• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 goobergirl

goobergirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:04 PM

I was on a Stars messageboard and found this. They are talking about Broduer and the Vezina. I don't know if it means anything to u though coming from another team's fans.

http://www.andrewsst...umID5/4540.html

#2 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:33 PM

No bias there..............Posted Image I wonder if Turco wasn't in the running if things would be any different. There certainly isn't any guarantee Marty will win and frankly his numbers aren't as good as tehy should be/could be. He will have one someday but we all know a Cup is better than any NHL award.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#3 Blackjack

Blackjack

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:59 PM

Here's my favorite line:

Even so, the only reason he gets mentioned is because his team wins and he's so close to NY.

Posted Image :joker:

#4 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 09:48 PM

Consistency does matter. Theodore and that guy Carrey are a perfect example. I think Marty playing more games than most of course gives him the oppty to win and lose more but will increase his GAA and save pct. Turco has a terrific team playing in front of him as well.

Marty B. deserves the Vezina. But I guess I am bias. :evil:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#5 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 10:10 PM

Here's my favorite line:

Even so, the only reason he gets mentioned is because his team wins and he's so close to NY.

Posted Image :joker:

<_< That post was by an Avs fan!
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 10:17 PM

If Turco played all year I think he would win it and when the Turco injury happened I thought Brodeur would win it but when Turco came back he looked great and when he set the GAA record a lot of people had him being the favourite. I think that could give him some votes.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 10:25 PM

Turco had time to rest during his injury. Who knows how he would have done in those games he missed.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 11:19 PM

Consistency does matter. Theodore and that guy Carrey are a perfect example. I think Marty playing more games than most of course gives him the oppty to win and lose more but will increase his GAA and save pct. Turco has a terrific team playing in front of him as well.

I don't get how the Devils have vastly superior defense to the Stars; is that some of these fans' arguments for why Brodeur does not deserve the Vezina? Maybe someone can remind them that Marty is basically our THIRD friggin defenseman and therefore a BIG part of our actual defense! :P Christ!!!!!

I also love the comment about how he's always received tons of credit - like, where and when?? This is the first year where I feel he's gotten the respect he deserves, although I'm sure that's partly because Hasek is retired.

Save % is also a misleading statistic, even more so than GAA in my opinion. For example, the Devs love to take shots at opposing goalies right into their logo and that naturally drives UP their save %. Their save % is very high yet it doesn't reflect the QUALITY of shots they faced. Other teams probably don't take as many crap shots on Brodeur, but the shots they get are often high quality and more likely to go in.

#9 SBT

SBT

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 11:44 PM

No doubt that Brodeur should win the Vezina this year.
Especially considering his overall numbers.
Unfortunately, that save percentage stat has worked against him in past years.

#10 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 01:25 AM

Other teams probably don't take as many crap shots on Brodeur, but the shots they get are often high quality and more likely to go in.

I wouldn't consider some of the blue line, short side and high face-off circle shots he's let in on some games this year as "high" quality.

Still, our boy deserves the Vezina.
So Say We All

#11 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 02:58 AM

While Turco led
>the NHL in goals-against average (1.72) and save percentage
>(.932), he played for a team that often gave him some
>breathing room, plus he was limited to 55 games because of
>injury.
>
>The Devils recorded 24 one-goal wins compared to 10 for the
>Stars. Dallas had 20 wins by three or more goals compared to
>three for New Jersey. Brodeur led the league in wins (41)
>and shutouts (nine).

To me, this would support Turco more than Brodeur. If you are up by 2 rather than 1, it is more likely that the other team will be bringing everything they can on offense. Look at it in Stars terms. If we are down 2 early, there is a pretty good chance Modano will be getting double shifted early. If we are down 1, Mo may get double shifted, but not as early or often as if we were down more. Same thing with teams the Stars play. If we have them down early, they are going to come out with their best offensive players and leave their grind lines on the bench.

Is it me or is that just one of hte dumbest posts ive ever read. A team 2 goals down fighting more then a team thats withing striking distance of at least a tie? Right buddy, whatever your smoking in want some cause its gotta be some great sh!t.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#12 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:49 AM

That guy is a complete idiot. I think it will be close.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#13 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:05 AM

Save% is deflated because NJ (im not sure if they finished the season this way) led the leauge in fewest shots against. Which means they enliminated the quick tosses to the chest that Marshall and the likes produce on the other goalies. Without that, your qualityshot% goes way up. A stat they can't possibly record because they cant even agree what a hit is... so theres no way to determine OFFICIALLY what a quality scoring chance is...

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#14 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 09:33 AM

Save % is the worst stat by which to measure a goaltender. You could just have your own guys take easy pot shots to inflate it throughout the game -- yeah, that makes you a better goalie.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#15 Gionta14

Gionta14

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:44 AM

If Turco were healthy for the entire season, I think he would be legitimate competition for Marty, but he was out for awhile, and I think that's going to affect the way voters think. Brodeur played more games and was consistent through all of them without getting much rest in between, and that says that he's just a great goalie. But, I guarantee you that if you went to a Toronto message board, the people there would be trashing both Martys and making a stronger case for Belfour. It's just biased as to which team you root for. I think in the end it's gonna come down to Brodeur and Belfour, with Turco's only knock being that he was injured. And the comment about Brodeur getting attention only because he's close to NY is bull - if that were true, then Mike Dunham would be mentioned as a candidate, which he obviously isn't because he's not one of the elite goalies of the league. But if that person were correct, he'd be right up there with both Martys and Belfour :D So obviously being close to the city has nothing to do with it.
Life is like hockey- you need goals

[color=red][i]

#16 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:12 PM

Who's up for a '00 rematch? :uni:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#17 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:56 PM

Marty will win it! Not sure which one though.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#18 goobergirl

goobergirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:10 PM

Who's up for a '00 rematch? :uni:

I am :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic