Photo

Possible Reason For Njdevils Blacklisting.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:46 PM

Is it really that hard to figure out?

It's not. I shut this game off because it was so boring. I don't enjoy watching teams play to hold on.

The Devils will probably win the Cup and not many people will care.

I know what people will say. "Derek, you'd gladly take more wins for your Rangers if they played better D and backchecked effectively."

I would be happier if they won more games but it wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch if their style was totally defensive. It would still be dull hockey.

I hope my team hires a tough coach who preaches attacking, aggressive hockey with hitting and solid D because that's the most exciting brand of hockey a team can play. Play to win.

Why should ESPN be excited about a team that takes the fun out of the game???

Spoken like a true CASUAL FAN Derek.

#22 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:53 PM

Im in the viewing minority... I hate any game that has more than 3 goals scored by a team... I personally like seeing defensive strategy play out... I hate when skaters can just skate through and pop a goal in every 2-3minutes....

Grant it, I know its not for the casual fan, and thats what televised sports are for... but still, I enjoy it... I really don't care what people think of the team, or if ESPN broadcasts it... I kinda get annoyed with the Metro thing, but thats just politics... :)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#23 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:54 PM

Im in the viewing minority... I hate any game that has more than 3 goals scored by a team... I personally like seeing defensive strategy play out... I hate when skaters can just skate through and pop a goal in every 2-3minutes....

Grant it, I know its not for the casual fan, and thats what televised sports are for... but still, I enjoy it... I really don't care what people think of the team, or if ESPN broadcasts it... I kinda get annoyed with the Metro thing, but thats just politics... :)

here here! :clap:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#24 IAmCanadian27

IAmCanadian27

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:58 PM

Amen, aylbert!
"He's got hockey strength, and he's one of those naturals. He's kind of a coach's dream. With some guys you have to keep repeating. With Paul, you point out something once and he picks it up."- Larry Robinson on Paul Martin

Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Scott Niedermayer & Keeper of Paul Martin

#25 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:00 PM

If scoring is so great then why don't the All-stars games get higher ratings Derek? Its like Burns said are games more exciting if you lose 7-6 as opposed to 2-1?

#26 Mighty Grendel

Mighty Grendel

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:01 PM

Yeah well said. The less goals there are in a game the more memerable and special the individual goals are.
Beowulf Sucks
(Reports of my slaying have been greatly exaggerated)

Keeper of the penalty shot Master Viktor Kozlov and Randy McKay's Playoff moustache
http://images.google...UK_USA_flag.gif

#27 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:10 PM

[quote name='Beck27' date='Apr 30 2003, 09:46 PM']Spoken like a true CASUAL FAN Derek.

People come up with conspiracy theories about why your team gets the lack of coverage it does. If the Devils were a more exciting hockey team, you'd see better coverage and more respect given to them.

I haven't mentioned one significant aspect to it either.

If you don't want to see it, fine.

But I am far from "a casual fan." I watch as many hockey games as I can. If it's dull, I turn it off. And tonight, I bet I wasn't the only fan who shut it off.

What's the point of watching the final period when you already have a good idea what the end result will be?

That's how automatic your team is with a lead.

This is how the game is played now by a majority of teams. It doesn't make the game entertaining when teams cut off 3/4 of the ice using the neutral zone.

This is how it will continue to be until they bring back the tag-up rule which allows fast skating teams to be aggressive and forecheck. Until they bring it back, teams will continue to clog up the neutral zone and sap the life out of an exciting sport.

You don't have to agree.

All-Star Games DM? Most people don't watch those games because they are pointless exhibitions with no worth. Besides, half the skilled stars who get elected come up with excuses to sit them out. More and more overpaid athletes only care about themselves and don't give a darn about the fans. If they cared, they wouldn't sit out and put on a good show instead.

As for Burns, he's doing what he has to do to succeed. If he had the kind of team that could open it up, I'm sure he'd tell them to do so. It's like Burns said a couple of times. He doesn't order his players not to score. The Devils just aren't that kind of team.

The 2001 team was the most exciting product they ever put out there. I enjoyed watching their games a lot more because there was always that scoring threat. You got to see a lot more end-to-end rushes and creativity. You can say they didn't win it all but that was their own fault.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#28 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:42 PM

And can you name any other team in the playoffs that is blowing out anyone? EVERY team is playing defensive hockey. The Ducks have won every game by ONE goal.

So if the Devs are boring so is ever other winning team in the league.

I have no desire to see high scoring games unless it is my Devs doing the scoring. So 5-0 would be fine, but I guess it would still be dull because the other team didn't score? The logic of this argument defies logic. A winning team is exciting to watch. The reason the Devs have a small fan base is because they were the new kids on the block in a saturated market. NJ has never had an identity. It has always been the state between Philly and NY. Jersey people are horrible flag waggers for their own state. They don't have the pride their neighbors have and I truly don't understand it. NJ is a beautiful, economically strong state with excellent health care and education. It is an extremely desireable place to live, hence the most densely populated. Millions of people know a good thing, just aren't used to having a team of their own. I think that will change with the next generation.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#29 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:47 PM

One more thing, Minnesota's Wild led by the trapper himself Lemaire, have sold out every game all year. They are tied with the Devs for winning the most one goal games. They play the trap, they play defense first. But they have tons of fans. Why? They play in Minnesota, hockey state.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#30 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:12 PM

Is it really that hard to figure out?

It's not.  I shut this game off because it was so boring.  I don't enjoy watching teams play to hold on.  

