Photo

Leafs, Devs, Bruins trying to land Bouwmeester..

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

http://www.hockeybuz...p?post_id=16333

Talking to sources in Toronto today it has become obvious to me that Jay Bouwmeester is VERY much available. Although I continue to hear that the Sens, Sabres, Avalanche, Blues and Kings have serious interest, one source told me that "In my opinion, and according to several of the scouts I have met with, the Maple Leafs, Bruins and Devils my be offering up the most.

Get it done Lou.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#2 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

If Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) is right i will never ever mock him again.

CMON LOU :pray:

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#3 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

Quoting sideshow Mel from the Simpsons: Hey, look, it's Internet buffoon, Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)!

This makes me, in a way, hoping that summer was already over and preseason at hand. So thered be some more actual hockey talk instead of this load of bull.

Edited by dali, 24 July 2008 - 07:48 AM.

Ghost of the offseason past.

#4 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

This makes me sad since the Devils getting JBo is so much less now
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

The saddest thing about this is the Devils are mentioned in the same breath as the Bruins and the Leafs...not good sentence-mates...
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#6 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

I've mentioned it before - if the Devs can nab Jay B., I think this team has a true shot at cup contention. Jay B. plays big minutes in Florida, similar to Paul Martin, but I think has a greater potential offensive upside, and could definitely develop into one of the elite. Trade Gionta and Greene for Jay B., or something similar, and then we have one more forward slot open for a rookie out of camp or F. Fedorov if he impresses.

Before people harp about "why the Gionta hate", there is none. I like the guy a lot. But in terms of tradeable assets, he's one of the only ones we have that we can A) afford to trade and B) has some market value. *Afford to trade meaning based on team make-up (not dollars), the future, youth, potential, etc.

Lock Jay B. up to a 6 year deal or so, and then I think we'd look pretty good on D.

At any rate, it's only Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), I know, and honestly, who among us couldn't have also guessed this as a rumor? IE, NJ's defense is decent, but not great (overall) (the thing we were previously known for), and Jay B. is going to arbitration (these kinds of players always seem available since they usually get only 1-year deals lately, and then leave for nothing). This is a logical rumor that any of us could have suggested, so on that, hopefully it comes true.

#7 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

It'll take more the Gionta and a 4th line D-Man
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#8 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

Trade Gionta and Greene for Jay B., or something similar,

IMO, Florida would want a lot more than that.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#9 Richer's Ghost

Richer's Ghost

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

Sure... he has lou's cellphone too.

Edited by Richer's Ghost, 24 July 2008 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image

Ranger Hate is not a crime.

#10 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:48 AM

Atleast we can dream right?
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#11 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

I'm not so sure... sometimes you see players traded for almost nothing in this new NHL - guys that you would expect have value, but for some reason it doesn't translate. Everyone thought Bryzgalov would fetch a decent deal or at least a draft pick, and he was thrown on waivers. Who did we trade for Salvador, a legitimate defensive defender... Janssen, our 4th line guy who never played. I think there's more petty politics to trading players than the fans know about.

Still, it all depends on how it's promoted. Gionta, on our team anyway, has been a top line player (and 2nd line), and Greene is "an up and coming defenseman." All the same, no one knows what it would take, including me, but the goal every year and the scale by which our team is measured is the cup. In other words, I'd have no problem throwing a 2nd round draft pick their way, in addition to Gionta/Greene for Jay B. since I truly believe we aren't too many pieces away from having a great team. Greene isn't a big loss, since we don't have a spot for him anyway, but I think he may have some value for teams looking to rebuild/retool, especially teams that understand the value of a player who knows how to play a system (as is the rap about NJ players).

Gio+Greene+2nd for Jay B. is good by me, but it's because I am very high on Jay. B (I bet you would, Panama Red), and think he's a great investment in our future this season and for seasons to come.

#12 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

Maybe we can throw in Federov too, that would tip the deal.

All kidding aside, love to see him here.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#13 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:55 AM

Gio+Greene+2nd for Jay B. is good by me, but it's because I am very high on Jay. B (I bet you would, Panama Red), and think he's a great investment in our future this season and for seasons to come.

Other teams will blow that offer out of the water. You're trading a guy who is making 4 million and a free agent after the year, a defenseman who may or may not turn out to be NHL worthy, and a 2nd rounder for a young all-star defenseman who is still getting better.

You may feel good about throwing in a 2nd round pick to that deal but Florida would still laugh at that offer. Florida would probably start the talks about something like Zajac, Corrente, and some type of pick.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#14 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

IMO, Florida would want a lot more than that.

What do the Leafs have left to give?

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#15 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

You may feel good about throwing in a 2nd round pick to that deal but Florida would still laugh at that offer. Florida would probably start the talks about something like Zajac, Corrente, and some type of pick.

Zajac? Please god no...anybody but Zajac. /endsarcasm
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#16 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

We'll just have to see if anything transpires. I'm not so certain you're right about other teams blowing us out of the water. You could be right. You may not be. And if that were the case, as you suggest, I'd prob have no problem trading Corrente either, an untested, non-NHL ready defenseman for Jay B., a guy who is getting better every year, average 27+ icetime minutes, and has the potential to be a 50-point defenseman (and is big, fast, and can score goals). Gio+Corrente, also fine by me. At any rate, I simply hope we do trade for Jay B., as I would love him here, and I think he'd be a great fit.

We'd have a SOLID D-core (in no particular pairing order):

Martin/White
Bouwmeester/Salvador
Mottau/Oduya
*Vishnevski

#17 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

To NJ:
Bouwmeester
To Fla:
Gionta
Vishnevski
and a pick if they dont just want Gionta and Vishnevski straight up.

#18 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

To NJ:
Bouwmeester
To Fla:
Gionta
Vishnevski
and a pick if they dont just want Gionta and Vishnevski straight up.

Why would Florida ever want to do that? So because they don't want to pay JBo long term they'll take on 6 million dollars in salary this season and be left with Vishnevski only next season plus maybe a pick if you're feeling generous? Could we try to come up with ideas Florida would want to do instead of just throwing Devil spare parts at Florida?

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#19 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Sure. Gionta+Corrente. Covered that in my last post. Gionta is not a spare part, he's a top 6 forward. I agree Vishnevski ain't happening, though. But I also think Greene has more appeal than Vishnevski since he's unproven and people don't know really what he brings or could develop into (looked pretty darn good in his first stint on the team, Greene did), but Vish is a no go for sure.

#20 CMONLOU

CMONLOU

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

CMON LOU :pray:

Wait, you called?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users