3131 replies to this topic

#2961 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

I say, not that it matters or anything, DO IT! Farm system sucks anyway, plus we can make up for some of what we lose with the early pick too. If I ever see another Mets season where halfway through our 2nd best pitcher is FERNANDO NIEVE I might explode. You get the Halladay/Santana your the talk of the town and give your damn fans something to believe in. Any chance Putz comes back? I know they turned down his monster option, as they should, but we still need bullpen help and could probably get him cheap.

#2962 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

You get the Halladay/Santana your the talk of the town and give your damn fans something to believe in.

That would be nice.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#2963 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

the Mets farm system is middle of the pack FTR.

They'll sign Wolf who will pitch well at Citi Field. (though I would rather see them trade for Halladay and sign a guy like Brad Penny or Rich Harden to a 1-year deal)
They'll sign Holliday and he'll underachieve.
they'll sign Bengie Molina which is ok (i'm just relieved Schneider is gone).

I'm praying they work out a deal to get rid of Castillo so we can finally sign Orlando Hudson.

I wonder if Mike Sweeney could be our guy to platoon at 1B with Murphy though I'm not sure how much he's played first the past couple years.

#2964 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Among Other Things, Dodgers Interested in Castillo

Would you entertain this as a sell-high move? Or would you rather have Castillo?
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#2965 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

Would you entertain this as a sell-high move? Or would you rather have Castillo?

get what you can for him now and go sign somebody like the O Dog or Figgins to play second. Castillo's overpaid and overrated, not a good combination
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#2966 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

I heard the Cubs were also interested. I'm not sure why the Dodgers would be interested considering their ownership issues. Anyway, if they are willing to take his entire contract - do it. I wouldn't go crazy with Hudson though, something funky like a 1 year deal with recurring options through 2012 sounds pretty good. Or if you don't want to work it that way, then the max amount of guaranteed years I would give him is 2.

Dh26 - Figgins doesn't fit, his best value is at 3B where hes an excellent fielder. Hes been below average at 2B defensively when hes played there. Yes I think hes a good player, but hes looking for a 4-5 year commitment that pays him $8-10M per year -- no thanks, especially when he won't be playing his best position. I know the Mets have been linked to him, but I believe that is just to drive up his price for the Phillies.

Edited by nmigliore, 12 November 2009 - 03:00 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#2967 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Dh26 - Figgins doesn't fit, his best value is at 3B where hes an excellent fielder. Hes been below average at 2B defensively when hes played there. Yes I think hes a good player, but hes looking for a 4-5 year commitment that pays him $8-10M per year -- no thanks, especially when he won't be playing his best position. I know the Mets have been linked to him, but I believe that is just to drive up his price for the Phillies.

yeah that was the only reason I brought it up, because the mets were tied to him, but I'd still go after Hudson and trade Castillo

#2968 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

I'm for any move that gets Castillo off the team. I don't care what he hit last year...this team needs an identity shake-up, and Castillo in a Met uniform just doesn't scream "winner" to me.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#2969 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

I'm for any move that gets Castillo off the team. I don't care what he hit last year...this team needs an identity shake-up, and Castillo in a Met uniform just doesn't scream "winner" to me.

If it requires eating a good chunk of his remaining salary, its not worth, considering all the other holes to fill.

If another team is willing to take on most or all of it, I have no problem with it. The 2B market is fairly strong though (Polanco, Hudson, Lopez coming off a huge year, Uggla is available on the trade market), which leads me to believe - why would any team WANT to trade for an overpaid Castillo?

Edited by nmigliore, 13 November 2009 - 12:45 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#2970 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Castillo did a decent enough job last year to show he can be a cog in a winning team. He has before. Scrappy hitter, works long AB's and draws walks, won't strike out much, can steal a base. Out pressing concerns right now is a #2 and left field. I agree with nmigliore, these Figgins rumors are just to drive the cost up for Philly...we don't have space for him here.

Lackey has been the more consistent starter, younger, had some injury issues but overall has very good numbers pitching in the AL. Wolf is coming off a better year overall. Has been somewhat up and down over the course of his career. Held his own pitching in that joke of a ballpark in Philly and then bounced around a bit. Could conceivably give you just as good a season while still leaving you enough $$$ to pursue that big left fielder

If we get Holliday...it's going to be Wolf, Sheets or Doug Davis. If we get Lackey it might be Marlon Byrd or we just go with an in house platoon solution again.

this is also a situation the Mets need to monitor.

http://www.mlbdailyd...ts-out-of-tampa

I hope Delgado gets resigned but Molina at C scares me. He's pretty old and might be close to that time where a catcher just falls apart. It doesn't look pretty. I'd look at Josh Bard, though he isn't exactly young either he has far less wear and tear than Molina.

