381 replies to this topic

#341 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Gerber has had 2 nice seasons in his career so if I could get him for free versus getting a guy with 1 nice season but having to give up stuff. Seems an easy choice to me if I'm not making the playoffs either way.

Eh, they also got Olaf Kolzig. I was hoping Clemmer would have a new home sooner rather than later. Maybe the Laffs will pick him up over the summer.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#342 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

He is a mucker. He is Aaron Asham. 10 points in 54 games and a -10. He is someone the Flyers already have several of.

He's much better than Asham. It's hard to explain. Carcillo is actually a pretty good offensive prospect. He's just batsh!t insane. Look at his PIM total from last season.

I really don't understand the trade either, but I'm not exactly thrilled about Carcillo coming east. Now there's two Averys.

#343 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

The hype is always greater than the reality :)

Though the Rangers panic moves were entertaining.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#344 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

That's selling Colorado short. The Devils '00-'01 team had some issues that have been discussed to death here, so I won't go into all of them again, but that Colorado team wasn't THAT far removed from having won a Cup before, and was no slouch...they boasted plenty of talent.

Colorado was on it's 5th year of being removed form their 1st Cup and they had plenty of talent, minus Forsberg, but Detroit boasted plenty of talent in 1995 too. The Devils had them right where they wanted them going into Game 6 and could not seal the deal. If you have a Cup clinching game at home you have to win it, especially when it's a Game 6. Any coach, player or studio talking head will tell you that.

It was disappointing for sure, but I just can't pencil a potential home game Cup-clincher as some sort of automatic.

Nothing is automatic in anything, but you have to win that game. It's a sports clique to be sure, but it holds true. Home ice, 1st change, racious crowd and the spector of having to go back to Colorado to play a 7th game should be enough of a edge to the home team.

You say that Foote's Game 6 goal to make it 1-0 effectively ended the series...I say that if a 1-0 Colorado lead and Gomez's goal being disallowed in Game 6 was enough to kill the Devils for the rest of the series, then the Devils didn't deserve to win. I'm just one of those fans that feels that it's only fair to give the OTHER team credit sometimes when they beat your team.

A playoff series is full of momentum changes and key moments that define a series or championship where one key moment wins it for one team. You can credit the team for taking advantage of it or look at it as a lost opportunity for the other team. It's all up to the perspective of the individual.

Should the Devils have been that affected by that 1st period? Probably not. However, it was the series turning point. IMO, the Cup was the Devils to lose not Colorado's to win going into Game 6 in 2001.

Edited by SJP20, 04 March 2009 - 05:06 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#345 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

He's much better than Asham. It's hard to explain. Carcillo is actually a pretty good offensive prospect. He's just batsh!t insane. Look at his PIM total from last season.

I really don't understand the trade either, but I'm not exactly thrilled about Carcillo coming east. Now there's two Averys.

I really don't know how you figure that. Even in juniors he was not an offensive force. He is a goon that is why he has a high PIM total. He may not be Cam Janssen on offense but I do not think the Avery comparisons are apt.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#346 DevRickus

DevRickus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

The Š„klund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) bashing on his own site is priceless:

Hey EK. Your site sucks big black dudes off in a dark alley. for free. In fact, your site probably pays them for the privilege.

Have you ever considered spending some of that ad revenue on a decent server? Cause this is brutal. You know that quote about those who forget history are doomed to repeat it? Wow. I didn't know that they meant three times in a row.

#347 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

I really don't know how you figure that. Even in juniors he was not an offensive force. He is a goon that is why he has a high PIM total. He may not be Cam Janssen on offense but I do not think the Avery comparisons are apt.

from watching him play. he has offensive ability. he's just easily distracted. He played 57 games last season and spent over 5 of them in the box.

#348 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Colorado was on it's 5th year of being removed form their 1st Cup and they had plenty of talent, minus Forsberg, but Detroit boasted plenty of talent in 1995 too. The Devils had them right where they wanted them going into Game 6 and could not seal the deal. If you have a Cup clinching game at home you have to win it, especially when it's a Game 6. Any coach, player or studio talking head will tell you that.

Nothing is automatic in anything, but you have to win that game. It's a sports clique to be sure, but it holds true. Home ice, 1st change, racious crowd and the spector of having to go back to Colorado to play a 7th game should be enough of a edge to the home team.

A playoff series is full of momentum changes and key moments that define a series or championship where one key moment wins it for one team. You can credit the team for taking advantage of it or look at it as a lost opportunity for the other team. It's all up to the perspective of the individual.

Should the Devils have been that affected by that 1st period? Probably not. However, it was the series turning point. IMO, the Cup was the Devils to lose not Colorado's to win going into Game 6 in 2001.

