56 replies to this topic

#41 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,843 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:47 PM

DR doesn't deserve to be called a hypocrite. He's always been a good fan of the Devs on this board but because attendance is mentioned, he's not a real fan :unsure: ?

Most of you are all diehard fans of that team. DR still follows them loyally from Ottawa. I'd imagine it would be tough to follow them and also get out to Continential Airlines Arena from there.

Didn't DR attend a couple of Ottawa-Devils games in Kanata?

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#42 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:53 PM

I live in California, don't blame me. ;)
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#43 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:54 PM

Ugh!! I don't get it. You either like the game of hockey or you don't. I rather enjoyed the chess game going on between Burns and Tortorella.

Boring? Burns said it best: (paraphrasing) "I'd rather win 2-1 than get embarassed in a 7-6 loss.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:38 PM

He said he would rather win 1-0 then win 7-6. I think any coach would rather win 2-1 then lose 7-6.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#45 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Derek. I attend every Devils game against Ottawa in Ottawa. In the playoffs it will be tough to get tickets if Ottawa and NJ play each other but I will try. Even if that means sleeping outside the Corel Centre one night. I would do that to have a chance to get to a Devils playoff game. But season ticket holders can reserve seats so I could get a friend to reserve for me.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#46 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 07:04 PM

Derek posting a Brooks' article on this subject is adding fuel to the fire and a dig.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#47 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 07:14 PM

The excitement level doesn't overwhelmingly matter. $50 cheap seats do.

#48 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 01:43 AM

It is easy for an out-of-stater/out-of-provincer to complain about attendance because they can not be blamed. But it is hard when you are faced with high ticket prices, an arena in the middle of a swamp, horrible traffic problems, and little public transportation esp. no train service. Ottawa has multiple bus lines for an arena exclusively. We have relatively nothing! Which game would sell out faster, 34th Street Penn Station or Route 120, Meadowlands. This team deserves a new arena and a sold-out crowd. I agree, I wish we had more people in the stands, but I'd take a win with nobody in the crowd over a loss in front of a sold-out crowd. Gary Thorne can subtlely dig us all he wants.

#49 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 03:27 AM

for people saying that attendance is due to the Devils being "boring", I think thats insane...I would much rather see a well played tight checking, low scoring game, than a sloppy shoot-out, with a ton of defensive break downs...plus the fact that the Devils are kings of this style, and a smothering force in the playoffs make it all the more entertaining! :burn:
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#50 Germanator

Germanator

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 07:52 AM

Okay, now here comes the propably farest ankle from that you can look at it, it's my ankle*G* :)

Basically I perceive three facts as main reasons.

1. It's the prices. But you already talked about that enough.

2. It's the arena. I know a lot of people who do not feel attracted by it for the reason it doesn't support noise or whatever...can't say much more about it. <_<

3. It's the state and city situation. You're not only living in an accumulating area of cities, in fact these are hockeytowns. To the North you'll find a majority of Rangers-fans that fill the Garden and not forget the Isles, and as soon as you cross the border to the south, you will see people wearing Flyers-jerseys if I imagine that right. The Devils are competing for a "limited audience" (though it's an amazingly big audience) along with the many other sports teams in your region. And the upper two reasons might destroy the rest potential. -> in a place where the Devils would be in a monopoly position, they could as well demand higher prices than now and were still sold out. :blink:

A quote from another hockeyfan dealing with the same issue about the Devils:

"You can get from Times Square to the Meadowlands in about 10-15 minutes on the bus. But no one in New York wants to see the Devils. They want to see the Rangers.

My guess would be the Devils fan base stretches from the Hudson River to about Princeton. West and south of there, you are a Flyers fan. East of there, you are a Rangers fan. Although there are a lot of people living in that area, the demographics aren't real favorable for hockey. Throw in the fact that the building is only accesible via mass transit from downtown New York, and you've got problems, hence the reason the Devils want to move to downtown Newark near mass transit."
:huh:
GERMANY - Visit the country of saucages, beer, medieval culture, mad scientists, ubermutanten, werewolves, mobiles and luxury cars.
Here's the page of the city I'm living near to:
Website of Dresden

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 08:19 AM

I am sure some fans feel why spend 400 bucks when the team doesn't play very exciting hockey. I am not saying all but I am sure there is a good portion.

logokx.jpg

#52 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 08:56 AM

I am sure some fans feel why spend 400 bucks when the team doesn't play very well. I am not saying all but I am sure there is a good portion.

Not playing very well??? :blink:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#53 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 08:58 AM

Doesn't play very well. I guess the 108 pts in the season, and the second round means just that. If you mean entertaining, than those people, the handfew, will probably not buy tickets for a vary of other reasons as well. You want entertaining go see the Leafs, Red Wings, they play entertaining. Oh wait, no they don't. What about the Flyers? We scored more and allowed the same, so techinically we had a more "entertaining" season.

#54 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 10:48 AM

I meant not playing the style they may like or feel it is boring.

logokx.jpg

#55 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,796 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 12:39 PM

it was tampa, game 1, weeknight. No real chance for a sellout. The NHL is not very popular anymore, it's not as exciting. The Devs are especially boring but we would still get a sellout if the Rags, Flyer, Isles, or Leafs were here for a playoff game.

Devils should get at least 18,000 for todays game.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#56 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 01:05 PM

it was tampa, game 1, weeknight. No real chance for a sellout. The NHL is not very popular anymore, it's not as exciting. The Devs are especially boring but we would still get a sellout if the Rags, Flyer, Isles, or Leafs were here for a playoff game.

Devils should get at least 18,000 for todays game.

thanks '7' glad to see your positive outlook never changes. ;)
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#57 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,796 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 01:07 PM

well, when the subject is Devils attendance, there aren't many positives..... :saddevil:
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users