The Devils will probably win the Cup and not many people will care.

I know what people will say.  "Derek, you'd gladly take more wins for your Rangers if they played better D and backchecked effectively."

I would be happier if they won more games but it wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch if their style was totally defensive.  It would still be dull hockey.  

I hope my team hires a tough coach who preaches attacking, aggressive hockey with hitting and solid D because that's the most exciting brand of hockey a team can play.  Play to win.

Why should ESPN be excited about a team that takes the fun out of the game???

Gee Derek I thought tight defensive games were a trademark of playoff hockey. I guess you loved the last game then 4-3 lots of goals scored.

I think this year whatever team wins the cup, not many people will care outside of that team's fans.

I actually enjoyed the fact that TB couldn't get past the Jersey blue line in the third. It sort of reminded me of '95 when we didn't keep track of the opponents shots on goal, but on the number of minutes between their shots.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#31 brylin18

brylin18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:29 PM

derek, that's a nice essay you wrote. too bad i got bored in the middle of it and decided to skip it.

hey how about them rangers?

#32 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:31 PM

lmao!

Wow, that is really funny brylin18. I give you 4 stars for that post.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:35 PM

Question; why is it only in hockey that teams get grief for playing a defensive system? Great defenses are celebrated in football. The NBA is a star player driven league to be sure but defense is still respected and not treated with scorn (with the exception of Pat Riley's thuggery and Detroit's faceless team that can't win in the playoffs). Nobody ever accused the Yankees of being boring all these years in the playoffs when their games would be 6-7 inning affairs because their pitching (speficially the bullpen) was so good. Why is it only hockey?

And why are the Devils the only team in hockey that conistently gets ripped for their 'defensive system'? Why not Ottawa, Minnesota, Dallas, Detroit with their 'left wing lock', whomever? :angry:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:38 PM

[quote name='Rock' date='Apr 30 2003, 11:12 PM']Gee Derek I thought tight defensive games were a trademark of playoff hockey. I guess you loved the last game then 4-3 lots of goals scored.

There was an extreme difference in how that game was played and tonight's. One had more flow.

I actually enjoyed the fact that TB couldn't get past the Jersey blue line in the third. It sort of reminded me of '95 when we didn't keep track of the opponents shots on goal, but on the number of minutes between their shots.

You said this. However, here's what you said in a different post:

QUOTE (westcoastdevfan @ Apr 30 2003, 10:02 PM)
I had to peek. I'm glad our team won. Sounds like it will be a fun game to watch! Now onto the nightcap. GO DUCKS!

Actually at times it was tough to watch. But I did!

Nothing else needs to be said.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:43 PM

Wow. Line of the night goes to brylin.

I agree with Rock. When did defense become so abhorred?

A free-flowing playoff game wouldn't seem right. It's like eating just icing off the cake, it tastes good for about 30 seconds, then you get sick to your stomach. I like 2-1 games as long as there is passion, physical play, and skating.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:45 PM

Hasan:

"Why is it only hockey? And why are the Devils the only team in hockey that conistently gets ripped for their 'defensive system'? Why not Ottawa, Dallas, whomever?"

It doesn't matter which team it is. Don't be fooled by the crap you see dished out on ESPN. They are very biased and favor bigger market teams. Just look at how they openly root for the Flyers and Avs during the playoffs.

Are those teams really any different in style than the Devils? Nope. The 2001 series wasn't even that exciting yet it went a full seven games. I seem to recall the 2000 series being a lot more fun to watch. It involved Dallas and New Jersey.

It's not just the Devils Has. It's other teams as well.

That's one of the reasons I am rooting for Ottawa to win over the Flyers. Because if they do, they can make for the best match-up against New Jersey. They played some of the best games this season and I would expect the play to be similar.

#37 Mighty Grendel

Mighty Grendel

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:03 PM

Actually at times it was tough to watch. But I did!

Nothing else needs to be said.

Rock saying he found the game tough to watch at times doesn't mean he couldn't have enjoyed the rest of it. You make it sound like a small low point in a game ruins the whole thing. It's silly to expect a game to stay at the same pace the whole way though.
Beowulf Sucks

Keeper of the penalty shot Master Viktor Kozlov and Randy McKay's Playoff moustache

#38 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

It doesn't matter which team it is. Don't be fooled by the crap you see dished out on ESPN. They are very biased and favor bigger market teams. Just look at how they openly root for the Flyers and Avs during the playoffs.

No sh!t Derek. That is something that has been complained about here and other places for YEARS. They dont seem to understand that the NHL is actually a 30 team league and not a 6 team league. To that degree its their own damn fault no one watches the games on Espn/Espn 2. No one wants to see the same 6 teams 25 times a year each.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#39 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:23 PM

Of the 8 teams left, 4 (NJ, TB, MINN, ANA) are rarely shown on ESPN with Vancouver and Ottawa being shown a little more (Vancouver because of the 10/10:30 time slot and Ottawa because of their recent success) So ESPN is praying for a Dallas-Philly final so we can hear more of Clement and Morganti praising everything aobut the Flyers, even the way they drink from the water bottles. And we can see more of damn JR
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#40 Mighty Grendel

Mighty Grendel

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

No one wants to see the same 6 teams 25 times a year each.

unfortunately the number of people who want to watch those games is a lot greater than how many would want to watch a game like urmm atlanta @ NJ so of coarse espn are going to show them and they're hardly going to bash the top teams players in fear of angering a big majority of their viewers. I'm not saying it's right but you can't really blame them.
Beowulf Sucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users