Photo

Possible Reason For Njdevils Blacklisting.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:47 PM

unfortunately the number of people who want to watch those games is a lot greater than how many would want to watch a game like urmm atlanta @ NJ so of coarse espn are going to show them and they're hardly going to bash the top teams players in fear of angering a big majority of their viewers. I'm not saying it's right but you can't really blame them.

However its not exactly like people keep watching those teams either. Rating shave gone down each year for a couple of years now, yet all espn does in response is start pulling games, not diversifying them. There are some damn good rivalries out there that the casual US fan would never hear about because espn will never show it. You wont see an Oilers Flames game, or even a Devils Rangers game for christs sake. But hell we get to see all 4 Wings/Avs games, and what 3 Flyers Rangers games? And how many Penguins game cause of the love affair with Mario? Its not right, and doesnt exactly attract the non hockey fans to watch games when you see the same matchups each week. Hell i think at some point this season the Sharks were on espn 3 times in a week, who were they playing... The Wings, Avs and Stars i think. Gee great to see 3 of those big 6 in there.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#42 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:03 AM

[ I actually enjoyed the fact that TB couldn't get past the Jersey blue line in the third. It sort of reminded me of '95 when we didn't keep track of the opponents shots on goal, but on the number of minutes between their shots.

You said this. However, here's what you said in a different post:

QUOTE (westcoastdevfan @ Apr 30 2003, 10:02 PM)
I had to peek. I'm glad our team won. Sounds like it will be a fun game to watch! Now onto the nightcap. GO DUCKS!

Actually at times it was tough to watch. But I did!

Nothing else needs to be said.

Oh yes it does Derek I was referring to the fact as the game went on they were playing flawless defense, yet were only up by a goal. I knew that one slip and that game would have been tied. The Devils had a problem early getting out of the zone. I would be yelling at the TV for them to get the puck out. THAT'S WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO AS HARD TO WATCH!

Sorry Derek, why is it that whenever the Devils have success in the playoffs playing defense, all the fans of other teams who have not had as much success in the playoffs, always seem to come here and complain about the artistry of the Devils win???????? :angry:
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#43 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:23 PM

Why bother? He was obviously cranky and this kind of talk/type is intended to piss people off.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#44 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:24 PM

[quote name='brylin18' date='Apr 30 2003, 11:29 PM']derek, that's a nice essay you wrote. too bad i got bored in the middle of it and decided to skip it.

hey how about them rangers?

That's about what I'd expect from you. Always having to change the topic and bring up my team. Wow. Thanks for pointing out the OBVIOUS brylin. It doesn't even bother me because I'm so used to it from fans like yourself. If that's what makes you and your cheering section happy, then I guess you have nothing worthwhile to bring to the table in this discussion.

Rock wanted to know how come fans take shots at his team when they have playoff success. In case you forgot, the "original topic" was a Conspiracy Theory for why your team isn't given as much coverage as the "select few" they handpick on ESPN.

Do you know how that sounds :rolleyes: ?

As I pointed out earlier, it's not some dumb conspiracy against your team. Your team isn't the most entertaining to watch. Its organization is also very close-minded in how they operate. Everyone always asks why aren't there more features on Devil players?

The #1 answer is your general manager. The one who never wants any of his players to get a "Big Head."

His theory is that it must be TEAM oriented without any superstars except Brodeur. That's how the Devils are looked at. They hardly market themselves and hardly play a style that people are going to kiss their asses every two seconds.

Are they successful? Absolutely. It doesn't mean the general public is going to love how they play. They might respect them but it doesn't mean they have to like it.

So, why is a national broadcast that's biased in who they select for their games going to show off a team that doesn't want 19 of their 20 players promoted?

The two years they were exciting, you got a little more exposure (A Line, Gomez and Mogilny). The A Line was very popular. Unfortunately, they didn't last because one of them stopped playing to their capabilities.

Rock, I forgot to mention that Game Two was also pretty good. Two of the four games played in this series were fun to follow.

It's not just your team either. Dallas milked the clock against Anaheim the other night just to squeeze out a 2-1 win to get back in their series.

Not all lowscoring games are boring. The Dallas-New Jersey Game Five was one of the best OT games ever played. It was because the goalies had to be spectacular in it and there were plenty of glorious scoring chances.

If you have two teams going for it, it usually makes for a better game. That's the point.

Finally, why does it bother fans so much if their team isn't given as much respect as it deserves? Big deal if they aren't shown 15-20 times during the season. Your team is still having plenty of success. I would think if they win the Cup again, it would make it that much sweeter for fans here because of how little coverage they get from ESPN. It's the Bottom Line that counts.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:56 PM

When the Devils started getting big heads is when they ran into trouble. Arnott and Sykora got ran out of town for that very reason.

The only way a team like the Devils is going to get mentioned with the Stars, Wings, and Avalanche as the greatest teams of the last 10 years is by the way they have done it: refusing to market their players, keeping to a team system, and letting Lou's tyranny reign. They don't have the cash of those other teams (and I'm still surprised they spend what they do, but a presumed 3rd round berth should make up for that).

I do believe brylin's point was to illustrate that the Devils' philosophy is consistently better than the Rangers, who had that wonderful piece on I forget what, perhaps MSG Sportsdesk, where Sandy McCarthy, Darius Kasparaitis, Mike Dunham, and someone else were doing a modeling shoot. I mean, honestly, who needs that sort of crap?

Personally, I hate promoting the player over the team, in every sport. I know it's going to happen to Jeremy Shockey, if it hasn't already. I know it sells jerseys, but whatever, it's not a way to win games.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:01 PM

I do believe brylin's point was to illustrate that the Devils' philosophy is consistently better than the Rangers, who had that wonderful piece on I forget what, perhaps MSG Sportsdesk, where Sandy McCarthy, Darius Kasparaitis, Mike Dunham, and someone else were doing a modeling shoot. I mean, honestly, who needs that sort of crap?

Actually I think Dano and Gomez, possibly Pando (forgetting someone, getting this wrong?) did some shoots for a men's magazine but I don't know which one. Think Dano has done it twice. Modeling I wouldn't call it! :blink:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, I think Rolston did one too, but was there a fluff piece on television about it, to promote the team?

The piece was aired in March, right when the Rangers were falling out of the playoffs too.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:19 PM

Tri:

"I do believe brylin's point was to illustrate that the Devils' philosophy is consistently better than the Rangers, who had that wonderful piece on I forget what, perhaps MSG Sportsdesk, where Sandy McCarthy, Darius Kasparaitis, Mike Dunham, and someone else were doing a modeling shoot. I mean, honestly, who needs that sort of crap?"

I agree that it is a waste of time. Especially when the team isn't winning. You have two very different cultures though. One is in the center of a huge market while the other is in the shadows. That other one won't get as much publicity. Maybe it's easier for them because they don't have to deal with the kind of media distractions that the other one does. In New York, it's a media circus.

But realistically speaking, if the organization wasn't so disorganized in its approach to winning, would these off-ice things be that much of a distraction? If you set rules and make team priority, there might be a difference in the end results. That hasn't happened since the Evil Empire took over.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#49 brylin18

brylin18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

#50 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:43 PM

:o :puke: :huh: :kill: I think those smileys sum it up.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#51 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:43 PM

Oh DEAR GOD! Ugh, make it go away! :blink:

You could post one of Stevens for PK, might help her feel better! Which reminds me Stevens and Dano did some Gladiator type thing for ESPN as well.

Sorry, getting off topic here...
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#52 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:10 PM

Yuck :puke:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users