31 replies to this topic

#21 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

I don't think Zubrus is the weak link on that line. I think it's Gionta. Zubrus is great a getting the pucks out of the corners and fighting along the walls and Elias is great at holding onto the puck and dishing it out, we need a trigger man which is why I would want Rolston on the right wing where he would be used more effectively.
But back to the topic at hand, I think Zubrus has been playing well even if the numbers don't show. I think he has been above average in our own zone.
Posted Image

#22 derek10

derek10

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

As much as I like Zubie, he turned his 2 seasons with Ovechkin into his current contract. That and he played well for Buffalo on his little run with them in the playoffs of 06/07. Granted, he didn't score a goal for them in the playoffs, but on quite a few nights, he was there best forward.

#23 koolkoreankid23

koolkoreankid23

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

Zubrus has all the skills to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. But for whatever reason, he just hasn't. He has a great wrist shot, and certainly can skate. I like Zubrus a lot, but right about now, Gomez looks so good in between Elias and Gio.

#24 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

Zubrus has all the skills to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. But for whatever reason, he just hasn't. He has a great wrist shot, and certainly can skate. I like Zubrus a lot, but right about now, Gomez looks so good in between Elias and Gio.

Not at all, Gomez is a lazy bum. Gionta may have done better with Gomez centering him but not so much Elias.
Posted Image

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

name them. i see nikolai antropov. and that's about it. that's not saying that zubrus's skill set is particularly valuable, or that he's even been good this year. but he can play all three forward positions, is much bigger than the average player, plays well along the boards, and is an above-average passer. there are not many players for whom this is true.

Another one that comes to mind is Radek Bonk. Makes $2 million + per year less than Zubrus. I'll concede Zubrus is the better player, but I think Bonk could more or less step into Zubrus' role if necessary. And like I said, if the cap space you save could be the difference in landing a Bowmeester type in free agency, it's a no-brainer. In other words, who would you rather have, Bonk/Bowmeester or Zubrus/Andy Greene. Again, with a hard salary cap, you have to think of potential alternatives that have been made impracticable as a result of signing someone else.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

In other words, who would you rather have, Bonk/Bowmeester or Zubrus/Andy Greene.

this is a false dichotomy for one, and for two, radek bonk? bonk's playoff performance notwithstanding, a wretched 12 goals in 73 games, bonk hasn't had 30 points since the lockout and isn't likely to get 30 this season. he's nowhere near as strong on the boards and he can't dominate games like zubrus can when he's at the top of his game. plus i don't think he can play right wing. i don't even think it's close between these two.

i'd be surprised if radek bonk is in the league next year.

when the devils signed zubrus, they had no alternatives. they almost had to sign him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

Another one that comes to mind is Radek Bonk. Makes $2 million + per year less than Zubrus. I'll concede Zubrus is the better player, but I think Bonk could more or less step into Zubrus' role if necessary.

uh, no peg.

look, i was the first person to bring up acquiring bonk b/c i think he's a much better 4th line alternative than rupp or pando in the playoffs and can win faceoffs - something the devils are hurting in. its a reason i always wanted yanic perrault at the deadline as well. perhaps i overrate faceoffs, but whatever.

zubrus is considerably better than bonk and replacing him with an average player (and that is what bonk is) puts a hole in the devils lineup. if zubrus' contract was the reason that oduya goes then that's something else. but the $2MM difference (at absolute most) between zubrus and the guy replacing him on the roster will not get a better defenseman in here.

look, zubrus is not a number one center. he's a 2nd line guy on a good team and a 3rd liner on a great team. that's what he's been doing with the devils.

my point is, for this year and this run, i'd like the devils to take the shot and a guy like antropov or some other top line forward (preferably a center) would catapult this team to prohibitive favorites (assuming of course they also got ANY defensive upgrade from Andy Greene).

