168 replies to this topic

#61 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

Dont listen to Triumph, i noticed my stress level is down after not reading the rubbish he posts ;)

.02 change in save percentage would mean over 2257 shots 45.14 more goals. 198 goals for and 238 goals allowed. That is far worse then .500.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#62 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

Weekes played very well last night the rest of the team stunk. So if the Devils can find a PP and get some offense then they will be fine waiting for Brodeur to come back. But Weekes needs a backup.

#63 nick17112

nick17112

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

This is a setback naturally, and hope the Operation all goes well Marty. I think its too early to panic yet, Weekes has shown he can goaltend, the first period against Sabres he was awseom and there is no reason he cannot build on this and if we keep scoring WE WILL WIN GAMES.

We cannot foreacst the future, but lets hope we get to the Playoffs and Marty may return for a run at the cup all fresh, or if he is not back, why not have Weekes carry us through.

Heres hoping :koolaid:
Zach Parise - Gone but not forgotten!!!!!

#64 Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

This is a setback naturally, and hope the Operation all goes well Marty. I think its too early to panic yet, Weekes has shown he can goaltend, the first period against Sabres he was awseom and there is no reason he cannot build on this and if we keep scoring WE WILL WIN GAMES.

We cannot foreacst the future, but lets hope we get to the Playoffs and Marty may return for a run at the cup all fresh, or if he is not back, why not have Weekes carry us through.

Heres hoping :koolaid:

As I stated on TG's site.

LETS GO DEVILS

Enormous loss is right. But you should never turn your back on your team. No matter how poorly its run by management, or how lackluster the lineup may look. Never.

LETS. GO. DEVILS.

Lets break some predictions this year.
"Marion Gaborik scored his 65th, 66th, 67th, and 68th goals of the season tonight.

However, The Rangers were beaten by the Maple Leafs 6-4. Rather than bore you with those highlights, let's enjoy yet another encore presentation of our great MSG documentary, "1994: The Year We Can't Stop Thinking About" " - Warren

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

.02 change in save percentage would mean over 2257 shots 45.14 more goals. 198 goals for and 238 goals allowed. That is far worse then .500.

that's assuming that the offense is the same as last year, which is folly.

also i think i meant .500 as in 1 point per game, not NHL .500, which are two different things.

also despite the start to this season shots-wise i think with salvador in the fold and vishnevski/rachunek out i think the shots should go down somewhat - although that will probably be mitigated by weekes' inability to play the puck as well as brodeur.

Edited by Triumph, 04 November 2008 - 01:43 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#66 Banzai Riley

Banzai Riley

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

Wow this sucks.

What we need to remember is that we have a good team, better than last year. This group is playoff-caliber, the quality of players is simply too good. Yes, we may be lacking a true #1 d-man but we have three capable #2s with another up-and-coming one. Our offense is solid if streaky, they just need to step up. Once we get our better players back we will be even stronger. And once the adjustment is made to Weekes don't-play-the-puck mindset, I think they will do ok. Yes, they will lose most of the games they play against the best teams in the league but they can and should beat the mid to low level teams. And make no mistake, Buffalo is good... Tampa? Not so much.

But if Lou were to do anything, he should go after a defenseman to shore up the back, not a goaltender.

"Our team isn't for every player and every player isn't for our team."

#67 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

Um yeah....... maybe our season is over indeed.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#68 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

Just a thought.

Kevin Weekes can be a starter in this league. We know he has the tools as evidenced by how he stonewalled us when he was with Carolina. So.. here's how I see it.

Weeksie is a true professional. He's been getting a free ride on this team for 2 years now, basically getting paid to practice and to mop up. Regardless of the money, his ego had to be taking a hit. He's now in the position where he can step in for the "Franchise", the "Messiah" and face of this team. He's in a position where his teammates can now look at him as more than the practice goalie and an insurance policy for the team. He can make a name for himself for his next contract as the man who stepped in for Marty and kept the Devils playoff streak alive. He has a chance to regain that ego.

Me? I think Kevin Weekes becomes the man we need. I think deep down inside he has a lot to prove to his teammates and the fans, not just in NJ but NY as well (how sweet would beating the Rangers be to him?). I fully expect him to lead us to the playoffs. Call me crazy, but that's how I see it.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#69 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Um yeah....... maybe our season is over indeed.

very ominous coming Minaya's mouth (avatar)
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#70 nick17112

nick17112

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Just a thought.

Kevin Weekes can be a starter in this league. We know he has the tools as evidenced by how he stonewalled us when he was with Carolina. So.. here's how I see it.

