#1 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

http://www.nhl.com/n...rticleid=381556

3. Paul Martin, New Jersey -- As one veteran defenseman leaves New Jersey, another seems to emerge. First Brian Rafalski stepped into Scott Niedermayer's shoes; when Rafalski left last summer, it was Martin's turn, and he was well-suited for the extra ice time.

While Martin's 23:53 was down from the 25:13 he averaged in 2006-07, he picked up more than two minutes in shorthanded ice time, going from 1:13 to 3:18.

The Devils' defense core returns intact from the end of last season, so with a season's experience under coach Brent Sutter, expect Martin's ice time to, at minimum, stay the same, and likely rise.

A good article...not sure why Colin White wouldn't make it over some Rangers but good to see Paulie getting some league recognition.

Edited by DevilNurn, 12 September 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#2 DougieBrown

DougieBrown

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

A good article...not sure why Colin White wouldn't make it over some Rangers but good to see Paulie getting some league recognition.

Did you watch White last year? He stunk.

#3 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

I stopped reading after Rosival was #2..

I guess they think offensive numbers for defenseman mean everything. How sad.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 September 2008 - 12:32 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#4 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well my reading was that it was reliability...anybody who overcomes an injury like that and has been here for the cup years says something about their reliability...Maybe I was wrong in my reading though :noclue:.

#5 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Cool. I could careless about where they put ranger players because they are always ranked higher than us.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#6 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

I thought Martin was our most reliable player not named Brodeur last season. Good to see him getting some recognition.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#7 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Cool. I could careless about where they put ranger players because they are always ranked higher than us.

It's curious how every Devils fan complains about how bad our defense is, but when there's a list of the most reliable D-men, (s)he expects NJ players to be there and is angry when some Ranger guys get ranked higher.

I agree with Martin being on the list, I'm probably not that much of an expert to tell which place he should be on, but I'd say it's pretty much okay.

#8 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

It's curious how every Devils fan complains about how bad our defense is, but when there's a list of the most reliable D-men, (s)he expects NJ players to be there and is angry when some Ranger guys get ranked higher.

I agree with Martin being on the list, I'm probably not that much of an expert to tell which place he should be on, but I'd say it's pretty much okay.

Well NJ's defense isn't horrible defensively, it's just awful offensively. So you can bitch about the Devils defense and praise it in both ways depending on how you're looking at it.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#9 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

Anyone know Martin's contract status? Just curious.

#10 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Anyone know Martin's contract status? Just curious.

From CBS Sportsline:

Martin will earn $3 million this season[last year], $4 million in 2008[this year] and $4.5 million[next year] in 2009.

and I think at the time people weren't sure that Martin wasn't being overpayed :lol: Now it's obvious he is being underpaid in comparison to UFAs.

Edited by Devils731, 12 September 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#11 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Well they certainly picked the most reliable defenseman from each team, if not necessarily the right order.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#12 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Did you know that Colin White was not a rookie last year? I.E: Did you know that he has had fabulous seasons before that? Also did you watch ANY Devils games? Because I'm sure at least once a game (after Chico or Doc went "OOF!!" after a whitey hit) they mentioned that he missed a good part of the beginning of last season.

Nah, didn't think so.

/endrant.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#13 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Did you know that Colin White was not a rookie last year? I.E: Did you know that he has had fabulous seasons before that? Also did you watch ANY Devils games? Because I'm sure at least once a game (after Chico or Doc went "OOF!!" after a whitey hit) they mentioned that he missed a good part of the beginning of last season.

Nah, didn't think so.

/endrant.

And White was also good last year until he hurt his arm. Once he hurt his arm he couldn't be physical with people anymore. The arm was way more critical to his ability to play than his eye was.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#14 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

From CBS Sportsline:

and I think at the time people weren't sure that Martin wasn't being overpayed :lol: Now it's obvious he is being underpaid in comparison to UFAs.

Agreed. I remember there being a lot of harping at Lou for signing Martin to his current contract. In comparing it to recent signing, the Devils are getting a decent bargain.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#15 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

I think if White is paired up with a more experienced Defenseman (not Mottau) he will play better. I think Martin/White or Oduya/White could be a pretty effective pairing.
Posted Image

#16 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

I stopped reading after Rosival was #2..

I guess they think offensive numbers for defenseman mean everything. How sad.

Hit the nail on the head there lol, there should be an award for best defensive defenseman in the NHL, if there was, I would call it the "Stevens Trophy"

Players like Bourque-Lidstrom etc would never have won one and our Scotty would have probably won 10 or 12, it's not so much about scoring goals, it's PREVENTING them, and that is why Scott Stevens is the greatest defenseman to ever play the game, his team won 879 times, and THAT is proof of why he is #1 in NHL history.

#17 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I love paul martin

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#18 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Martin at a 3.8 cap hit might be one of the best bargins in the league.

#19 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Timonen at 4
fvcking wow

Hit the nail on the head there lol, there should be an award for best defensive defenseman in the NHL, if there was, I would call it the "Stevens Trophy"

Players like Bourque-Lidstrom etc would never have won one and our Scotty would have probably won 10 or 12, it's not so much about scoring goals, it's PREVENTING them, and that is why Scott Stevens is the greatest defenseman to ever play the game, his team won 879 times, and THAT is proof of why he is #1 in NHL history.

Seriously?

Edited by bruins4777, 12 September 2008 - 09:44 PM.

Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#20 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

In the chatroom about 6 games into last season and I'm questioning Sarge on why we overpaid for Martin. He stated basically to just watch this kid explode.

About 20 games later, as I watched Martin go end to end, I thanked Sarge for educating me on the kid.

He is worth sick $$$ right now. Amazing job on Lou's end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users