157 replies to this topic

#141 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,279 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

What an absolutely fantastic night. My hat's off to the Montreal fans too- very classy of them to give Marty a standing ovation. I cannot wait for Tuesday. Very glad I bought my tickets last week. :boogie:
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#142 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

MARTY MARTY

i had tears in my eyes what a night

Posted Image

#143 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

Great game. Solid play by Marty. Typically calm. I was glued to my seat all night. Enough tension for alot of reasons to make it exciting.
Hats off to the Habs fans.

1. The post game with Marty was hilarious. (Marty referring to having pictures of Roy on his wall - well at least when he was a kid- he doesnt like him *that* much now)

2. I, um, actually felt chills go down my back seeing Marty acknowledge the crowd.

3. Holik has been playing pretty well the last few games I think.

4. Elias had his eyes closed and appeared to getting himself psyched up on the bench during the 3rd period. Haven't seen that before.

5. Is Havelid playing well? I can't seem to tell.

6. Don Cherry had some good stuff on Marty in between periods.

Can't wait for the next game!
It's the whiskey talking.

#144 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Great game. Solid play by Marty. Typically calm. I was glued to my seat all night. Enough tension for alot of reasons to make it exciting.
Hats off to the Habs fans.

1. The post game with Marty was hilarious. (Marty referring to having pictures of Roy on his wall - well at least when he was a kid- he doesnt like him *that* much now) I missed it, hopefully MSG has it on their site.

3. Holik has been playing pretty well the last few games I think. Agreed; he seems to be playing with a peskier edge and hes not taking stupid penalties.

5. Is Havelid playing well? I can't seem to tell. Hes not doing anything wrong.. so.. hes fine

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#145 mikeford

mikeford

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

All Havelid has to do is not suck as bad as Andy Greene and its an upgrade.

#146 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

All Havelid has to do is not suck as bad as Andy Greene and its an upgrade.

Well were in good shape then, all Havelid has to do is get on the ice, that's the upgrade right there :koolaid:

#147 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

I'm of the opinion that Marty Brodeur is the superior player to Patrick Roy for one reason: he never forced his team to trade him because he had a bad game. He kept his team competitive year in and year out as the steady rock of a player he is, not forcing the Canadiens to trade him to the Avalanche because the coach left him in after a five goal first period. To me, that was the mark of a player giving up on a team because it wasn't an elite team anymore in his estimation. He got traded to a team that had an elite lineup lacking only a goalie. He retired because the Avalanche were starting to rebuild. He picked and chose his spots because he felt that was his right as an elite superstar, but I just feel that Marty's ability to FORCE any team he played on into the elite is the mark of a truly elite player.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#148 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

I can't wait for tuesday. Hopefully it's a night to remember forever.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#149 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

MARTY!!!! MARTY!!!

#150 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

Well were in good shape then, all Havelid has to do is get on the ice, that's the upgrade right there :koolaid:

Havelid has been pretty good defensively, and has 2 PP assists in only 4 games. Not only is he a defensive upgrade over Greene, he's also better on the PP.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#151 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

I agree that Havelid is an upgrade from Greene

Edited by brodeur14301991, 15 March 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#152 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Congratulations Mary! # 551
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#153 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

From this Sabres fan, wanted to say congrats to Marty for #551, Tuesday will be a special night for a lot of you and I hope he breaks the record in New Jersey!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#154 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I'm of the opinion that Marty Brodeur is the superior player to Patrick Roy for one reason: he never forced his team to trade him because he had a bad game. He kept his team competitive year in and year out as the steady rock of a player he is, not forcing the Canadiens to trade him to the Avalanche because the coach left him in after a five goal first period.

That makes him a better human being (and teammate), not a better individual player.

Someone put it well the other day, there are a number of arguments you could make either way. I know the Roy backers will use the one game argument but it's not about who's better over one game, it's over an entire career. And Marty's longevity and puckhandling ability are two things that rarely get discussed in that context but they factor in as well. Maybe Marty didn't have as many spectacular playoff moments as Roy, but he didn't need to. He simply did what was needed to win games.

And people say Marty never took mediocre teams to the Cup like Roy which is a fallacy, those Montreal teams that won the Cup weren't mediocre. Overachieving perhaps (and in both '86 and '93 they didn't have to play the best team that season)...if anything Marty dragged mediocre teams to the playoffs the last year or two.

Edited by NJDevs26, 15 March 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#155 njnative11

njnative11

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Congrats Marty,
sorry this is so late, I'm a tad bit hungover from celebrations last night.

Posted Image

New Jersey Native...Born and Raised in Red Bank, New Jersey

#156 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,098 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm of the opinion that Marty Brodeur is the superior player to Patrick Roy for one reason: he never forced his team to trade him because he had a bad game. He kept his team competitive year in and year out as the steady rock of a player he is, not forcing the Canadiens to trade him to the Avalanche because the coach left him in after a five goal first period. To me, that was the mark of a player giving up on a team because it wasn't an elite team anymore in his estimation. He got traded to a team that had an elite lineup lacking only a goalie. He retired because the Avalanche were starting to rebuild. He picked and chose his spots because he felt that was his right as an elite superstar, but I just feel that Marty's ability to FORCE any team he played on into the elite is the mark of a truly elite player.

I didn't want to turn a thread celebrating Brodeur's record tying victory into an argument about Roy, but what the heck...

Roy had a right to do what he did. Mario Tremblay was a rookie head coach in the opening months of his career. Even before getting his job with the Canadiens, Tremblay and Roy hated each other. Tremblay was known for taking shots at Roy in the Montreal media for quite a while before he was hired as a coach. During the first few months, they had a very rocky relationship. During an early year practice, it was reported that Tremblay shot a puck at Roy's throat which led to blows.

During that famous night at the Forum. Tremblay was trying to embarrass a man he hated. He should have pulled him after the first when he let in 5 goals. He should have pulled him after the 6th goal, or maybe the 7th, or the 8th. And I might be wrong, but I don't think he pulled him initially after the 9th goal. Roy had enough and rightfully so. He was a hero in Montreal and was made to look like a fool in front of his home fans after everything he had done for the franchise.

Can you imagine what Brodeur would do if the Devils hired someone that he already despised? Someone who Brodeur played with as a rookie and gave him a rough time when he started out in the league because he could barely speak English? Someone who was fighting with him in practice, and finally let Brodeur look like a fool in front of his own crowd. I bet Brodeur would demand a trade as well.

And he retired because the Avalanche were rebuilding? That is nonsense. The Avalanche were a top team in 2003. They still had a stacked lineup (Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Morris, Blake, Foote, de Vries) The team added Kariya and Selanne in the off-season but for whatever reason, turned out to be a mess. The Avs probably had another Cup run in them if Roy was still there in 2004 or 2005.

Edited by devilsrule33, 15 March 2009 - 02:16 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#157 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

I missed the game last night :ph34r: But it sure sounded like a hell of a game. Congrats to Marty on tieing the record... it will be all to himself very soon. I can't believe how great he is... very glad he is a New Jersey Devil for all these years. :evil:

#158 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

I had a random thought I wanted to share...

When was the last time the Devils lost a hard fought game? By that I mean that both teams bring it and are on top of their game and the Devils just get out-dueled? It seems like when they lose it is because they get blown out or are sleepwalking through the game...

Makes me positive that this team can beat anyone in a 7 game series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users