Photo

Possible Reason For Njdevils Blacklisting.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainScotty

CaptainScotty

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:00 PM

This has nothing to do with the playoffs, but I was just trying to reason why NJ gets screwed over so royally with the coverage of hockey on ESPN. We dont even get mentioned in the intermission report these days, very disheartening.

Well, as we all know, the NHL is sponsored by Southwest Airlines, and of course their ads are all over the place. We also know that the Devils play at Continental Airlines Arena, and they are sponsored by Continental. I'm willing to bet that the Devils signed some sort of deal saying their telecasts have to include at least X number of Continental ads, and, obviously, this clashes with the interests of the NHL.

It could also explain why we see so few game from the American Airlines Arena (is that Washington?) as well....

It sounds just like the kind of contract the Devils would sign... enough to keep the team afloat, but no further.

#2 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:05 PM

Conspiracy theory indeed, but I do believe the AA Arena is in Dallas, where one out of every two NHL broadcasts originates from.

I don't think the Devils don't get mentioned on intermission reports, I haven't seen this happen.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#3 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:06 PM

And isn't united airlines in Chicago?

#4 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:07 PM

theory squashed.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#5 goobergirl

goobergirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:08 PM

American Airlines CENTER is in Dallas and American Airlines ARENA is in Florida.

#6 CaptainScotty

CaptainScotty

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:11 PM

er, you can delete this post then, Im feeling pretty stupid.

But I thought I was onto something.

#7 GetReal

GetReal

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:12 PM

Captain Scott Stevens would be embarrassed with this thread.
NJ Devils are the CHAMPIONS & Nets Be Proud..Thanks to both NJ Teams for 2002/2003

"Bring Them On" sure George, your arrogant "my way or the highway" policies and remarks pissed the Iragi off more... 32 unnecessary US military deaths so far since G. W.'s remarks and dozens are wounded. It continues daily. Thanks Goerge. There are now 10-25 attacks against US soldiers daily.

Smart mouth, arrogant Bush, his kids are safe.

The BUCK never stops at BUSH if it's bad, he finds someone to take the blame for him, ie: Tenet's mea cupa.

Impeach G. W., the Iraq war was built on his lies...... lies........lies.

Do Not Re-Elect a Son of a Bush. Impeach him instead.

#8 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:14 PM

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with a conspiracy, ESPN simply hates everything about the Devils.

#9 goobergirl

goobergirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:15 PM

In Dallas there can not be any kind of advertisting from Southwest airlines inside the buliding. It was an agreement when AA got the naming rights to the buliding. My dad works for a certain airline coughswacough and I would love the arena here to be named Southwest Airlines Arena, but if it means paying all the money AA is paying forget it. But there's still alot of advertistments outside the arena and on tv. I don't think that nhl has a problem with this but who knows.

#10 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:21 PM

American Airlines tried like hell to keep SW from operating in Texas, that I know for sure. I'm not surprised if AA keeps their ads out of their named house.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#11 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:24 PM

Actually the arena in FL is the Office Depot center. Unless its changed again this year.

Whoops forgot that the heat play inthe triple A... American Airlines Arena, damn local slang.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#12 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:04 PM

Teams, like the devils who have basically no fans, are nightmares to the media. They have to broadcast the games on ESPN every so often as to not look totally biased, but quite simply the Devils are very bad for business. God have they even sold out one God damn playoff game, its the second round people thats extremely sad. Why would ESPN want to broadcast the games nationally if people from NJ dont even care. They had to have taken a rating hit on game 3 which was a national broadcast. If you were ESPN would you want to waste air time on games that noone, barring the few fans we have, care about.

And when they do eventaully grant us some pitty air time there not gonna do it with a happy face and it it there all.

Its there money, its there staition, its there choice.

If you dont like it do what i do mute the TV and turn on the trust radio.
Posted Image

#13 #1DevsFan

#1DevsFan

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:42 PM

:evil:

#14 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

what happened to that guy?
Posted Image

#15 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:51 PM

He tripped and fell of off njdevs.com.

#16 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:51 PM

Good hipcheck, DM!
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#17 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:54 PM

DM, you are the man.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#18 drew

drew

Albany Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:30 PM

Censorship ):
Posted Image

#19 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,843 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:34 PM

Is it really that hard to figure out?

It's not. I shut this game off because it was so boring. I don't enjoy watching teams play to hold on.

The Devils will probably win the Cup and not many people will care.

I know what people will say. "Derek, you'd gladly take more wins for your Rangers if they played better D and backchecked effectively."

I would be happier if they won more games but it wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch if their style was totally defensive. It would still be dull hockey.

I hope my team hires a tough coach who preaches attacking, aggressive hockey with hitting and solid D because that's the most exciting brand of hockey a team can play. Play to win.

Why should ESPN be excited about a team that takes the fun out of the game???

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#20 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:38 PM

Don't post then, Derek. We were waiting for this win and worrying about Stevens.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users