19 replies to this topic

#1 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Watching the tv ad's for the movie "The Wrestler", I could have sworn I saw "Convention Hall". Yeah, it is in the movie I guess for only a few seconds but damn it makes me proud that I grew up at the shore.

http://newarkusa.blo...tler-movie.html

Looks like a great movie and glad to see Asbury Park, Bruce and NJ represented.

#2 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

they filmed some bar scenes down the block from here

is this movie going to be released nation-wide or just in spot areas?
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#3 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

they filmed some bar scenes down the block from here

is this movie going to be released nation-wide or just in spot areas?

Nation wide. Real quick, when I checked out to make sure it was Asbury, the link I afforded you and everybody else on this forum was not an advertisement for "Libido-Max" or "Enzyte". Don't know who the guy is in the link, but he validated my question about Asbury.

And you're saying... "Sure Loulam, it's ok.. but libido max?"

LOL! Anywho, glad it's an NJ based movie.

#4 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

It is a great movie. Worth the trip into the city, but go to Sunshine since that place rocks. Also, go see Slumdog Millionaire (which is playing widely in NJ).

I forget what it is like to get good movies. Atlanta rarely gets anything good. We used to have a decent theater which showed things like that but it was bought by a chain and now shows the same studio crap as everywhere else.

I saw too many movies when I was home for break.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#5 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

There's a Trenton Devils jersey in the movie.

#6 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Nation wide. Real quick, when I checked out to make sure it was Asbury, the link I afforded you and everybody else on this forum was not an advertisement for "Libido-Max" or "Enzyte". Don't know who the guy is in the link, but he validated my question about Asbury.

Any idea when this happens?
Not looking forward to a trip into the city for it
and they keep advertising it in the vancouver game :rant:

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#7 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

They filmed some of the wrestling scenes at a Ring of Honor show in Jersey, iirc. They had roh matches, then scene filming and went back and forth. i can't wait to see this movie (and Notorious)

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#8 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Any idea when this happens?
Not looking forward to a trip into the city for it
and they keep advertising it in the vancouver game :rant:

It doesn't look like it's going to be in Jersey any time soon, according to the movie's site. They're rolling it out in a bunch of cities each week, and the only thing close by is NYC. I would have thought Red Bank or Hoboken at least would have gotten it. Oh well.

Supposedly a kid I work with who's also an indie wrestler is in the film at some point in time, so I'll probably wind up checking it out eventually.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#9 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

It doesn't look like it's going to be in Jersey any time soon, according to the movie's site. They're rolling it out in a bunch of cities each week, and the only thing close by is NYC. I would have thought Red Bank or Hoboken at least would have gotten it. Oh well.

Supposedly a kid I work with who's also an indie wrestler is in the film at some point in time, so I'll probably wind up checking it out eventually.

Do you know his ring name perchance? Odds are I haven't heard of him, but you never know.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#10 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Do you know his ring name perchance? Odds are I haven't heard of him, but you never know.

I'm not sure, he's told me once or twice but it was kind of generic - Johnny Lightning or something like that. I do know he wrestled with the Blue Meanie a few months ago as Mini Meanie.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#11 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Damn I was hoping it was my buddy Rob Tapp!

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Randy "the Ram" something
(I just saw it)

VERY good movie

the funny part to me is we saw these kinda crappy wrestling shows in those very same venues and kinda recognized half the places in the movie!! :thumbsup:

#13 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

It's a great movie, Evan Rachel Wood was the only real negative IMO. Marisa Tomei was great, and I'm not talking about her acting.

#14 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

I wanna see this movie soo badly, i was pumped to hear its being showed in winnipeg now...
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#15 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

I wanna see this movie soo badly, i was pumped to hear its being showed in winnipeg now...

it was pretty good.... the match with Necro-Butcher... OH MY GOD :blink:

I wonder if it will have the same charm for you though because like I said... we went to see shows in all the arenas they showed.... we even recognized that lil midget in the electric wheelchair cart he high fives in Rahway :unsure:

It was also kinda fun to see which wrestler he was looking like.... we got a lot of Billy Gunn... and then we began wishing this on him :P

#16 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

so we saw this movie on friday...what a weird ending, everyone was just kinda sitting there at the end like, "uhhh is that it?"

honestly it could have been alot better..i did appreciate the jersey the promoter guy was wearing though..
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#17 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

i gotta go catch this. I saw convention hall in the promos too!