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

I honestly think Zubrus is one of the players who is playing banged up. I know Weekes mentioned there were a few players who he could not name. He just doesn't seem like he could handle the boards battles as well as he has normally. When he's playing well offensively, he's the one who gives Gionta and Elias the room to create chances by winning the boards battles and maintaining control of the puck. I know Doc Emrick would frequently mix Zubs up with Parise, and I know their numbers could be mistaken for each other, but I think its mainly because he has the same work ethic on his fore-check. And though he hasn't been playing his best games offensively lately, he's still playing very sound defensively. In many cases, the team would not have broken up the opposing teams fore-check and made it out of the defensive zone if it weren't for him. I wouldn't underestimate his importance to this team.

His contract could be another story though.

Edited by The Facepainter, 27 February 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

this is a false dichotomy for one, and for two, radek bonk? bonk's playoff performance notwithstanding, a wretched 12 goals in 73 games, bonk hasn't had 30 points since the lockout and isn't likely to get 30 this season. he's nowhere near as strong on the boards and he can't dominate games like zubrus can when he's at the top of his game. plus i don't think he can play right wing. i don't even think it's close between these two.

i'd be surprised if radek bonk is in the league next year.

when the devils signed zubrus, they had no alternatives. they almost had to sign him.

I see this thread about being whether Zubrus has been worth it, not whether he can or should be replaced at this point. And as I see it, he's overpaid compared to his performance. I bring up a guy like Bonk, simply because I think he could more or less do just as well playing alongside Elias as Zubrus. With that saved cap space, you can go for broke on a truly great player, or simply make sure you have the cap space to lock up your career players. The reason why the Rangers are in all likelihood going to be a very mediocre team for the next few years isn't because Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rosival are BAD players, it's that they're OVERPAID players.

In the end though, Zubrus is not the huge albatross that other free agent signings have been. I just think the money spent on him would have been better served elsewhere.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

I see this thread about being whether Zubrus has been worth it, not whether he can or should be replaced at this point. And as I see it, he's overpaid compared to his performance. I bring up a guy like Bonk, simply because I think he could more or less do just as well playing alongside Elias as Zubrus. With that saved cap space, you can go for broke on a truly great player, or simply make sure you have the cap space to lock up your career players. The reason why the Rangers are in all likelihood going to be a very mediocre team for the next few years isn't because Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rosival are BAD players, it's that they're OVERPAID players.

Redden is legitimately bad - or at least he was pre-Tortorella.

But yes, I understand your point. My point was simply that the Devils didn't have a chocie - they desperately needed someone with size up front. And Zubrus is a much better two-way player than Radek Bonk, who again, I will be shocked to see in an NHL uniform next season.

In the end though, Zubrus is not the huge albatross that other free agent signings have been. I just think the money spent on him would have been better served elsewhere.

and i very much disagree with this. coming out of 2007, the devils clearly had problems along the boards, constantly getting beat, and being unable to establish a forecheck. zubrus has helped on that front - so too has the development of parise, zajac, and clarkson. and zubrus can always be a shutdown center if that's what you ask him to do - he'll take too many minor penalties, but he will get the job done aside from that. my point is that unless zubrus's effort is flagging, it's hard for tihs contract to be outright terrible, as he can fill in just about anywhere with competence.

Edited by Triumph, 27 February 2009 - 05:26 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Zubrus is good and paid reasonably. I like him a lot and although he doesn't put up big offensive numbers he contributes every night along the boards and with his size. 3.4 million cap hit a year is not that much as Lou is paying

2.5 to Holik
2.5 to Pando
2.9 to Madden

considering Zubrus can do everything those guys can do and more.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 27 February 2009 - 05:36 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#32 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Zubrus is good and paid reasonably. I like him a lot and although he doesn't put up big offensive numbers he contributes every night along the boards and with his size. 3.4 million cap hit a year is not that much as Lou is paying

2.5 to Holik
2.5 to Pando
2.9 to Madden

considering Zubrus can do everything those guys can do and more.

But I am pretty sure Madden and Holik's cap hit will reduce if they want to stay. If Lou does the Pando signing again, I'll be pissed.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users