50 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

But if you view sports as entertainment - and I do - and fighting is entertaining to the people who support the sport then why are you going to ban it? It isn't like the fighting is a random act that players aren't expecting, it is part of the game. If you are arguing that fighting is violent and should be banned then why don't you start with banning boxing and UFC - there are plenty of other endevours you could rail against.

huh? first of all, no one is talking about banning anything. second, i don't think the general managers view the sport as entertainment, nor the players - it's ancillary to their concerns. if you asked the 30 GMs, if you could win the Cup playing an incredibly boring style, would you? i imagine at least 20 would say yes.

if this gets enacted, it is an attempt to destroy the culture where the fighters agree to fight just to fight. a culture which i think has arisen in the last ten years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Two guys squaring off immediately after the puck drops is really that big of a problem? Is it ruining the game somehow?

Honestly, maybe it's because I mostly watch the Devils, but I rarely ever see it as negatively impacting the game.

I just think that once they start legislating when two players, one-on-one, can and can't fight on the ice -- within the 60-minute regulation timeframe plus overtime -- then that will be the beginning of the end of fighting. They will only be encouraging the ban-fighting crowd to keep trying to take it a step further.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

the tsn article now has quotes, seems like they're talking in the way i was:

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...s=headlines_nhl

"Recently now it's gone to you hit Joe Schmoe and you've got to fight somebody," said Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. "We never worried about protecting Joe Schmoe before. I don't get that, that's one thing I never understood."

Added league disciplinarian Colin Campbell: "If it's staged, why are we doing it? If it's staged, let's do it between periods."

#44 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Crash, I hear your point but they already legislate when players can fight & how etc.

I won't be a smarty and provide links but the rules can be found easily.
Wide discretion is given to the refs to clamp down on anything that is not deemed to be part of "the game".

Evidently the GMs now feel that "immediately following the faceoff" is no longer part of the game.
This is in contrast to rule that already exists, so your point is well taken
But they can always make new rules, and it appears that they may do so in this regard.

[quote]47.10 Fighting Prior to the Drop of the Puck

#45 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

second, i don't think the general managers view the sport as entertainment, nor the players - it's ancillary to their concerns.

And I am sure actors view their craft as art not entertainment. That doesn't make it true.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#46 ALBDEVSFAN

ALBDEVSFAN

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

I maybe wrong but I think Buttman and Friends are using this to slowly weed out fighting to market skill. Butthole's vision of hockey is that in 5yrs it will be played like the allstar game. With addition to fighting the hitting restrictions are putting a chokehold on the overall physical side of hockey. No one likes to see your player get boarded but 50% of the time players turn thier head to get the 5minute major. 15 yrs ago boarding wasn't a problem because people wouldn't think of trying to draw a boarding call. Back to Butthead, I get sick to my stomach watching games (Devil's aren't immune) that are like a intersquad scrimmage were there's virtually no hitting. I love fighting but It's not the only reason I love hockey. Call me a neanderthal or whatever, I would probably agree with you lol but I love watching players that shut their mouth and do everyting their team asks them to do. I enjoy watching players like David Clarkson and Janssen because they are fearless on the ice and I have allot of respect for those players. I get more excited seeing a goal like when clarkie ran over toskala, A defenseman, dislodged the net and scored the goal because he puts so much effort into that goal rather than a nice deke. 1 More thing get rid of the fvcking instigator. Thats half the problem with dirty hits. It protects Avery, Rutuu, and hollweg and those players make me sick. PLEASE bring back physical hockey I know so many people who can't stand post lockout hockey bring back the old NHL and your revenue will skyrocket.
"I'm not throwing pillows, I'm trying to knock the dude's head off. I'm trying to get it through his head that if he fights me, he's going to get hurt. I don't want guys to like to fight me or look forward to fighting me. I want them to be scared sh!tless in the other locker room before the game even starts" - Scott Parker

#47 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

And I am sure actors view their craft as art not entertainment. That doesn't make it true.

Oh my arse - acting is entertainment -- ART is entertainment or else it's BAD art! Even if it evokes negative emotion it's still entertaining - like officer farva's posts which actually I have on ignore because I dont find him remotely amusing actually... but some do.

(PS I know we're agreeing here - I just had to go and say the same thing being an actress and all! formerly... and you know, I DID get yelled at for dropping out... I guess maybe I shouldln't be so hard on Sutter... <_< a$$#Q^(&*&*)^*#&*^&*#^& )

Edited by Pepperkorn, 11 March 2009 - 12:43 PM.

I'm here for the party

#48 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

The NHL should send out official surveys to its season ticket holders, or have one you can fill out online. Ask what the consumers want to do about fighting.

I 100% agree.

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

the point is that sideshow fighting encourages needless violence. the pro-fighting crowd always gets up on its soapbox - 'well, what about when your star player gets run, what do you do then?' 'i guess you have to fight him. but what about 5 minutes into the game, no one's done anything to anybody?' 'oh that's just to get the crowd into the game'. for the old-school GMs, perhaps they've decided enough is enough. to me, this isn't the ban-fighting crowd talking, it's actually the super old-school crowd talking that wants the fights to be about something, not just because two guys have to earn a paycheck somehow.

That's an interesting take on it. Hadn't thought of that view. The way I look at it, and I think the way alot of fans look at it, is this is one more step towards banning fighting. It's clear that a lot of bigwigs want the NHL to be high-scoring and pretty, and fighting doesn't really fit into that.

But is the fighting right after the faceoff really a big recent problem? There is an average of less than a fight per game right now, as opposed to the late 80's, when it was more than double that. I know fighting is back on the rise, but it still is nowhere near the level it was before the Devils single handedly ruined hockey when the were the first team to ever ever use the trap ever.

Would 2 fights a game be acceptable if they occured during game play, and therefore were not 'planned'? I'm just confused at where the GM's are coming from.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

That's an interesting take on it. Hadn't thought of that view. The way I look at it, and I think the way alot of fans look at it, is this is one more step towards banning fighting. It's clear that a lot of bigwigs want the NHL to be high-scoring and pretty, and fighting doesn't really fit into that.

But is the fighting right after the faceoff really a big recent problem? There is an average of less than a fight per game right now, as opposed to the late 80's, when it was more than double that. I know fighting is back on the rise, but it still is nowhere near the level it was before the Devils single handedly ruined hockey when the were the first team to ever ever use the trap ever.

If you read the TSN article on it, that's their take on the whole thing; fights after a faceoff are a true sideshow, in the GMs eyes. The reason why fighting is legal in hockey is ostensibly because it serves a purpose, it's not to entertain the fans. in fact, that's precisely why it was legal in the Ontario Senior League where that player died as the result of a fight.

Would 2 fights a game be acceptable if they occured during game play, and therefore were not 'planned'? I'm just confused at where the GM's are coming from.

sure, but that's never going to happen. there's more european players who don't or rarely fight, and there's other skill players who won't fight because their team doesn't want to lose them for 5 minutes. throw in the number of guys with visors who shouldn't be fighting - there's most of the league right there. as opposed to the 80s when the range of player heights and weights was much smaller than it is now, cheap shots behind the play were much more prevalent, there's no instigator penalty, few visors, and bench-clearing brawls were still 'legal'.

#51 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

I just think fights are better when it's for a reason. When 2 goons square up after a faceoff it's pretty lame.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users