62 replies to this topic

#1 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:02 AM

The Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner line seems to be untouchable in Sutter's eyes, and the Elias-Zubrus-Gionta line has been on fire lately. This all begs the question: If you're the coach of the New Jersey Devils, where do you put Rolston when he returns?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#2 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:35 AM

The Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner line seems to be untouchable in Sutter's eyes, and the Elias-Zubrus-Gionta line has been on fire lately. This all begs the question: If you're the coach of the New Jersey Devils, where do you put Rolston when he returns?

ZZ Pops has proven itself since the advent of the season.

With the Gizubrias line (or whatever) - my bet is you wait to see if they can produce and battle as well against some of the more balanced and competitive teams and make a decision to keep or break from there.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#3 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

It is a hard question, but it is most probable to put him on the same line as madden and pandolfo until the top line struggles, no use changing a good thing.

#4 Banzai Riley

Banzai Riley

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:30 AM

With the Gizubrias line (or whatever) - my bet is you wait to see if they can produce and battle as well against some of the more balanced and competitive teams and make a decision to keep or break from there.

El Zubrionta? It sounds like a Mexican discotheque.

On to the topic, Rolston will immediately be thrust back on to the first line. The Devils didn't sign him to waste away as a defensive forward with the offensively inept duo. At that point, Holik will have returned and Zubrus will in all likelihood be exiled to the fourth line to join him. This is disappointing because it's truly wasting Dainius' talents, but he'll still get time on the powerplay.

"Our team isn't for every player and every player isn't for our team."

#5 jsonnabend

jsonnabend

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

El Zubrionta? It sounds like a Mexican discotheque.

On to the topic, Rolston will immediately be thrust back on to the first line. The Devils didn't sign him to waste away as a defensive forward with the offensively inept duo. At that point, Holik will have returned and Zubrus will in all likelihood be exiled to the fourth line to join him. This is disappointing because it's truly wasting Dainius' talents, but he'll still get time on the powerplay.

I say send down Langenbrunner and use Rolston in his place.

Zubrus is the most underrated player on the team, methinks.

- Jeff

#6 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

I think they should try Rolston with Madden and Pandolfo. The other 2 lines are just doing too well imo.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#7 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

I think they should try Rolston with Madden and Pandolfo. The other 2 lines are just doing too well imo.

For a few games just so he gets used to play again.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#8 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

He's gonna go right back on the top line with Elias and Gio. Once everyone gets back from their injuries the lines will probably be the same as opening night.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 NYCdevil

NYCdevil

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

[/quote]

Didn't we sign Zubrus last year to "replace" Gomez on the top line?

#10 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

Didn't we sign Zubrus last year to "replace" Gomez on the top line?

Um... no... that would be insanity based on the skill sets and past performances
they signed him because he was the best "fit" guy on the open the market... THE FANS assumed that he was Gomez 2.0 (oddly enough centering Elias and Gio .... he kinda IS now :P)
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I'd like to try him on the Zajac line too, but with Langenbrunner's improved play of late, I don't see that happening. If I wanted to get really experimental I'd put Rolston back on the top line and put Zubrus with Madden and Clarkson on his wings and have Pando-Holik-Rupp - I don't see it though.

Zubrus has just got to finish more chances though. I know he doesn't have much finish, it explains most of his career, but it's unacceptable.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 DuffMan4027

DuffMan4027

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

I agree remember he has been on and off the ice during rehab. i say put him out with madden and pando let him get his feet underneath him again. the top two lines are performing so he doesnt have to step in and fill a huge hole right away. eventually he will be back on the top line because that is the caliber player he has proven he is.
DuffMan says LETS GO DEVILS!! OOOH YEAA

I Believe

#13 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

elias-zubrus-rolston
parise-zajac-langenbrunner
pandolfo-madden-gionta
vrana-rupp-clarkson (until holik comes back) - of course sutter will likely put brookbank as the last forward instead of vrana because he's tough.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#14 jsonnabend

jsonnabend

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

I'd like to try him on the Zajac line too, but with Langenbrunner's improved play of late, I don't see that happening. If I wanted to get really experimental I'd put Rolston back on the top line and put Zubrus with Madden and Clarkson on his wings and have Pando-Holik-Rupp - I don't see it though.

Zubrus has just got to finish more chances though. I know he doesn't have much finish, it explains most of his career, but it's unacceptable.

I don't think Zubrus needs to finish more. He's a lot of the reason his line mates are performing so well, I think. I'm thinking, for example, of the play a few nights ago where he and Gio worked down low, Zubrus protected the puck up the half boards, dumped it back to Gio (nice pass), who centered it to Elias for the deek- goal. Zubrus' work protecting the puck and making the pass to Gio (no look?) setup that goal.

- Jeff

#15 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

That's exactly why Rolston should take Zubrus' place on the first line we he returns. Rolston is like a less physical Zubrus, but he is a much better scorer.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#16 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Like what was said before, Rolston will probably start out with Madden and Pandolfo. This way he can add offense to the checking line and he is also very good in our zone. When/if as trade is made the Rolston will be moved.
Posted Image

#17 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:38 PM

Langenbrunner played his game of the season last night. If I had to use him soemwhere it would be centering Elias and Gionta. Zubrus can play right side with Madden, surely helping Madden's offensive stats. When Zubrus gets the cycle on down low against the opponents top line, keeps them out of our offensive zone.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#18 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

put him on the fourth line with bergfors and rupp.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

I don't think Zubrus needs to finish more. He's a lot of the reason his line mates are performing so well, I think. I'm thinking, for example, of the play a few nights ago where he and Gio worked down low, Zubrus protected the puck up the half boards, dumped it back to Gio (nice pass), who centered it to Elias for the deek- goal. Zubrus' work protecting the puck and making the pass to Gio (no look?) setup that goal.

- Jeff

I'm Zubrus's biggest defender and biggest torch-carrier for his signing in 2007. I do think Zubrus's down-low work has been outstanding, that's what we signed him for. But he's still gotta have more than 2 goals at this point - it only takes a few goals to turn a 'bust' into solid value.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#20 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Send Gio down and play Rolston at wing, where he should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users