1504 replies to this topic

#1221 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:08 AM

I wouldn't say Carlson was going to cry but he clearly got the worst of it. That was an ugly bruise. About time someone stepped up on this team and said we're not going to take it. Hill has now been hit twice in less than two weeks by the Yankees and Ruiz took a damn ball to the face and was spitting up blood. Encarnacion got hit tonight. And finally someone on this team threw back. And it happened to be the skinniest player in the league.

Edited by devilsrule33, 16 September 2009 - 01:33 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1222 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

Jorge Posada is a tough guy, except when he has to block the plate, of course.

#1223 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

I wouldn't say Carlson was going to cry but he clearly got the worst of it. That was an ugly bruise. About time someone stepped up on this team and said we're not going to take it. Hill has now been hit twice in less than two weeks by the Yankees and Ruiz took a damn ball to the face and was spitting up blood. Encarnacion got hit tonight. And finally someone on this team threw back. And it happened to be the skinniest player in the league.

We probably had different feeds but there was a shot from YES showing Carlson in the dugout, looked like was trying to fight back tears for his tough guy image. I don't have a problem with the Jays throwing behind Posada since they have been hit by Yankee pitchers more. I think we all understand that is part of the game. Though I think its foolish if they think there was any intent by Mitre or Melancon. Hell, I think its obvious from Melancon's short career he is having some control issues and Mitre just flat out sucks. I also think its foolish for Carlson to wait by home plate by the Yankee dugout, not even in the correct spot to back up the throw from RF. That was just asking for the incident to escalate. I suppose the Jays wanted to make something about their miserable season exciting so good for them.

In addition to Posada getting suspended (I'm guessing 6 games) I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan get a few since it looks like he was the guy trying to choke Barajas, who according to his claims he was choked but couldn't see who did it. Also Ramirez was pulling Barajas by the straps so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get something, though losing Duncan and Ramirez doesn't mean anything. In fact I don't even think losing Posada is that big since he probably could use the rest anyway.

Jorge Posada is a tough guy, except when he has to block the plate, of course.

You can take your cracks at the Yankees all you want but clearly he won that fight. He got a nice right hand in on the side of Carlson's fore head.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1224 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Intent really means nothing. For instance, any time you plunk Albert Pujols [on accident or not] you can count on getting one of your stars plunked or thrown behind. Last month David Wright got hit in the head by a Matt Cain 95mph fastball, not intentional, but Johan Santana still stood up for his teammate by throwing behind Pablo Sandoval later in the game. Its just the way baseball is.

Anyway as for this incident - I didn't see anything wrong with Carlson throwing behind Posada; its better the pitcher does that rather than hitting the batter.. but then both guys acted poorly; Carlson looked like he was trying to instigate something by standing way out of position to back up a throw and Posada gave a little nudge to Carlson as he passed by and then, instead of ignoring Carlson's comments, he went after him.

Edited by nmigliore, 16 September 2009 - 01:18 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1225 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

The one time that i don't watch a game this happens. Dam!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1226 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Here's my question, and it may have been addressed but I don't know because I'm doig this from my mobile phone... but if Carlson wasn't looking for a fued, why was he in the wrong position backing up the throw from right field? He was standing directly where Posada was going to walk. Granted, Jorge provoked the brawl, but Carlson isn't exactly a patron saint-- and absolutely had other intentions (even if they never came to fruition).

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#1227 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Here's my question, and it may have been addressed but I don't know because I'm doig this from my mobile phone... but if Carlson wasn't looking for a fued, why was he in the wrong position backing up the throw from right field? He was standing directly where Posada was going to walk. Granted, Jorge provoked the brawl, but Carlson isn't exactly a patron saint-- and absolutely had other intentions (even if they never came to fruition).

I agree with you. Neither player was in the right at all and as a result the brawl happened. I don't mind the brawl though, its professional sports, it happens.

I'll also apologize in advance to DR33 or anyone else I may offend. When things like this happen I get really fvcking heated. Its because I care so damn much about this team, hell I schedule my life around the game times, and the intensity is just building up every day as this team has the chance to do something special. Jorge's been one of the guys for me that I grew up watching so naturally I'm going to get pumped up when something like this happens.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1228 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

An ironic twist of fate that the rookie catcher who is only playing because the starter is suspended gets the game-winning hit in the 9th. It's amazing how these situations come together in the world sports.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 16 September 2009 - 09:49 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1229 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Yay, yankees.

Posted Image

#1230 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

I remember getting fed up watching last year's Yankees team, feeling like I was watching overpaid, underperforming superstars wait for their paychecks rather than fight for wins. I'd turn on Phillies games just for the change of pace. Those guys never gave up on a game and played with such a child-like joy that they were fun to watch.

