The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:32 PM

Sather pins the blame
on Rangers fans

http://www.nydailyne...88p-68084c.html

No further evidence is needed to show how clueless Rangers brass is, but that didn't stop Glen Sather from providing more in an interview with MSG's Sam Rosen.
On "SportsDesk" Saturday night, Sather scapegoated fans, telling Rosen when they boo the Rangers they are hurting the team. Sather said he knew it was "a tough psychological thing" for Rangers loyalists to cheer the team when it is not playing well.

"Well, that's the way it works in sports. You cheer and help the team get better. You boo them, they get worse," Sather said. "It's the same as your children. If you have a child who is having trouble in school and you berate him every day he's never going to get any better. You encourage him. ... he'll get better."

Neither Rosen nor "SportsDesk" anchors Steve Cangialosi and Jenna Wolfe offered commentary on Sather's remarks, which needed to be challenged.

If the real problem is fans booing during six years of Ranger failure, Cablevision should have stopped selling tickets to Rangers games.

Speaking of ducats, any fan who paid through the nose to see gutless/heartless play on a nightly basis had every right to boo.

If Sather was telling the truth, he should have advised fans to boo him. After all, he's the one who has constructed and subsidized The James Dolan Home For Retired Hockey Players. And as far as Sather's comparison of the Rangers to a child's performance in school, well, if your kid was left back six consecutive years you might be inclined to boo him, too.

This is from Bob Raistman TV Sports critic for the Daily News.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:46 PM

what a freakin' joke. I am at a loss for words.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#3 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:48 PM

haahhahahahahahahaha
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#4 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:48 PM

Sorry I forgot when our team does bad were supposed to cheer because they gave it a good try. That only makes them play like that night after night. Another horrible comparison by Sather kids and hockey cmon. Someone should beat Sather down like a red headed step child.

#5 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:50 PM

He's a moron.

Whole organization are idiots.

And know what the great thing is? I will be saying the same thing this time next year as well.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#6 Blackjack

Blackjack

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I try not to boo my kids :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#7 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:58 PM

Heh, nice pictures there Blackjack!

#8 Blackjack

Blackjack

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:02 PM

Thank you!

#9 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:13 PM

That's pathetic.

The only person Sather needs to blame is himself.

#10 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:17 PM

If Sather was telling the truth, he should have advised fans to boo him. After all, he's the one who has constructed and subsidized The James Dolan Home For Retired Hockey Players. :lol:

Priceless! :lol:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#11 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:29 PM

I'm one of the first ones to get on the fans when they're too quick to boo or get negative, but of course our last six years have been a little different than the Rag$ last six years ;)

That said this is one of the most pathetic cop-outs I have ever heard and I did hear the Sather interview in question. He blamed anything and everything from the injuries to the fans. Pathetic. The highest payroll in the sport can't make the playoffs six years running and they're reduced to weak excuses. I love it :D
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#12 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:34 PM

It's a disgrace. The only guy who told it like it was was Holik. He admitted the team was only in the race because of the Islanders' and Bruins' inability to play good hockey.

Personally, I don't want the Rangers making many changes. They don't need to. Overturning their roster is the biggest reason for their playoff misses. There's never any chemistry because of it.

I would like to see them just sign a left wing who can play with Lindros and make a couple of changes to the D.

That's all that needs to be done.

Screw Fedorov. They have three good centers as it is and Fedorov will ask for the moon. Let him get it from Detroit. They don't need him.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#13 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:18 PM

Fedorov would instantly become the best center on the Rangers.
And he would lead the Rangers into the playoffs despite their inept ways.
Fedorov is that damn good!

#14 Devs25

Devs25

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:00 AM

Maybe Lou will sign Fedorov......cha... right...and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

The Rangers will never learn. They will get Feds and Hatcher and the vicious cycle of missing the playoffs continues. muhahahahaha
"The older you get, the more appreciative you become," Elias said. "You sometimes hear stories where players might be happier playing somewhere, but maybe they are miserable.
"Our goal as hockey players is to win the Stanley Cup. I'm 28 and I've played in 100 playoff games. I love it here. I would love to be a Devil forever." ---Patrik Elias

I heart Randy #21 :)~ and Jason #25 Even though everyone hates him

#15 goobergirl

goobergirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:40 AM

The Rangers will never learn. They will get Feds and Hatcher and the vicious cycle of missing the playoffs continues. muhahahahaha

I hope hatcher doesn't go there... that's just plain mean!

#16 #1DevsFan

#1DevsFan

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 09:36 AM

Jeez Sather, why don't you just blame God for this crappy weather delaying your clubs' Golf plans for another week.......moron.

#17 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 01:51 PM

I pray Sather gets an extension at MSG!

13 years in row of losing records, I want him to hit 20 with the Ranger$
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#18 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, honestly, if I were a Ranger fan I'd be calling for Sather's head... but since I'm a Devils fan, he's my god!

#19 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 04:25 PM

Slat$: Posted Image

That sums it up.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

0 user(s) are reading this topic