• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

Final stat line:

32 GP

9 G

12 A

14 PIM

Thats still better than what Pandolfo will finish the year with...

I personally think Shanahan is gonna score 11 goals and 11 assists...

Which PP does he go on?... I would assume the 2nd...

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene??

#62 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

HA!!!

Okay, so what's the over-under on Shanahan getting 8 goals in the remaining half-season?

I'm taking the under, but just barely...I say he finishes with 7.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#63 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Thats still better than what Pandolfo will finish the year with...

I personally think Shanahan is gonna score 11 goals and 11 assists...

Which PP does he go on?... I would assume the 2nd...

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene??

Holy crap, that's better than a lot of team's first units

Elias/Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner/Martin
Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene (or Oduya)

wow...

#64 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

shocked the contract is for this little. i figured even though lou was bidding against himself that shanahan is a marquee player and would have a problem taking such a huge paycut. i guess it shows that shanny really wanted to play again and that he wanted to leave his new team room to get some other guys if they wanted to.

This also put the whole notion of Shanny not wanting to be here to rest. At first, I thought he might just be looking for a nice payday, but the contract proves he really wants to be here. Makes me that much more comfortable with the signing.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#65 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

Too much for too long, terrible signing Lou. :rolleyes:

Holy crap, that's better than a lot of team's first units

Elias/Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner/Martin
Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene (or Oduya)

wow...

It's really not that wow.... we've been rolling those lines all year and last year without Rolston and Shanny with lousy results. Rolston hasn't done too much and Shanny probably wont either. These are mediocre pp lines at best, which is better then pitiful I suppose.

Edited by squishyx, 15 January 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#66 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Too much for too long, terrible signing Lou. :rolleyes:

It's really not that wow.... we've been rolling those lines all year and last year without Rolston and Shanny with lousy results. Rolston hasn't done too much and Shanny probably wont either. These are mediocre pp lines at best, which is better then pitiful I suppose.

I completely disagree. I think those are two very impressive PP units. The top unit has been streaky with its production, but it has shown when it's on it can score like the best of'em. That second might get a little predictable seeing as it's sole obvious objective is point shots, but those are two of the best in the game at it so I'm still confident.

Also, to compare these to the ones last year is just being ignorant to the facts. Elias and Parise are both on pace to have 30+ more points than last year, Zajaac was in his sophmore slump and langenbrunner couldn't hit a soccer net with his shot. and then with the second unit (what we had of it) Gionta, well, see parise, elias, and langenbrunner for all of gio's problems last year, and Zubrus had zero confidence. We also had a vastly underachieving Greene and until late in the season the same for Oduya, plus the key part of that unit wasn't even on the team (Rolston and Shanny's shots). So to argue that those lines aren't among the elite 1-2 punches as far as PP goes is just dumb.

#67 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

I completely disagree. I think those are two very impressive PP units. The top unit has been streaky with its production, but it has shown when it's on it can score like the best of'em. That second might get a little predictable seeing as it's sole obvious objective is point shots, but those are two of the best in the game at it so I'm still confident.

Also, to compare these to the ones last year is just being ignorant to the facts. Elias and Parise are both on pace to have 30+ more points than last year, Zajaac was in his sophmore slump and langenbrunner couldn't hit a soccer net with his shot. and then with the second unit (what we had of it) Gionta, well, see parise, elias, and langenbrunner for all of gio's problems last year, and Zubrus had zero confidence. We also had a vastly underachieving Greene and until late in the season the same for Oduya, plus the key part of that unit wasn't even on the team (Rolston and Shanny's shots). So to argue that those lines aren't among the elite 1-2 punches as far as PP goes is just dumb.

Those are just intangible arguments. Player X has this going for him this year, or Player Y is no longer injured or Player Z is on pace for this, none of those actually matter when it comes to results. Despite all the things you listed, the Devils power play is mediocre and now we have a slight modification.

Bottom line is, it doesn't produce like a a team with two great pp units. If the argument is that it looks good on paper, well ok I still wouldn't agree but I wouldn't bother commenting on it either. In practice though, where it counts, the Devil's power play is inept and will now be slightly less inept. All we have added in the last few days is Shanny, a good thing for sure, but he hardly tips us onto the "elite 1-2 punch" as you put it.

Edited by squishyx, 15 January 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#68 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Wow how'd we get Shanny for only $800,000.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#69 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Wow how'd we get Shanny for only $800,000.

more like $400,000, at least in terms of cap hit :D

its a steal of a deal with 0 risk IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users