2053 replies to this topic

#141 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that Rolstons white jersey had a very nice puck/stick mark on the side of it, which is pretty good for the amount of games he played. I was thinking about getting his pre season or GI jersey, but I'll hold off.

I'd hold off completely as MeiGray's prices in general have all been lowered. This concerns me, but yet it doesn't in the same instance. I will collect gamers as long as they are out there no matter what happens as it is my primary hobby. However, I spoke to unknown poster today on the phone and we discussed many topics (also tried JWomp but he was unavailable as was KC Devil... please don't tell me you guys have lives and I don't). My biggest concerns that I have on tap are:

1)If I try to sell a sweater I own with MeiGray docs (let's say a Langenbrunner) does MeiGray's decision to lower their prices affect my sale? Most people use MeiGray as a price point and somehow gauge the resale value of vintage sweaters and some others. So, the Langenbrunner I sold for $300 (kicking myself) would be valued less than that if I still had it and wanted to sell it? Tell me I am wrong.

2)MeiGray's pricing is lowered and does this mean bumpy road ahead? Will we see teams pull out of MeiGray to market themselves? Will MeiGray ride out this economic issue? What kind of sale at the summer expo? I personally believe (that just like the home market... NOW is the time to buy). I took an extra job to save some coin for the expo/draft day and am VERY excited. I hope I can get something good.

3)On a side note, I've been meaning to get an answer from you guys on this next one... It is completely unrelated, but I have mixed feelings. So here goes...

Say I buy a gamer with an autograph and in the MeiGray LOA it states "with autograph" and then I decide I don't want the autograph. So I use a cleaner and positively remove the autograph with no stain or proof that it was there. Have I voided my LOA? Has the price been effected? Please let me know your thoughts?
Game Worn Devils Collector! Please contact me concerning all things: Tom Chorske, Patrik Elias, David Hale, Bobby Holik, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Kirk Muller, & Brian Rolston.

#142 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

l

Edited by SJP20, 08 May 2009 - 10:34 AM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#143 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

Ok guys, here's one a little out of left field.

Apparently we got 2000 NJ Devils Away Deron Quint Jersey
Game Worn Quint

I had almost forgotten about this guy.

Priced at BIN $375.00. Meigray LOA.

OK wear, cup year, but he doesn't get into what set it was.

Also the Brooks Jersey is back up for $199.00...tough economy.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#144 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Ok guys, here's one a little out of left field.

Apparently we got 2000 NJ Devils Away Deron Quint Jersey
Game Worn Quint

I had almost forgotten about this guy.

Priced at BIN $375.00. Meigray LOA.

OK wear, cup year, but he doesn't get into what set it was.

Also the Brooks Jersey is back up for $199.00...tough economy.

If I recall correctly that is a set 2. I don't think Quint's time was that lengthy with the Devils... NO MORE than 10 games or so if I recall. He was either a healthy scratch or hurt.

It is a very tough economically and I don't see a Stimulus (as much as I could us the money or not) being the answer. If I get a stimulus cheque... it goes right into the "pay the bills" fund. It won't be, "hey, I could use a plasma, hot tub (would be nice), or a gamer"

Any thoughts to my questions above???

Edited by Chorske17, 07 February 2009 - 09:13 AM.

Game Worn Devils Collector! Please contact me concerning all things: Tom Chorske, Patrik Elias, David Hale, Bobby Holik, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Kirk Muller, & Brian Rolston.

#145 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

I would still be ok with the LOA if I were in a position to buy "that" gamer. As long as there is no trace or stain of the remover like you said. I think it is a unique situation because there are two things in this situation that require authenticated. To me the jersey is the more important component, so as long as that is authentic its fine with me. Some people are big on LOA's, but since I only buy meigray authenticate items, it woudnt bother me to much.

My Brodeur Game Worn / Used Collection http://www.flickr.co...56946@N06/sets/

#146 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

h

Edited by SJP20, 30 June 2009 - 02:11 PM.

#147 slimegoat

slimegoat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

Fun reading all the people with more $ then brains and common sense opening up the grab bags and getting a jersey they wouldn't want or pay $395 for if the player himself showed up with it at their door.

All for a 1 game wonder Ovenchicken that isn't worth the $7500 tag if he gave you half out of his own pocket.

I am still stunned why people participate in it, especially in this economy. Maybe in general to begin with. Do people really enjoy pissing away hard earned $ on something designed to expose how little they understand it's a gimmick without them knowing it? MeiGray wins 49-1.

Maybe if these people have this much $ to piss away on stupidity, perhaps i won't complain about Obama taxing them.

I've had this discussion with several people, about the hobby in general, moreso than the grab bag aspect itself. It would seem that the average jersey collector, with say at least a few dozen shirts as opposed to the casual collector with a few shirts of their favorite players, hasn't really been hit that hard by the current economic woes. This is not a cheap hobby to begin with, so I doubt that the average collector is getting laid off from his job at Starbucks. These are people with a lot of disposable income, most likely from a better than average, secure job.

I would think that most of the people participating in the grab bag are at least somewhat of an Ovechkin fan, or see the chance to win it and flip it quickly on ebay for profit. These aren't people scraping their nickels together to send to Barry.

Now, if he makes a Brodeur the top gamer in the next grab bag, I might have to buy one or two chances....
Current Devils in the Locker Room: CLOUTHIER Red Preseason #52, DANEYKO White 94-95 #3, JEFFERSON White Game Issued "Kool Aid Jersey", LAKOVIC White 98-99 #32, LEBLOND Red 08-09 #25, PELUSO Red 94-95 #8, RUPP Red 06-07 #17, SKRLAC Red Preseason #48

#148 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

hj

Edited by SJP20, 08 May 2009 - 10:35 AM.

