#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

ric:

the stars are off the hook for the other $6 million they owe him. burying him in the minors means having him at training camp, having him around your minor league affiliate - yeah you take a hit in terms of dollars and cap space, but the odor of his presence is gone.

So what was the point of claiming bell if they were just gonna send him down to hartford to save cap space?

1: he's insurance in case avery doesn't make it.

2: he might be better than aaron voros, patrick rissmiller, or whomever else are the rangers' depth wings at this point.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Claiming him also put them at the end of the waiver line for Avery. Which, if they wanted Sean this badly maybe a mistake, some other team would claim him with the hope that Sather still wants Sean for half price and get an asset in return. I doubt that happens, but it is a possibility.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Claiming him also put them at the end of the waiver line for Avery. Which, if they wanted Sean this badly maybe a mistake, some other team would claim him with the hope that Sather still wants Sean for half price and get an asset in return. I doubt that happens, but it is a possibility.

ah that's an excellent point, but i think it's way too dangerous a move to acquire avery with the sole intention of trading him.

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,444 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

ah that's an excellent point, but i think it's way too dangerous a move to acquire avery with the sole intention of trading him.

Not when the Rangers have made it so public that they're bringing him in. To the point where Sather actually said the coach will learn to love Sean like we do.

I'm not sure what happens after another team claims Avery though if they try to send him to the minors.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Was Avery suspended earlier this year when we played the Stars? I forget.

Nope, he got hit every time he moved and the Stars didn't know how to cope with the situation/atmosphere (there was no one at the game, but those that were, were loud and ANGRY), so they got rolled.

Probably the game that started this sh!tshow along, where the Stars realized what they had gotten into.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Not when the Rangers have made it so public that they're bringing him in. To the point where Sather actually said the coach will learn to love Sean like we do.

I'm not sure what happens after another team claims Avery though if they try to send him to the minors.

the upside: a 3rd round pick, maybe
the downside: having sather say 'haha, thanks but no thanks, he's all yours' - then you have to bury him in the minors or pay him to go away - the waiver claim itself costs a 5 figure sum, plus avery's salary is 2/9ths of 4 million dollars, or something like $900,000.

#27 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

If he does go to the Rangers, then I think we should give Marty the night off. The next time we play them is the 30th of this month, so we should start whoever our backup is at that point, whether it's Clemmer or Weekes. I know Marty can handle him, but I don't want to take any chances around playoff time.

What kind of p*ssy attitude is that? Are you fvcking kidding me with this?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#28 the cyknus

the cyknus

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

If he does go to the Rangers, then I think we should give Marty the night off. The next time we play them is the 30th of this month, so we should start whoever our backup is at that point, whether it's Clemmer or Weekes. I know Marty can handle him, but I don't want to take any chances around playoff time.

um.. i dunno about that but i would be sure PL3 and rupp were in the lineup
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

#29 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

um.. i dunno about that but i would be sure PL3 and rupp were in the lineup

We got Holik, and the single thing Bobby's good at is illegally hitting someone (Avery).

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#30 ALBDEVSFAN

ALBDEVSFAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

We got Holik, and the single thing Bobby's good at is illegally hitting someone (Avery).

Oh how I would love to see a great interference hit on avery like on Asham the other day. Like one of those when he acts like "oh uh didn't see ya there and continues to climb over the guy and push him when hes down". Neither of them fight though, It's weird those years with Janssen around he never got a piece of him, I mean even hollweg hiked up his skirt and fought him. I just wish for the rags they didn't call instigators cuz He really needs a good pummeling along with Rutuu, downie, Hollweg. This kinda players always seem to fire me up lol
"I'm not throwing pillows, I'm trying to knock the dude's head off. I'm trying to get it through his head that if he fights me, he's going to get hurt. I don't want guys to like to fight me or look forward to fighting me. I want them to be scared sh!tless in the other locker room before the game even starts" - Scott Parker

#31 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

I don't think Avery is going to help the RAGS. Even if he does, we are a different team than last year.

No worries IMO.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#32 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

He's not exactly tearing up the AHL - two goals, one assist, 8 PIM, -2 rating in 8 games.

I still would rather seem someone else claim him first. Not fear of him being back with the Rangers, just that I want to see this whole back-alley collusion business with the Rangers and Stars blow up in both their faces. C'mon Isles, you know you wanna pick up Avery at half price. Hell, you can even dress him for the Isles/Rangers game Thursday and dangle him in front of them, really rub it in.

Yeah, it won't happen. But it would be so riotously funny if it did.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#33 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

If avery does end up with the rags when we vs them on the 30th Marty better play and we better hit him every single chance we can.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#34 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

He's not exactly tearing up the AHL - two goals, one assist, 8 PIM, -2 rating in 8 games.

Knowing Sather, wouldn't surprise me if he told Avery to ease up and float in the AHL to diminish his value to any another team that might pluck him in re-entry. If he looks bad, why would anyone want him and it puts the Rags in much better position to claim him without a team sniping him.

Other then that, i am still of the belief that this clown does not care about being a hockey player anymore.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users