206 replies to this topic

#61 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

So, from that standpoint, it's a good trade. But for the need, it's not. We already have players of this level, I think we need another player of Martin's level or higher.

for the need it's not? lou likes to have 8 defensemen on the roster come playoff time. basically, the #8 man would've been either salmela, mark fraser, or someone else totally unprepared to play NHL playoff hockey. the devils have 3 injury-prone defenders on the roster - colin white has been banged up the last 3 playoff seasons. having a havelid type isn't going to win you many games, but he's not going to lose you many either, and that's the point - he can adequately fill in on a top-ish pairing if someone gets injured. seeing how this team played with paul martin out, he had to at least plug up that hole, even if the plug is temporary.

Edited by Triumph, 02 March 2009 - 06:12 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#62 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

idk if i like this i thought that Salmela could of turned into one of the better defenseman in a couple years he just had to stop making stupid mistakes ... he had a rocket of a shot and i guarntee that comes back to haunt us next season.

#63 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

He's a good pick up. His only real eye catching stat is that he led Atlanta w/ 164 blocked shots. Thats 50 more than anyone on the Devils. He's 4th in the league in blocked shots.

Unfortunately blocked shots by a defenseman isn't as big a deal in the Devils system. Marty doesn't like his defenseman to block shots. Matvichuk had the same dilemma when he came to the Devils and he had to stop the shot blocking.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

every chance just got somewhat slimmer, given that he's going to an organization that has brought up about 3 solid NHL defensemen in 10 years of existence.

Does Coburn count as one of the three? :giggle:

Typical Lou move - not flashy but solid. And he almost always trades for D depth at the deadline anyway, with good reason this year since every time White or Martin have been out of the lineup the D's been lost.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#65 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Maybe now Greene will be going now that we don't even have him in the starting team.
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#66 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

We were never gonna be able to trade Salmela for Pronger. I think this is a good move. We get Greene out of the lineup and replace him with a guy who blocks a ton of shots.

I never said we were going to be able to trade Samela for Pronger.

#67 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Unfortunately blocked shots by a defenseman isn't as big a deal in the Devils system. Marty doesn't like his defenseman to block shots. Matvichuk had the same dilemma when he came to the Devils and he had to stop the shot blocking.

this isn't quite true - marty doesn't like his defensemen/forwards sliding on the ice to block shots. i don't think swedish players are taught to do that, though.

it is funny that shot blocking has a negative correlation with winning.

#68 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

this isn't quite true - marty doesn't like his defensemen/forwards sliding on the ice to block shots. i don't think swedish players are taught to do that, though.

it is funny that shot blocking has a negative correlation with winning.

I think in general he doesn't like them blocking shots with their bodies at all. It's all a sight issue for him. I think the Devils are ok to block shots with their sticks but they better make darn sure they block it if they're going to get in Marty's sightline.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#69 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

for the need it's not? lou likes to have 8 defensemen on the roster come playoff time. basically, the #8 man would've been either salmela, mark fraser, or someone else totally unprepared to play NHL playoff hockey. the devils have 3 injury-prone defenders on the roster - colin white has been banged up the last 3 playoff seasons. having a havelid type isn't going to win you many games, but he's not going to lose you many either, and that's the point - he can adequately fill in on a top-ish pairing if someone gets injured. seeing how this team played with paul martin out, he had to at least plug up that hole, even if the plug is temporary.

I think we need another top level defenseman. Partially because of the injury reasons you said. I don't trust Martin.

We'll see how everything shakes out. Most of the teams around/behind us are not that strong defensively. Boston worries me, though, because if they can pull something off, they might be able to shut us down. I feel like we're in a deadline showdown with them. If they improve radically defensively and we don't, it's an issue. Although I obviously trust Marty far more than I would Tim Thomas.

#70 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

I never said we were going to be able to trade Samela for Pronger.

So then what are you disappointed about? I doubt we're going to get Pronger anyway but making this trade doesn't make it any less possible.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#71 the cyknus

the cyknus

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I don't trust Martin.

:noclue:

martin is our best defender!!!

Edited by the cyknus, 02 March 2009 - 06:23 PM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

#72 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

A quote from Havelid I saw over on HF (supposedly from a Swedish site)...if this is accurate he's got a keen sense of humor :lol:

It's great coming to a team with Stanley Cup as the only goal. In Atlanta the goal was to get out of our own zone first and foremost.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#73 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

This deal really pisses me off. Lou is done, this is our move and my Xmas is ruined.
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#74 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Maxpower, you said you don't trust Martin. Is it that you don't think he'll stay healthy, or you just don't think a team with Martin as the top defender (and he is the best D-man we have) is going to win anything?
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#75 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

That's an interesting stat. The fact that Havelid is a plus player on such a lousy team says a lot. Salvador I believe was also a plus player on a horrible St. Louis team at the time of that trade last year too IIRC. This is a VERY solid depth move. I think Lou is done now, so I really hope there aren't a bunch of whiny bitches on this board if nothing happens on Wednesday.

You must be joking. There are always people complaining on here after the deadline because they think the trade deadline is just Lou going to the grocery store with his shoppers' club card and coupons and picking out whatever he wants at a ridiculous price without having to actually negotiate with other GM's who are also trying to assemble a championship roster. Every year people complain when we don't get the big-name guy even though nobody on here knows what the asking price is.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#76 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I think we need another top level defenseman. Partially because of the injury reasons you said. I don't trust Martin.

yeah but you can't plan for that. if one of your top players is injury-prone that's life.

We'll see how everything shakes out. Most of the teams around/behind us are not that strong defensively. Boston worries me, though, because if they can pull something off, they might be able to shut us down. I feel like we're in a deadline showdown with them. If they improve radically defensively and we don't, it's an issue. Although I obviously trust Marty far more than I would Tim Thomas.

boston has way more assets than we do. they also have tim thomas, as you note, and a younger team in general. given this havelid deal, though, i don't see where that top-level guy slides in unless someone comes off the roster. is sutter really going to sit one of havelid, mottau, or salvador? this is it for defensemen for new jersey, barring a massive coup (i.e. salvador being traded for a rental-ish player).

Edited by Triumph, 02 March 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#77 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

well, i guess they figure salmela's problems were unfixable. good job making an asset then selling it though.

That must be true.

I was a Salmela fan but I like this move. This team has a serious shot to win the Cup and trading a project like Salmela for a solid defenseman that will get Greene out of the line up is a plus to me. Sure Salmela may turn into a solid NHL defenseman, but he can also end up failing and going back to Finland in a year or two. Good job by Lou to upgrade the top 6 and add depth.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#78 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

I liked Anssi but he was really a long shot to ever have any impact on the club. Havelid will probably solidify the bottom pair and I like having Greene and Mottau battle for the 7th spot with Leach. I don't see another trade coming.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#79 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Here's the thing about Salmela...Oduya learned how to play defense here, why couldn't Anssi?

#80 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Solid move. I don't think Salmela had a place on this team next year with Corrente developing into a good Dman.

Here's the thing about Salmela...Oduya learned how to play defense here, why couldn't Anssi?

Just because they're both European doesn't mean they're the same player/person. Everyone develops differently and I'd rather see Salmela go then another prospect.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users