31 replies to this topic

#21 $$BigTime$$

$$BigTime$$

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Anybody else have high hopes for young federov??

I want Vrana and Bergfors making the team before this guy. If Federov can play well in camp then it is a bonus and we can throw him on the 4th line instead of RUPP. I hightly doubt he makes the team. IMO. Where would he fit anyway? This line-up is pretty deep unless we trade someone.

Parise-Rolston-Elias
Gionta-Zajac-Lagenbrunner
Pando-Madden-Zubrus
Clarkson-Holik-Rupp
Reserves: Bergfors/Vrana

I have high hopes for either Salmela, Corrente, or Eckford. I think one of these guys will make the team and be a good puck moving D-guy we needed.

#22 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Not really. I remembered him as a stiff, but that might have been perception. He looks pretty skillful in highlight videos, but the defense and goaltending in them are totally atrocious. Apparently, no RSL goalies (in that video) understand the concept of the pokecheck.

The biggest issue with this guy is he has a very large reputation as a dick, especially compared to his stature as a player. Don't think that's a big deal, because if he doesn't make the team, I don't see why they'll have him poison Lowell, I wouldn't be surprised if he just went AWOL and went home.

#23 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

We'll call him "Pinto"
It's the whiskey talking.

#24 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

I wouldn't say I have high hopes for him but I say let's give him a chance. What have the Devils got to lose? :noclue: .

I watched him do an awful lot of floating when he played here with the Moose but everybody can change, right? Like others have posted, is he worse than the other options?

The Devils have seen something in him that has made them want to take a look at him so that is good enough for me.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

I wouldn't say I have high hopes for him but I say let's give him a chance. What have the Devils got to lose? :noclue: .

I watched him do an awful lot of floating when he played here with the Moose but everybody can change, right? Like others have posted, is he worse than the other options?

The Devils have seen something in him that has made them want to take a look at him so that is good enough for me.

I agree. I'm not expecting Fedorov to make the team or be a difference maker, but there is no harm in giving him a shot. I don't understand why people seem to be so disappointed with Lou's signing of this guy. If it works out, then its a good move at a good price, if it doesn't then there is a minimal loss. I'm sure Lou and his scouts have been doing their work and feel this guy has a legitimate chance to help the team.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

And Mike Mottau was part of 4 organizations before landing in New Jersey, where he proved himself a capable 3rd pairing guy, getting a 47 in Alan Ryder's Hockey Analytics (similar to the score of Fedor Tyutin and Wade Redden - actually, Jagr only had a 54 himself).

Ok, you guys use his number for Mottau, Tyutin and Redden...then dismiss them for Zherdev because he got a very good score. Make up your mind - are the numbers legit, or BS? Also, in the Zherdev thread some of you made Tyutin to be the second coming of....Scott Stevens - and I do not think Scott would score a 47 in Ryder's thing...

As for Columbus - didn't they have Fedorov in the AHL and not give him a sniff? If so, to me that is passing on him.

Bottom line, Fedorov gets a shot because of his size, skill and (probably most importantl) his last name. Until now the guy has never put it together on this side of the Atlantic. If he works out, great, if not, so what - I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

If you ask me, who is going to start the 7 or so games Brodeur doesn't has a bigger impact on the Devils season then does Fedor...

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,088 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

Ok, you guys use his number for Mottau, Tyutin and Redden...then dismiss them for Zherdev because he got a very good score. Make up your mind - are the numbers legit, or BS? Also, in the Zherdev thread some of you made Tyutin to be the second coming of....Scott Stevens - and I do not think Scott would score a 47 in Ryder's thing...

I wasn't around for that thread, I don't think. All I know is that Zherdev did get a very good score, but he also got a terrible score the previous year, and that my guess is that he falls in between the two this coming season, probably near the upper end.

Bottom line, Fedorov gets a shot because of his size, skill and (probably most importantl) his last name. Until now the guy has never put it together on this side of the Atlantic. If he works out, great, if not, so what - I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

I don't know why you're making such a big issue over it. You seem to think Fedorov can't be a decent 4th line contributor - I think he can. I don't think it's a particularly good signing, but it's not worth one laughing over, either. He provides depth if Vrana and/or Bergfors can't hack it, he's got more potential than either Pelley or Rupp, and is probably better than both Tallackson and Clarke, the two forward callups from last season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

just ignore the post above you.

assists are given out much less frequently in the russian league. for example, fedor's team scored 132 goals and had 178 assists. the devils scored 198 goals and had 346 assists.

the scoring in the russian league is about on par with the NHL, but fedor's team was not a good scoring one, and he was 4th in scoring on his team, and he got shorted a bunch of assists he would've had in the NHL. adjust it for a league average russian offense and give him 30% more assists, and his scoring looks something like 15 goals and 17 assists in 50 games, which is looking quite a bit better.

Once again shows why swept the Board Awards last year. I don't know of many analysts who would have though of that.. and getting the stats was awesome.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#29 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Who knows, maybe some of his issues were maturity and he's worked them out.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#30 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

As for Columbus - didn't they have Fedorov in the AHL and not give him a sniff? If so, to me that is passing on him.

If you ask me, who is going to start the 7 or so games Brodeur doesn't has a bigger impact on the Devils season then does Fedor...

It's mid-late July. The big free agent signings are done. The arbitration hearings aren't happening yet. This is basically the single most boring time of the year for an NHL fan. I don't think you'll see anyone on here who thought he was the second coming. Some people just thought that with, as you pointed out, his size and his skill he might make more of an impact on the 4th line than some other people who have been playing there recently so it might be an OK signing. He basically signed for the league minimum. However, he's now a part of the organization, it's the most barren part of the year to discuss hockey and, geez, you'll find people on a NJ Devils board discussing it. Color me shocked. Are you saying people should ignore it? What's the so-called big news you think they should be discussing right now that hasn't been kicked to death on the board???

BTW, Weekes is the backup. As long as he actually plays semi-regularly, we don't really have a problem with him.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#31 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

Almost sounds like something that could have been written when the Devs acquired Viktor Kozlov - but they were honestly depending on him to work out well.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#32 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

I just find it funny that you guys are getting excited about someone who even if he pans out really means squat.

I'm not sure if you're actually reading this thread, but the popular opinion around here seems to be that he might make the team as a 3rd/4th liner, might end up in Lowell, or might go AWOL and head back to Russia (given the IIHF lifts its suspension). To me, that doesn't translate into "getting excited."

We agree with you, dude. Relax.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users