This year's Yankees team reminds me so much of last year's Phillies team it isn't even funny. Watching Cano and Melky chase Cervelli into the outfield after his walkoff hit, it was impossible not to smile and laugh right along with them.

God, I love this team.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1231 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

I agree with you. Neither player was in the right at all and as a result the brawl happened. I don't mind the brawl though, its professional sports, it happens.

I'll also apologize in advance to DR33 or anyone else I may offend. When things like this happen I get really fvcking heated. Its because I care so damn much about this team, hell I schedule my life around the game times, and the intensity is just building up every day as this team has the chance to do something special. Jorge's been one of the guys for me that I grew up watching so naturally I'm going to get pumped up when something like this happens.

I'm with you. It was fun to actually see some life come from these players on the Jays. This was the first bench clearing brawl I can remember the Jays having since the whole A-Rod "Ha" fireworks with Howie Clark, which led to Josh Towers throwing at him. Carlson says he got the bruise in the giant pile at the bottom. Someone through a cheap shot while he was there. I guess these things things are pretty common.

I'm not trying to make any excuses for Carlson being where he was when the brawl started, I just thought it was funny to see Posada go so crazy when the ball went behind him after how many Jays were hit badly by Yankee pitchers.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1232 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

I'm with you. It was fun to actually see some life come from these players on the Jays. This was the first bench clearing brawl I can remember the Jays having since the whole A-Rod "Ha" fireworks with Howie Clark, which led to Josh Towers throwing at him. Carlson says he got the bruise in the giant pile at the bottom. Someone through a cheap shot while he was there. I guess these things things are pretty common.

I'm not trying to make any excuses for Carlson being where he was when the brawl started, I just thought it was funny to see Posada go so crazy when the ball went behind him after how many Jays were hit badly by Yankee pitchers.

That's true also, but there wasn't really anything there that would have started a brawl, besides the fact that the players were on the top steps. His odd position almost "dared" Posada to shoulder him, and that's why it exploded: Posada's little fit just started the boiling.

Posted Image

#1233 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:49 AM

Anyone else here really worried about the pitching staff in the playoffs? After CC, you have AJ who is really inconsistent, Pettitte who has been having a fine second half but has a shoulder issue going on, and the mess that is Joba right now. Luckily they have the choice of which series they'll want so they can get by with 3 starters in one of them. Hopefully Pettitte can stay healthy and AJ and Joba can right themselves before the playoffs start.

#1234 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Anyone else here really worried about the pitching staff in the playoffs? After CC, you have AJ who is really inconsistent, Pettitte who has been having a fine second half but has a shoulder issue going on, and the mess that is Joba right now. Luckily they have the choice of which series they'll want so they can get by with 3 starters in one of them. Hopefully Pettitte can stay healthy and AJ and Joba can right themselves before the playoffs start.

I am definately starting to get worried with the pitching. They have been off lately and the team has quietly been faltering while the Red Sox are surging. If they don't pick it up, they will lose the division and get stuck with the Angels in the first round, and I think we all know what will happen if that happens...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1235 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

Nice to win the series vs Angels. That should give them some confidence. Burnett pitched well so maybe he'll get hot going into the playoffs. Also a sweep of the upcoming series vs the Sox (possibly 2/3 if BOS loses tonight) would clinch the division. Still worried about the starting pitching in general though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1236 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

Nice to win the series vs Angels. That should give them some confidence. Burnett pitched well so maybe he'll get hot going into the playoffs. Also a sweep of the upcoming series vs the Sox (possibly 2/3 if BOS loses tonight) would clinch the division. Still worried about the starting pitching in general though.

I somehow doubt a sweep when it's Lester vs. Joba in the first game though we have a good shot in the other 2. But you should be worried when Chad Gaudin could end up pitching the 4th game in the ALCS though
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1237 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

But you should be worried when Chad Gaudin could end up pitching the 4th game in the ALCS though

Can't CC just pitch every game?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1238 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:42 AM

Can't CC just pitch every game?

We can dream
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#1239 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Yanks Magic number to clinch AL East: 3
Overall well played game for the Yanks. Everything went their way. A-rod had an amazing game with some help from the rest of the team. But the real story here is Joba's strong performance through 6 innings (I think he was perfect through 4, but I am not sure). If he can get it together for the playoffs, many of the this team's issues would go away.

Edited by nyrsuck26, 25 September 2009 - 10:42 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1240 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

CC and Tex are worth every damn penny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users