1504 replies to this topic

#1021 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

You can't keep Cervelli up. I realize that it would mean Posada could DH more and that the Yankees play normal baseball but it is still a waste of a roster spot. I don't send Pena down. I like him better than Ransom and he can adds Latino Brett Gardner to his resume with his speed. That is something that Ransom cannot offer. Pena isn't really a prospect. He is Alberto Gonzalez without the infamous name.

So what I would do is this:

- Designate Cervelli
- Designate/DFA Ransom
- Call up SHELLEY!

There. Done.

To back this, Girardi has said in interviews that he will not be keeping three catchers on the roster, so Cervelli is a goner. The only way that Cervelli's ML Roster spot is safe is if Matsui blows out his knees, allowing Girardi the flexibility of DH'ing Posada and platooning Molina and Cervelli.

As far as Ransom vs. Pena, I agree that this team could use speed, but I still don't see Ransom getting the DFA. I think Cody will rejoin the main squad.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#1022 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yankees acquire OF Eric Hinske for 2 minor leaguers (Casey Erickson and Eric Fryer)

Looks like a solid pickup by the Yankees for their bench.. Hinske is hitting .255/.373/.368 with only 1 HR this year for Pittsburgh in 54 games. However last year he hit .247/.333/.465 with 20 HR, 60 RBI in 133 games for Tampa Bay.. the 2 minor leaguers given up are somewhat old for A-ball and its not like they were dominating.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1023 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

I like this deal. Hinske is versatile and a better hitter than Ransom. A nice cheap addition.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#1024 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,264 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Solid move by Cashman, improving the bench in all 4 corner spots, leaving Ransom to be the back up the middle infield spots. Hinske's pretty much an above average fielder for his career except at 3B and he can hit right handed pitching decent.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1025 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

I have always been a "Joba is a starter" guy in the Great Joba Debate, but I am starting to change my mind. He was not great again tonight and Bruney sucked. Joba for an inning when he can reach back and dominate may be more valuable than Joba for 5+ where he is in and out of trouble. I understand the Mariners with their speed are a bad matchup for Joba but still. The need for 8th inning Joba was clear last night.

Oh and how sad is Seattle. The Mariners are barely .500 and the Seattle press is painting them as legit contenders.

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#1026 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

I have always been a "Joba is a starter" guy in the Great Joba Debate, but I am starting to change my mind. He was not great again tonight and Bruney sucked. Joba for an inning when he can reach back and dominate may be more valuable than Joba for 5+ where he is in and out of trouble. I understand the Mariners with their speed are a bad matchup for Joba but still. The need for 8th inning Joba was clear last night.

Oh and how sad is Seattle. The Mariners are barely .500 and the Seattle press is painting them as legit contenders.

how about phil hughes who is already in the bullpen and is already doing well? once chamberlain gets a hold of that walks problem he will be one of the best starting pitchers in baseball.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1027 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

how about phil hughes who is already in the bullpen and is already doing well? once chamberlain gets a hold of that walks problem he will be one of the best starting pitchers in baseball.

One who does not throw particularly hard and rarely gets out of the sixth inning? Hughes has been great but not as dominant as Joba when he was in the bullpen. In a choice between the two I would rather have Hughes in the rotation and Joba breaking radar guns in the 8th.

Palin 2012

#1028 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

One who does not throw particularly hard and rarely gets out of the sixth inning? Hughes has been great but not as dominant as Joba when he was in the bullpen. In a choice between the two I would rather have Hughes in the rotation and Joba breaking radar guns in the 8th.

chamberlain is 8th in the league in k/9 for starters, so he's throwing plenty hard. once he learns to control the walks, and get his innings limit up, he'll get out of the sixth inning.

hughes has been terrible in the rotation so far. why would you ever switch them for a minor gain?

Edited by Triumph, 01 July 2009 - 09:38 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1029 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

chamberlain is 8th in the league in k/9 for starters, so he's throwing plenty hard. once he learns to control the walks, and get his innings limit up, he'll get out of the sixth inning.

hughes has been terrible in the rotation so far. why would you ever switch them for a minor gain?

Hughes has made 7 starts. He got absolutely destroyed in one start vs the Orioles and that skews his starting numbers badly. Hughes' k/9 as a starter was very good and Hughes doesn't walk anyone.

Joba is throwing "plenty hard" compared to say Jamie Moyer but not to 2007 Joba. He sits in the low to mid 90s. He does not hit 96-97 consistently like he used to.

Palin 2012

#1030 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hughes has made 7 starts. He got absolutely destroyed in one start vs the Orioles and that skews his starting numbers badly. Hughes' k/9 as a starter was very good and Hughes doesn't walk anyone.

Joba is throwing "plenty hard" compared to say Jamie Moyer but not to 2007 Joba. He sits in the low to mid 90s. He does not hit 96-97 consistently like he used to.

