25 replies to this topic

#1 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Lock him in now as the team needs his skating regardless of his mistakes from time to time. Martin was a steal and Oduya could be even bigger.

#2 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

I honestly wonder what the market value for Johnny Orr will be. His numbers aren't anything spectacular, but his skill set is impressive and he has successfully adjusted his game to the NHL (after a few years). Here's hoping Lou can keep him at a reasonable price!
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#3 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

You might want to rename the "4 years 4 million" part of the thread, i thought you were implying that Oduya received an extension. I am not sure of Oduyas market value but I would not really want to give him 4 million although I would not be surprised if another team threw it at him. Hes a great player but I am not too positive of spending that much on him.

#4 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

You might want to rename the "4 years 4 million" part of the thread, i thought you were implying that Oduya received an extension. I am not sure of Oduyas market value but I would not really want to give him 4 million although I would not be surprised if another team threw it at him. Hes a great player but I am not too positive of spending that much on him.

I totally agree.
I thought we already signed him to an extension when I originally saw the thread title.
A lot of the folks around here will get quickly pissed off at the misleading caption.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#5 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

Like I said in a previous post, Lou will look to steal him... $2-$3M range...3 years
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#6 Crisis

Crisis

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

Success.
"People said his brain was infected by Devils."
Posted Image

#7 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

People make misleading thread titles on purpose, so others will enter the thread.

Well it worked.

Change the subtitle, please. I got over-excited.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#8 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I hope Lou is able to keep Oduya. He's been a really good player for us the past 2 seasons.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#9 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Should lock him up before free agency where a savage GM gets to him and overpays him
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#10 CHICOEATS11

CHICOEATS11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'd love to see an extension like that. Even without any real improvement in his play, $4 million would be a complete steal considering what similar defensemen will be getting 4 years from now.

#11 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

I would lock Andy Greene up to a 3 or 4 year contract before him. Like i said early in the year, Greene will be the best of the three UFA defensmen in 2 years if he isn't already. I am aware he was unlucky on that pinch but the fact remains he is extremely solid and intelligent.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#12 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

From 1M to 2.5M.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#13 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

Unless Oduya takes a hometown discount, he'll be raking in $3-4M long-term come the off-season. As such, I would just let him go. Salmela's skillset is akin to Oduya's in some ways, in fact Salmela probably has better offensive abilities. And as Jason said, Andy Greene is shaping up to a be a solid, heady defender.

All in all, Oduya is a replaceable commodity. Put that $4M towards Bouwmeester, or buy low on someone like Jordan Leopold.

Edited by Voros19, 04 January 2009 - 01:21 AM.

Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#14 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:35 AM

I don't think Oduya will be that easily replaceable.

#15 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

Oduya isnt a player easily replaced especially because he movs the puck decently well. I think ultimately if he requested I would let him walk though, however I honestly don't know his worth to other clubs.

#16 BlizzardCyclone

BlizzardCyclone

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

I saw Oduya yesterday in Edgewater NJ at the PF Changs Restaurant lol. No one seemed to know who he was and he was eating lunch with some other guy who looked like Paul Martin, but it wasnt Martin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was at the Fraser signing we talked about the Retro jerseys. He says the team is excited to wear them and Clarkson was running around the locker room with his red helmet on like a madman.

#17 Deek_1969

Deek_1969

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Seriously.....he only became a consistantly good player the second half of last season. Before that everyone was calling for his head due to mistakes in front of the net. That being said, I think we would have to let him walk if he doesn't sign for 2-3 mil for 4.
[size=5][color=#FF0000]The strong take from the weak and the smart take from the strong.

#18 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:53 AM

I would lock Andy Greene up to a 3 or 4 year contract before him. Like i said early in the year, Greene will be the best of the three UFA defensmen in 2 years if he isn't already. I am aware he was unlucky on that pinch but the fact remains he is extremely solid and intelligent.

I don't know what Greene you're watching?
Greene will be lucky if he can stay on this team when White returns unless he gets going real quick. He's starting to look more and more like last year's Andy.
....although I hope this does change.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#19 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:53 AM

I think Oduya is the most overrated player among Devils fans. Giving him 4M/yr would make him the highest paid defenceman on the team...no chance.

#20 mikeford

mikeford

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Wait... people meant 4 mil PER YEAR? for FOUR YEARS?

Good God. Thank christ Lou is the GM and not you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users