Weeksie is a true professional. He's been getting a free ride on this team for 2 years now, basically getting paid to practice and to mop up. Regardless of the money, his ego had to be taking a hit. He's now in the position where he can step in for the "Franchise", the "Messiah" and face of this team. He's in a position where his teammates can now look at him as more than the practice goalie and an insurance policy for the team. He can make a name for himself for his next contract as the man who stepped in for Marty and kept the Devils playoff streak alive. He has a chance to regain that ego.

Me? I think Kevin Weekes becomes the man we need. I think deep down inside he has a lot to prove to his teammates and the fans, not just in NJ but NY as well (how sweet would beating the Rangers be to him?). I fully expect him to lead us to the playoffs. Call me crazy, but that's how I see it.

Here Here WE LOVE YOU NJD
Zach Parise - Gone but not forgotten!!!!!

#71 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

very ominous coming Minaya's mouth (avatar)

What is that supposed to mean? Please dont even argue that without Brodeur last year this team probably would not have made the playoffs. I see 2007 Devils right now minus Brodeur, so i dont see anything changed.

Edited by nmigliore, 04 November 2008 - 01:58 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#72 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

We all have been spoiled with Marty's durability. It's been remarkable, with all the games he has played, that he does not get injured more often. We all knew someday the Devils would not have Marty anymore. Luckily, he will come back healthy and be ready to go (hopefully this season).

At least this gives all of us what to expect when Marty will eventually retire. :evilcry:

If it wasn't for the lockout, he would of broken all the records he is chasing last season.

GO WEEKES!!!

Edited by hattrick, 04 November 2008 - 02:01 PM.

Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#73 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

well, at least he will be rested for the playoffs.

the key is getting there. man am i glad the devils played brodeur every game early on.

gotta agree with you the injury in the end maybe a blessing in disguise.

#74 Ivan

Ivan

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

So here's the translated injury break down.

Brodeur - "bruised elbow" = Torn Bicep, out for 3-4 months

Holik - "broken pinkie" = Missing pinkie, out till they find it

Rolstin - "ankle sprain" = Shattered foot, out so they can build new robotic foot

Greene - "broken hand" = Leprosy, out for 4-6 months

Pierre Leblonde - "fractured orbital bone" = squashed eyeball, out until new glass eye is fitted

Martin - "upper body injury" = Spinal fracture, out indefinitely

:rofl: Thanks for lightening this up a little bit

#75 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

gotta agree with you the injury in the end maybe a blessing in disguise.

If we are in the playoff picture when Marty comes back, it IS a blessing b/c we will have a rested Marty and be in the playoff picture..
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#76 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

Alright...some postivies:

We all wanted Brodeur to get some rest. Assuming we are still in it, Brodeur could and probably will be the freshest goalie out there. Could be huge come playoff time.

I guess I meant to say postitive.

I don't know about all of you but I'm pretty excited how this team responds. This is a preview of the team when Brodeur is gone. Maybe we'll find out it isn't the end of the world.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 November 2008 - 02:31 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#77 ClutchDevil30

ClutchDevil30

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

But if Lou were to do anything, he should go after a defenseman to shore up the back, not a goaltender.

Exactly - as horrible as this is, it forces us to look at the post-Brodeur era and means Lou must find a way to keep us competitive. This could be inroads to getting J-Bow here to Jersey. Something will be done and i think, as you do, we need to "shore up the back" and protect Weekes.

Oh and on a sidenote i'm glad we finally all figured out how to spell Weeks, I mean Weekes. :argh:
Posted ImageLET'SGODEVILS!
Posted Image Drinking the Kool-Aid since 1995
Posted Image of Doc's "HIT THE POST WITH THE SHOT!", the CAA Goal Horn, and Matt Loughlin's nephew, Tom.

#78 CaptainLangs

CaptainLangs

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

We did it without Nieds. We did it without Stevens. We did it without Blomez. We can do it without Marty. IN KEVIN WE TRUST.

LET'S GO DEVILS.
Got a little captain in you?

#79 VITO

VITO

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

I have full trust in Weekes! I think, he was great last night, but I don't think the Devils as a team will make the PO. Although it's very early, but they will have to fight really hard to getnear the fire. I would be more optimistic if the special teams performed better.

Get Well Marty! Go Devils, Go Weekes!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#80 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,824 posts

I think Weekes will get a chance to show what he can do before Lou does anything. Regardless, the Devils will definitely make a move for a goalie. I don't think they want Caruso-Frazee in Lowell.

The will either 1) find a back-up for Weekes (Roloson-type) and move Clemmer back down, or 2) keep Clemmer up and find a more experienced AHLer.

C'mon guys, it's gonna get interesting out there!
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users