But if hes getting strikeouts/general outs whats the difference how hard he throws?

I just dont get the consensus that throwing hard = you are good. There are plenty of guys who dont hit mid to high 90s with their fastball and are very successful starting pitchers.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 July 2009 - 11:09 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1031 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

But if hes getting strikeouts/general outs whats the difference how hard he throws?

I just dont get the consensus that throwing hard = you are good. There are plenty of guys who dont hit mid to high 90s with their fastball and are very successful starting pitchers.

It doesn't. But when you were throwing 96-97 consistently and are now coming in at 92 there are questions that need to be asked.

Palin 2012

#1032 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

It doesn't. But when you were throwing 96-97 consistently and are now coming in at 92 there are questions that need to be asked.

I may be wrong on this, but perhaps thats an effect of him starting every 5th day and tossing 100 pitches opposed to pitching 10 or so pitches every other day out of the bullpen?

I dont know if Joba threw hard as a starter in the minors or college, but thats what you would need to find out to tell if something is wrong... maybe he even toned it down as a starter to avoid blowing out his arm?

But even so... again, if hes getting outs and pitching well, and its just the walks that are a plaguing him, i dont see the problem with him throwing lower than what he would out of the bullpen.

edit: I guess you could have a gripe if he was throwing hard as a starter last year.. then there could be something wrong.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 July 2009 - 07:15 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1033 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

A-Rod is back. That smell is the rest of the AL sh!tting their pants.

Joba and velocity, here is a nice piece on that:

http://riveraveblues...mberlain-13954/

His velocity is way down. There is smoke there.

Palin 2012

#1034 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

A-Rod is back. That smell is the rest of the AL sh!tting their pants.

Joba and velocity, here is a nice piece on that:

http://riveraveblues...mberlain-13954/

His velocity is way down. There is smoke there.

At the end he says, "As I said, I have no answers. I don’t even know if we should worry about it, per se. It’s something to watch as the season drags on, and if, by the end of the year, the velocity hasn’t returned, then we can start to wonder about the long-term implications of Joba Chamberlain’s Amazing Disappearing Fastball."

He basically says it best -- its something to watch as the season drags on, but thats about it. i mean im sure if joba had ANY sort of shoulder issues the yankees would know about it.... unless their medical staff was as bad as the mets' med-staff <_<

this is gonna sound stupid, but, has anyone actually asked joba about this? again maybe its something he implemented to try and get better control or to keep more stamina as a starter.. or maybe hes worried of running into shoulder problems if he tries to dial it up to the mid-90s with every fastball he throws as a starter.... just throwing out ideas

Edited by nmigliore, 01 July 2009 - 08:22 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1035 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

[quote name='nmigliore' post='777985' date='Jul 1 2009, 09:07 PM']At the end he says, "[i]As I said, I have no answers. I don

Palin 2012

#1036 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:14 AM

I like this team a lot, definitely more than past years, but does anyone else feel that it could all fall apart at any instant?

I really like getting Hinske for some reason though and I wonder if Cashman has got anything up his sleeve for the deadline.

#1037 ZZPop91519

ZZPop91519

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

I like this team a lot, definitely more than past years, but does anyone else feel that it could all fall apart at any instant?

yea. i feel like losing any of the core guys in our lineup could cause the whole offense to shut down, they all feed off of each others success.
that goes for the pitching staff too.
Posted Image

#1038 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,981 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

yea. i feel like losing any of the core guys in our lineup could cause the whole offense to shut down, they all feed off of each others success.
that goes for the pitching staff too.

I'm not so sure, I think this team is experienced enough and up to the task. And regarding pitching, if one of the starters goes down for any length of time, we have Phil Hughes in the rotation. That certainly isn't a terrible thing.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#1039 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,264 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

I really like getting Hinske for some reason though and I wonder if Cashman has got anything up his sleeve for the deadline.

I truly believe this team is capable of going all the way and there is no doubt in my mind that they will make the playoffs. However, I do get this vibe that they could easily go cold at the worst moment and throw there season away in the ALCS or WS just as much as I envision them winning it all. I don't know that's just my gut feeling.

I trust Cashman so I'm not worried about what may/may not happen at the deadline.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1040 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,981 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

I truly believe this team is capable of going all the way and there is no doubt in my mind that they will make the playoffs. However, I do get this vibe that they could easily go cold at the worst moment and throw there season away in the ALCS or WS just as much as I envision them winning it all. I don't know that's just my gut feeling.

I trust Cashman so I'm not worried about what may/may not happen at the deadline.

Honestly, what do you want to see this team do at the deadline? Where are the gaping holes, are there any? Maybe a lefty for the pen, an extra/different DH? With Nady out, could they address the depth at the outfield, even though that's not even an issue? If everything's gelling by deadline day, would you rather just sit tight than gamble skill with chemistry? Cashman has some decisions to make..

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users