logical choice, esp since a Seattle team is already on the SC. But the town is not really a big sports town. There a a lot of people who just moved there and have zero allegiance to anything Seattle based. Like the Devils, it would take a generation to develop a fan base. There isn't even a minor league team in town. The nearest team is the Everrett Silvertips, and they are 45minutes north of downtown. Kevin Constantine did well coaching the Silvertips after he left NJD.

Last I checked, the Seattle Thunderbirds still existed. I agree with your statement about Seattle being full of transplants, though. As nice as it would be to have the NHL in Seattle, I wonder if the area is capable of producing an NHL-sized fanbase.

Houston, on the other hand, has possibilities. There are Aeros (IHL) fans in town already. An NHL franchise would let them catch up to Dallas, which is a huge thing in TX. And did I mention the 4MM people who live there? OK, it might take a bit of work to convince all those Mexicans that hockey is like soccer, only colder...............

The Aeros are in the AHL. They have been ever since the "real" IHL folded back in 2001. (Pay no attention to the UHL currently doing business as the IHL.) The Aeros draw well, but the main obstacle to Houston going to the NHL is the owner of the Rockets and the arena that the Rockets and Aeros share (the name of which escapes me currently). He barely tolerates the Aeros as it is, there's no way he'd let the NHL into his arena to compete with his NBA pride and joy unless he had an ownership interest in the NHL team.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Seattle rabidly supports the Seahawks - whereas Houston is mostly a sports city nightmare, having had an NFL franchise leave town despite it being one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country for 20 years. It's one of the worst sports cities in the country behind Atlanta.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

I think it would be just as much of a mistake as putting the New Jersey Devils in an already saturated New York market. Except that I can absolutely assure you that, unlike the Devils, Hamilton would sell out. In the NHL gate and corporate backing are the biggest revenue drivers and Hamilton has that in spades. Side revenues such as merchandising may not do so well as Kitchener fans that are currently Leaf fans may switch their allegiances and buy Hamilton jerseys instead of Toronto jerseys.

The issue isn't how much Hamilton makes it's how much Hamilton makes for the other teams. If Hamilton sells out every game great but that doesn't make the other 30 teams another dime (and don't give me the revenue sharing argument because another team would then fill that role). The issue what will a Hamilton team do to the other teams. Well for one it may kill the Buffalo Sabres because now you have a team entering the territory of an already small market team. Sure fans coming acorss the border may be a small percetage but they are in a situation where every little bit counts. Let's remember despite sellingout every game they take in significantly less through the gate than the Devils. Furthermore they are also moving into the Leafs territory and while it won't make a huge den tinto their profits it will take a bit of their value away as they aren't the sole team in that huge market.

Thise two factors alone probably knockout Hamilton. Then you have to look at the effect they will have on other teams gate. Are they going to be another Ottawa Senators that despite playing in Toronto and Montreal 8 times last year ranked 28th in road attendance. BTW, the next lowest Northeastern division team in road attendance is Montreal at 11th. I'm not saying Nashville or such would draw in other fans but having a team in a city where a lot American team fans can't find on the map won't help.

Now the next question is will Hamilton bring more money into the next CBC and TSN contracts. Maybe a little of TSN because that a few extra Canadian games they can show but I doubt it would for CBC. They already don't show all the Senators saturday games and I doubt they would do anything but regional coverage (if that) for a Hamilton team.

Further more is the risk of the preception of an unstable league by team movement (to anywhere) worth it? I don't know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users