#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

http://www.nypost.co...torm_145279.htm

They not only survived, the Devils prospered, their plague of injuries becoming a plague on their opponents. And they're all the stronger for it. The players are the biggest heroes, but significant credit must go to coach Brent Sutter, this recent prodigy of junior coaching no longer unproven at the NHL level

Then comes his plan to play his top lines against opponents' stars, head-to-head, as the checking-line strategy vanishes. He tried to do it when he first arrived last season but was quickly shown that his team wasn't quite ready for it. Responding to evidence, Sutter re-emphasized the role of John Madden's checking line. Now he's tried it again, this time with stunning results, a major reason they've prospered without Brodeur.

Their 11-2-1 record in 14 has less to do with keeping their goals-against down than it does with scoring at least three goals. In this 14-game run, they have won all 10 games in which they scored three or more, including overtime. The change followed the four-game losing streak that threatened to sink them in their season of injuries. It looks like a conscious decision to go for more goals, an entirely reasonable notion without Brodeur.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

We have to keep scoring though because we are giving up more goals. I hope when Marty comes back we are still scoring like we are right now because that will put us in great shape.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#3 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

i believe he means de-emphasized.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#4 karupin

karupin

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

i believe he means de-emphasized.

He's talking about last year, when Sutter tried to do what he's doing this year, but it didn't work, so he put Maddolfo back on assignment again.

#5 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

Sutter is a novice NHL head coach still learning how to win.

I give him credit he is not as bad as last year.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ya, he is in the jack Adams conversation 2 years in a row...I guess that's not bad
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

I give him credit that he's still here. Lou doesn't like coaches to last more than a year. If that.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#8 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

I give him credit that he's still here. Lou doesn't like coaches to last more than a year. If that.

Nice avatar :giggle:

But seriously, I kinda felt that when Lou hired Sutter he'd be sticking around longer than other coaches, he just seemed like a Lou kinda guy I guess.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#9 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

But seriously, I kinda felt that when Lou hired Sutter he'd be sticking around longer than other coaches, he just seemed like a Lou kinda guy I guess.

Yeah, I can't think of a coach that Lou actively pursued the way he pursued Sutter. He tried to get him to coach the Devils for at least two years before Brent finally caved. Now that Sutter has finally been able to successfully implement his aggressive forechecking style with the line-matching (or lack thereof) that Neverson mentioned with so much success without(!) Brodeur even playing, I think we can all finally see what Lou saw in him.

Sutter's gonna be here for a while. He's a damn fine coach. And anyone who disagrees can take a long stationary bike ride.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#10 D95E00V03ILS

D95E00V03ILS

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

The only coach I could see Lou liking better was Pat Burns another Lou type of Guy. Burns got alot out of that team it was a shame he took ill coaching one of the most elite teams hockey had ever seen.

#11 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

Are you fvcking kidding me with this?

After losing two key players to UFA last year, he squeezed 99 points out of a group that didn't really have any business earning that many (check out their goal differential), and this season he loses the world's best goalie and loses a whole lot of other players to injury, yet has the team five points out of first place in his division, and has five games in hand on that first-place Ranger team. And the best you can come up with is a smug "Sutter is a novice NHL head coach still learning how to win. I give him credit he is not as bad as lasy year"?! Quick, how many people thought the Devils would be 19-9-3 after 31 games after everything that's happened? I sure didn't.

Devils fans are un-fvcking-believable sometimes. Really.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#12 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

I knocked him when he did bad and changed the lines 4 times a game, I guess I have to give it to him for adapting.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

I knocked him when he did bad and changed the lines 4 times a game, I guess I have to give it to him for adapting.

"when he did bad"?

The guy's team has gone 65-38-10 during his time here. Factor in everything that he's had to deal with in that time: two major free-agent defections before he even coached his first game, a nine-game road trip to start his first NHL season, only to come home to a new building that would take some time to truly feel like a home building, injuries, a D-corp last year that for a while was suiting up guys like Sheldon Brookbank, VV and Karl Rachunek...honestly, what more could anyone possibly want out of this guy? I think the guy's earned a little more than just some begrudging respect.

I'm not saying he's been perfect...the brutal records against both the Isles and Rangers last year were tough to take. But I think that more points to the fact that last year's team really wasn't that great...there was bound to be a "law of averages" factor somewhere, and unfortunately it manifested itself against the NY-area teams.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

Typical

Anyone who thinks that Sutter is doing anything less than a very good job will never be happy. They are 19-9-3 with a couple of retreads in goal and some injuries up front.

Edited by devilsadvoc8, 22 December 2008 - 09:21 AM.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#15 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Typical

Anyone who thinks that Sutter is doing anything less than a very good job will never be happy. They are 19-9-3 with a couple of retreads in goal and some injuries up front.

Yeah, I don't get this at all.

How many times have people here said, "Without Marty we're dead, this team has no chance..." Well not only does Sutter have them winning, he's had them flourishing! I think going in, after Marty went down, we were hoping the team could stay just competitive enough to have a shot at the playoffs. They've greatly exceeded that. They still have a lot of games to play without Marty, so it's not like they're safe, but I think Brent's overall record and what he's done with what he's been given has been very good.

#30 FOREVER!

#16 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Sutter could be the coach of the year.

#17 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Are you fvcking kidding me with this?

After losing two key players to UFA last year, he squeezed 99 points out of a group that didn't really have any business earning that many (check out their goal differential), and this season he loses the world's best goalie and loses a whole lot of other players to injury, yet has the team five points out of first place in his division, and has five games in hand on that first-place Ranger team. And the best you can come up with is a smug "Sutter is a novice NHL head coach still learning how to win. I give him credit he is not as bad as lasy year"?! Quick, how many people thought the Devils would be 19-9-3 after 31 games after everything that's happened? I sure didn't.
Devils fans are un-fvcking-believable sometimes. Really.

When Marty went down- coupled with all of the other injuries- I was praying we could get to March without drowning. As of right now, we're walking on water. That doesn't happen with lousy coaching. I couldn't agree more CR- Sutter has done an OUTSTANDING job so far this year.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users