I miss the pony and the saint and convention hall. do they still do shows there?
---
Keeper of the Red and Black, Parise's first NHL goal and the smoking section outside of gate D.
"If you are going to go the TMI route you may as well take every exit!" - sammyk!

#18 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

so we saw this movie on friday...what a weird ending, everyone was just kinda sitting there at the end like, "uhhh is that it?"

honestly it could have been alot better..i did appreciate the jersey the promoter guy was wearing though..

I kinda liked the ending... gave him a feeling of immortality so to speak... and I kinda saw that coming too :P
It's WAY better then the real life endings these guys have!

i gotta go catch this. I saw convention hall in the promos too!

I miss the pony and the saint and convention hall. do they still do shows there?

I can confirm Linden and Garfield for sure in the movie (they even had the lil midget in the electric scooter we see in Linden :lol:)

I have no idea you can check out some of the websites of the local indy feds:

http://www.prowrestlingsyndicate.com (WARNING... fun wrestling mixed with BAD RAPPERS!)

http://www.japw.net/

and of course:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/

(though I have yet to see an ROH show in person)

#19 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Just to chime in on this thread, I saw the Wrestler last night and it was pretty fantastic. I can see why people didn't like the ending, but I thought it was perfect. Anything else would have been hacky as 20 minutes into the film, you pretty much know how it's going to play out. Some thoughts after seeing it:

- The film was a great movie but a brilliant character study. The wrestling is really just an entertaining backdrop to the real point of the movie which was the importance of relationships. Of course some good ol' fashioned a$$ kicking didn't hurt things either :D

- Mickey Rourke deserves his Oscar nomination but shouldn't win...nobody I've seen this year has trumped Sean Penn in Milk. You can tell he dug deep down for the role but Sean Penn became a totally different person.

- A little too much "shaky cam" in the beginning but I got used to it

- I'm a sucker for a good Jersey reference and this movie is filled with them...if anybody knows which name was on the guys jersey, let me know...I kept trying to read it but couldn't.

- The supporting cast was decent. Marisa Tomme was good enough but the girl who played the daughter was borderline bad in the beginning.

- If anyone is familiar with the director, Darren Arronofsky (Pi, Requiem for A Dream, The Fountain), he has a tendency to be either too cool or too arty. I'm thinking the relative failure of The Fountain humbled him into getting over himself and the result was a new found focus on simply telling a good story. No quick cuts, no split screens, no arty fisheye lens in the doctor's office...just some hand held camera work, a great script and a focus on crafting a great film. The result is his best film yet.

Oh, and I don't think they still do shows at the Convention Hall but that place will be missed. Many a Skate and Surf was spent there in my younger days.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#20 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

Saw the Wrestler. It was ok, but I prefer the film classic No Holds Barred to be honest.

My Thoughts

1. I don't need every scene to be a shot of the back of a character's head as they walk around. Boring....
2. The film was very realistic i felt in terms of presenting how unglamorous it is to work the independent circuit as a wrestler. Also the grime and dirt of NJ is captured beautifully.
3. The speech The Ram gives at the end was totally out of place and unprofessional. I thought they did it for dramatic effect and it was a big mistake since it didn't ring true for the charecter to give such a speech.
4. The acting was good, but way overhyped.
5. I liked the ending, I felt it was appropriate given the entire story arc.
6. VERY realistic wrestling scenes, although they clearly shortened matches for the film, the action seems plausible (in that it seems appropriately fake...if that makes sense)
7. Having already seen Beyond the Mat and MTV's True Life: I am a Wrestler I didn't really feel all that compelled by the film since I felt like I knew the character already.

Glad i saw it, brought me back to Jersey and pro wrestling, something I loved when I was younger and still enjoy moderately nowadays. I just wish more stuff happened...
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users