45 replies to this topic

#1 koolkoreankid23

koolkoreankid23

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

List your top 5 greatest d-men of all-time. Number 1 is pretty obvious.

My list has changed like 20 times already. But here's my latest.
1. Bobby Orr
2. Paul Coffey
3. Ray Bourque
4. Denis Potvin
5. Larry Robinson

#2 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Paul Coffey?? :blink:

Shouldn't you be able to PLAY defense to qualify on this list???
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#3 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

My list:

1. Bobby Orr

2. Doug Harvey

3. Larry Robinson

4. Eddie Shore

5. Red Kelly

#4 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

in my universe, these are my picks;

1. Bobby Orr
2. Larry Robinson
3. Brian Leetch
4. Niklas Lidstrom
5. Scott Stevens

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#5 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:21 AM

Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Eddie Shore
Denis Potvin
Raymond Bourque
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

in my universe, these are my picks;

1. Bobby Orr
2. Larry Robinson
3. Brian Leetch
4. Niklas Lidstrom
5. Scott Stevens

I'd have to say I don't think Leetch and Stevens belong there.

Stevens was a great leader and special to us... but he didn't have all the ability to be a versatile defenseman all-around.

Leetch was a Ranger. He was good in 1994. The only reason people think he is great is because we constantly see him in random pointless ceremonies.

Not saying you're wrong... I'm probably the only person that is going to put Red Kelly on a list haha.

#7 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

Brian Leetch??? LOL
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#8 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

1. Orr
2. Stevens
3. Robinson
4. Shore
5. Potvin
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#9 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

I'd have to say I don't think Leetch and Stevens belong there.

Stevens was a great leader and special to us... but he didn't have all the ability to be a versatile defenseman all-around.

Are you kidding me???

He is the most versatile defenseman on anyone's list. Before coming to NJ he average 60 points a season and averaged 150 PIM's. He was asked to adjust his game and he followed direction to perfection in NJ.

NONE of the other defenseman on these lists could do EVERYTHING. Orr wasn't gonna drop the gloves, Coffee and Leetch could not play defense.
Stevens excelled at both ends of the ice and was old time hockey if someone messed with his teammates.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#10 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

The only thing Stevens didn't do was offense and rightfully so. Stevens is the #1 defenseman in my book of all time although I am probably a little partial because he was a devil. I just have never seen someone play the posistion so fluidly. Its like he was born with skates as feet I mean he was THAT good

#11 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

Stevens should be there no doubt, and in fact they should split the yearly defensive awards (I've said this before) into best offensive-defenseman (Norris) and best defensive-defenseman (Stevens)
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#12 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Are you kidding me???

He is the most versatile defenseman on anyone's list. Before coming to NJ he average 60 points a season and averaged 150 PIM's. He was asked to adjust his game and he followed direction to perfection in NJ.

NONE of the other defenseman on these lists could do EVERYTHING. Orr wasn't gonna drop the gloves, Coffee and Leetch could not play defense.
Stevens excelled at both ends of the ice and was old time hockey if someone messed with his teammates.

If they split up the awards then fine, Stevens is one of the best defensive D-men to ever play the game. But as far as this criteria goes, I can think of at least 5 D-men that I would want on my team to control the D-zone and then lead a rush and create offense.

I understand Scotty may have accomplished that a certain times but it wasn't the bulk of his career.

#13 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

The only thing Stevens didn't do was offense and rightfully so.

Not sure where your getting your info to make such a statement.

Stevens was one of the top scoring defensemen in the league prior to adjusting his game for Lemaire.

Even his first three years here he averaged 60 points and almost had 80 in his third year here.

If they split up the awards then fine, Stevens is one of the best defensive D-men to ever play the game. But as far as this criteria goes, I can think of at least 5 D-men that I would want on my team to control the D-zone and then lead a rush and create offense.

I understand Scotty may have accomplished that a certain times but it wasn't the bulk of his career.

the bulk of his career he was among the top scoring defensemen in the game.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#14 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

I feel like Nieds should be somewhere near the top 5 if not on it.

#15 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

He was actually pretty formidable offensively for over half his career:

http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=5180

Also keep in mind that Jacques Lemaire asked Stevens to change his role, despite Stevens coming off the most prolific offensive season of his career. It's testament to Stevens that he did so without hesitation, but had he not been so unselfish he might have cracked 1000 points. (He finished with 908).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#16 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

the bulk of his career he was among the top scoring defensemen in the game.

I have a hard time ranking him in the top 5 when he hit 78 points in 94 and then didn't crack 31 since.

I'm not going to disagree that he wasn't great. I love the guy and I'm grateful for everything he's done for us. I just don't think he belongs on a top 5.

#17 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

I have a hard time ranking him in the top 5 when he hit 78 points in 94 and then didn't crack 31 since.

I'm not going to disagree that he wasn't great. I love the guy and I'm grateful for everything he's done for us. I just don't think he belongs on a top 5.

As to the drop off in points...see above.

I think part of the problem here is that you're also not old enough to remember his days when he was more of an offensive force. You really only got to see Stevens 2.0.

As for whether he's a top 5 all-time defenseman I think it's debatable.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#18 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Anything's debatable when you're trying to pick just five guys from at least 50 years of hockey. If you pick a guy you never saw, you can only go by what you've read or what Stan Fischler said.

#19 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

As to the drop off in points...see above.

I think part of the problem here is that you're also not old enough to remember his days when he was more of an offensive force. You really only got to see Stevens 2.0.

I think you're correct on most of your points.

I'm 21 years old and my first real memory of Stevens is laying out Kozlov in the 95 finals.

But I try to be somewhat of a historian of the game and have seen a lot of Orr, Robinson, Shore, Red Kelly, and others...

I think maybe my knowledge is skewed because the Caps and Blues teams that Stevens was a part of weren't cup winners that get a lot of press down the road.

#20 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

By this standard you have to take Robinson out of this class as well as he went from 82 to 50 down to averaging 30 points a year until he retired. And almost everyone.

As Colorado Rockies and others have stated Stevens adjusted his offensive game at the request of his coach.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users