25 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

i would definitely give him at least 3.5M for 4 years.

jason, andy greene lacks the physical skills that oduya has. and he's only a year younger than johnny oduya - oduya's play at this time last year was much, much better than andy greene's. andy greene is a depth defender whose upside is the 2nd pairing and who will belong nowhere near a top pairing.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

i would definitely give him at least 3.5M for 4 years.

jason, andy greene lacks the physical skills that oduya has. and he's only a year younger than johnny oduya - oduya's play at this time last year was much, much better than andy greene's. andy greene is a depth defender whose upside is the 2nd pairing and who will belong nowhere near a top pairing.

I don't think Oduya has top pair potential either. I think he is a #3 defensmen at best. Lou and Sutter have sheltered him quite a bit. While I think he is more physical then Greene, intelligence allows Andy to make his job that much easier. Greene can continue to work on core and leg strength and if he does get even stronger on the puck, he is intelligent enough to play PK, PP and 2nd pair.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

I don't think Oduya has top pair potential either. I think he is a #3 defensmen at best. Lou and Sutter have sheltered him quite a bit. While I think he is more physical then Greene, intelligence allows Andy to make his job that much easier. Greene can continue to work on core and leg strength and if he does get even stronger on the puck, he is intelligent enough to play PK, PP and 2nd pair.

sheltered him? he played with paul martin last year and that line was + a billion. this year he's played with almost everyone and he is once again a huge +. when andy greene develops the speed that oduya has maybe he will be good, until then, forget it. he's a better PP QB but like all the devils defensemen he has a terrible shot.

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

I'd like to see Greene's intelligence translate into making proper passes on the PP, he failed missing two wide open passes and instead turned the puck over by stickhandling, and using his smarts to avoid being out of position in the defensive and neutral zone. Until then I'll probably fail to see his hockey smarts as being great.

Edited by Devils731, 05 January 2009 - 01:32 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

sheltered him? he played with paul martin last year and that line was + a billion. this year he's played with almost everyone and he is once again a huge +. when andy greene develops the speed that oduya has maybe he will be good, until then, forget it. he's a better PP QB but like all the devils defensemen he has a terrible shot.

I don't know about you but If I were Greene I would much rather play with Paul Martin then Jay Leech, even though jay has done a wonderful job. Oduya is learning every day but he still makes bonehead plays in the defensive zone rather then the simple safe play that Greene makes 95% of the time.

On the PP its hard to blame Greene, nobody is playing on the PP with confidence and that will come as they become more comfortable.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

I don't know about you but If I were Greene I would much rather play with Paul Martin then Jay Leech, even though jay has done a wonderful job. Oduya is learning every day but he still makes bonehead plays in the defensive zone rather then the simple safe play that Greene makes 95% of the time.

On the PP its hard to blame Greene, nobody is playing on the PP with confidence and that will come as they become more comfortable.

Greene makes the safe play, but he gives all that back by being weak along the boards and in front of the net. He's been better than last year, no doubt, but he won't ever be good in that area - he will just be not terrible.

Oduya, meanwhile, will make his share of bad passes, but makes up for it by coming up with tremendous breakouts from time to time. He also only has 12 PIMs so far, pretty remarkable stuff for a guy who gets the kind of ice time he does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users