#149 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

I've had this discussion with several people, about the hobby in general, moreso than the grab bag aspect itself. It would seem that the average jersey collector, with say at least a few dozen shirts as opposed to the casual collector with a few shirts of their favorite players, hasn't really been hit that hard by the current economic woes. This is not a cheap hobby to begin with, so I doubt that the average collector is getting laid off from his job at Starbucks. These are people with a lot of disposable income, most likely from a better than average, secure job.

I would think that most of the people participating in the grab bag are at least somewhat of an Ovechkin fan, or see the chance to win it and flip it quickly on ebay for profit. These aren't people scraping their nickels together to send to Barry.

Now, if he makes a Brodeur the top gamer in the next grab bag, I might have to buy one or two chances....

I would probably be in if they were to throw in a Brodeur gamer as well...Even though I would probably be stuck with a Pierre Dagenais jersey or some crap like that.

#150 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

I would probably be in if they were to throw in a Brodeur gamer as well...Even though I would probably be stuck with a Pierre Dagenais jersey or some crap like that.

Lucky for you I know who owns a lot of the Dagenais stuff... You'd end up with one of the gomez sweaters that haven't moved in months from MeiGray.

unknown poster, who is the "cockblocker"... I laughed so hard I started to choke on some clam chowder and had to use the back of my chair as CPR. I caught my breath and laughed some more. Thanks.

I spoke to the collector who won the Elias set III Red and he said as much as anyone else here has thought... Barry's way of dumping inventory that won't move. He took pictures of the wear and I can only see a mark that looks like a pin head. No way of matching it. He was willing to sell it for $600.00 which is good and bad. Good price, but I still won't buy it. Might as well buy an authentic with name/number.

#151 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

Lucky for you I know who owns a lot of the Dagenais stuff... You'd end up with one of the gomez sweaters that haven't moved in months from MeiGray.

unknown poster, who is the "cockblocker"... I laughed so hard I started to choke on some clam chowder and had to use the back of my chair as CPR. I caught my breath and laughed some more. Thanks.

I spoke to the collector who won the Elias set III Red and he said as much as anyone else here has thought... Barry's way of dumping inventory that won't move. He took pictures of the wear and I can only see a mark that looks like a pin head. No way of matching it. He was willing to sell it for $600.00 which is good and bad. Good price, but I still won't buy it. Might as well buy an authentic with name/number.

$600.00 is a great price, if I didnt have an Elias gamer I would probably scoop that one up. Looks like the 2nd grab bag had the same jerseys as the first one (minus an "A" on the Elias).

#152 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

$600.00 is a great price, if I didnt have an Elias gamer I would probably scoop that one up. Looks like the 2nd grab bag had the same jerseys as the first one (minus an "A" on the Elias).

If I buy it, would you trade me your Elias with the "C"? :pray:

#153 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

If I buy it, would you trade me your Elias with the "C"? :pray:

Sorry... But I will give you this dancing banana! :dance:

#154 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

Sorry... But I will give you this dancing banana! :dance:

=(

#155 slimegoat

slimegoat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

Plus, I'm pretty sure I counted 4 Marek Malik shirts between the two grab bags. Look for them to be sellling for $125 each on ebay soon.

All in all, I'd say there were more than a few shirts that I would have been satisfied with if I had participated.

Bring on the Brodeurs!
Current Devils in the Locker Room: CLOUTHIER Red Preseason #52, DANEYKO White 94-95 #3, JEFFERSON White Game Issued "Kool Aid Jersey", LAKOVIC White 98-99 #32, LEBLOND Red 08-09 #25, PELUSO Red 94-95 #8, RUPP Red 06-07 #17, SKRLAC Red Preseason #48

#156 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Plus, I'm pretty sure I counted 4 Marek Malik shirts between the two grab bags. Look for them to be sellling for $125 each on ebay soon.

All in all, I'd say there were more than a few shirts that I would have been satisfied with if I had participated.

Bring on the Brodeurs!

I hope they dont use the Brodeur Dano night jersey, that was only worn on the bench.

#157 slimegoat

slimegoat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

I hope they dont use the Brodeur Dano night jersey, that was only worn on the bench.

That's a consignment, and those jerseys don't make it into the grab bag.

#158 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Bring on the Brodeurs!

While the player selection seemed good for you, the wear was non-existent. Email me privately for the wear on the Elias... I found ONE mark... ONE and I don't think it will show up on Getty or anything else. MeiGray dumped $42000 worth of product in a great deal that got those who seek the thrill of gambling into buying what otherwise wouldn't move.

I think people are beginning to wait for deals unless it is that one that they "HAVE TO HAVE".

#159 3CUPSN9

3CUPSN9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

That's a consignment, and those jerseys don't make it into the grab bag.

That's right! I forgot about that little asterisk. There is no way that jersey was won for $7500 in the auction though, major mark up.

#160 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

Wow-ee-wee-wow....

It appears we got a 1993-94 Bobby Holik NJ Devils Jersey on the Bay....

A CCM Maska Ultrafil Set I

Holik Gameworn

A BIN of $500.00

I'm definitely in on this if it doesn't go too high...

Edited by DevilinLA, 09 February 2009 - 06:00 AM.

Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users