It goes both ways. IMO we really didn't play that well in any of the first 4 games and were on the verge of going down 3 games to 1 until Roy gave away game 4, otherwise the Avs would have had a chance to end it at home in 5. I'll go to my grave believing that the reason we lost that series was because we had such an easy time with the Pens and took servral games to get back up to speed against the Avs.

Also, wasn't it Martin Skoula who scored the first goal in Game 6?

Edited by PhillyDevil, 04 March 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#349 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

from watching him play. he has offensive ability. he's just easily distracted. He played 57 games last season and spent over 5 of them in the box.

meh the ability is kind of there it seems. but i don't think he's that much better than arron asham.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#350 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

So what happens to Miro Satan now.... Wilkes Barre?!

#351 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Considering J-Bou, Kaberle and Pronger are still where they started and didn't move to Washington, Boston, or Philly I'm happy. Not only that those teams didn't even get the second tier option.

+1 on this. The Phaggots didn't get a goaltender or Bouwmeester and Boston didn't get Pronger, so I'm happy. We're the only team among the top 5 that you can argue actually improved.

Edited by MadDog2020, 04 March 2009 - 06:03 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#352 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Antropov isn't all that great but the Rags needed to address their offense. A 2nd and a conditional is pretty fair. He is a 25-30, 60 point player.

Morris is overrated but the Rags got him for garbage. Kalinen has been bad this season, Dawes is small and soft but has at least a bit of a scoring touch, but it's really not clear if he's going to make it in the league and in what role. Prucha has been awful since his rookie season and may be out of the NHL soon. I'm not sure what he does now for the Rags.

Carcillo and McLaren were born to be Flyers. That team is going to hurt some people...but these trades really didn't make them better on the ice. But if we see them in the playoffs, prepare for a lot of Devils getting run from behind, hit up high, elbowed.

Edited by '7', 04 March 2009 - 06:31 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#353 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

But if we see them in the playoffs, prepare for a lot of Devils getting run from behind, hit up high, elbowed.

...and the Devils to win in 4.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#354 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

...and the Devils to win in 4.

I'd say Devils in 5

same for a series vs. the Rags.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#355 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

I'd say Devils in 5

same for a series vs. the Rags.

Somehow I'd live with it :)

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#356 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Redden and Morris in the same defensive unit :rofl:

Over hyped and overpaid.

Edited by SickMan, 04 March 2009 - 06:42 PM.

New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#357 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

The rags make me laugh as those acquisitions won't push them on top, plus their playoff hopes are slim because they will face the Flyers 4 more times. Their schedule is tough and there is a good chance they'll miss the playoffs.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#358 ALBDEVSFAN

ALBDEVSFAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

You guys are kinda missing the point on carcillo though he's not a huge pickup, however If he can be a "Clarkson" for them that's an upgrade for them. Upshall wasn't great partly because John Stevens held him back. Clarkson has made a real big impact on our team this year. 30+ points top tier in Scaps. He does it all a grinder with offense. Philly does have 4 - "Middleweights" and I don't really a centerman out of those 4. I think this move may put Cote in the same place as Rupp is now which is on the outside looking in. Cote is turned useless, he gets the tar beat out of him and doesn't really fight or hit much which was the only way he was effective. For many teams this is an upgrade but for Philly eh it's alright.
BTW the diffrence between Carcillo and Avery is Avery is a bitch, Carcillo isn't.
"I'm not throwing pillows, I'm trying to knock the dude's head off. I'm trying to get it through his head that if he fights me, he's going to get hurt. I don't want guys to like to fight me or look forward to fighting me. I want them to be scared sh!tless in the other locker room before the game even starts" - Scott Parker

#359 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

You guys are kinda missing the point on carcillo though he's not a huge pickup, however If he can be a "Clarkson" for them that's an upgrade for them. Upshall wasn't great partly because John Stevens held him back. Clarkson has made a real big impact on our team this year. 30+ points top tier in Scaps. He does it all a grinder with offense. Philly does have 4 - "Middleweights" and I don't really a centerman out of those 4. I think this move may put Cote in the same place as Rupp is now which is on the outside looking in. Cote is turned useless, he gets the tar beat out of him and doesn't really fight or hit much which was the only way he was effective. For many teams this is an upgrade but for Philly eh it's alright.
BTW the diffrence between Carcillo and Avery is Avery is a bitch, Carcillo isn't.

But their goalie chokes anyway.Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#360 ALBDEVSFAN

ALBDEVSFAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

lol yeah I guess it don't really matter then plus those 4th liners Asham-Carcillo-Cote aren't very Intimidating defensively, with a sh!t goalie to boot.
"I'm not throwing pillows, I'm trying to knock the dude's head off. I'm trying to get it through his head that if he fights me, he's going to get hurt. I don't want guys to like to fight me or look forward to fighting me. I want them to be scared sh!tless in the other locker room before the game even starts" - Scott Parker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users