Edited by '7', 14 November 2009 - 02:37 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#2971 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Lackey has been the more consistent starter, younger, had some injury issues but overall has very good numbers pitching in the AL. Wolf is coming off a better year overall. Has been somewhat up and down over the course of his career. Held his own pitching in that joke of a ballpark in Philly and then bounced around a bit. Could conceivably give you just as good a season while still leaving you enough $$$ to pursue that big left fielder

If we get Holliday...it's going to be Wolf, Sheets or Doug Davis. If we get Lackey it might be Marlon Byrd or we just go with an in house platoon solution again.

this is also a situation the Mets need to monitor.

http://www.mlbdailyd...ts-out-of-tampa

I would like to see them sign Harden or Sheets AND bring in Randy Wolf too. I'd be satisfied with the rotation then:

Santana
Harden/Sheets
Wolf
Pelfrey
Maine/Perez/Niese

They should also monitor the market for Erik Bedard.

re: Crawford - Don't want. I love him as a player and all, but hes going to cost top prospects. Why bother trading for him when Matt Holliday is on the market?

re: catcher - My first choice is looking through the trade market - Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Doumit, etc .. if nothing pops up, go with Gregg Zaun.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 November 2009 - 02:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#2972 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

I wonder if Pittsburgh would do Doumit for Murphy straight up?

And where does Murphy fit with this team in the future? 1st is locked up, 3rd is locked up. LF is about to be locked up and the Mets would never want to revisit that disaster anyway.

Maybe they still have plans to convert him to 2nd and stick it out with Castillo through 2010. Luis would be easier to move next offseason.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#2973 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

I wonder if Pittsburgh would do Doumit for Murphy straight up?

That would provide salary relief for the Pirates, but I think it would require a little more than Murphy, especially considering Doumit is only 1 year removed from an excellent offensive season. Kelly Shoppach could be non-tendered though, and the Mets should go after him if he is.

And where does Murphy fit with this team in the future? 1st is locked up, 3rd is locked up. LF is about to be locked up and the Mets would never want to revisit that disaster anyway.

Maybe they still have plans to convert him to 2nd and stick it out with Castillo through 2010. Luis would be easier to move next offseason.

Well he'll probably be a part-time 1B this year along with a right-handed platoon mate, assuming the Mets stick to that plan. After that... he really doesn't fit anywhere, besides on the bench as a utility player. Reese Havens is probably the 2B of the future, so if they let Murphy play some games at 2B in spring or something it will just be for practice at that position. I don't know yet if Murphy is an everyday regular; you can't possibly make that assessment based off 1 year especially with a guy who skipped AAA entirely, but a future regular as a Met? I highly doubt it.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 November 2009 - 09:00 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#2974 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'm surprised nobody posted about this yet - Wally Backman was hired to be the manager of Brooklyn Cyclones.

Brooklyn, NY (AHN) - Former New York Mets second baseman Wally Backman is back with the team as a minor league manager. Backman will manager the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Major league players like Carlos Quentin, Conor Jackson, Aaron Rowand, and Dan Uggla have been impacted by Backman's work in the minors.

Players have raved about how he is one of the few managers that knows how to maximize a solid working relationship in the clubhouse and maximize talents on the field. He's a player's coach.

http://www.allheadli...cles/7017019206

Hmm.... I wonder if we will one day see Backman managing the Mets.

edit, 4:55pm: Some other coaching news - Just read that Sandy Alomar Jr bolted for Cleveland to take their 1B coach job .. Tim Teufel was promoted to manage the Binghamton Mets (Double A team).

Edited by nmigliore, 17 November 2009 - 05:01 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#2975 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hmm.... I wonder if we will one day see Backman managing the Mets.

It'll probably take him awhile to prove that he's on the straight and narrow after his debacle in Arizona, but he did have a great rep as a minor league mgr for developing players so there's always a shot

#2976 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

It'll probably take him awhile to prove that he's on the straight and narrow after his debacle in Arizona, but he did have a great rep as a minor league mgr for developing players so there's always a shot

you mean Arizona's debacle. They're the ones who didn't do the proper background check/ask all the questions before hiring him. Backman never lied or tried to deceive Arizona in any way. Plus that was like 5 years ago (and the incidents were 10 years ago), the guy more than deserves a shot imo.
I heard him on Francessa yesterday and he kept hammering the fact that he will "teach the kids how to play the game the right way"

I hope Reyes has to spend a week in Brooklyn at some point this season rehabbing cause he could really use a lesson or two

#2977 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

I think Reyes is fine. People get too worked up over his excitement for the game and they take it the wrong way. If you try and take away Reyes' way he plays the game it might not work out too well.

Though if you are strictly talking about the little things like trying to take the extra base when its not needed, routine groundballs booted, etc, I can somewhat understand, although those type of things always happen in baseball, no player is going to be perfect.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#2978 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Looks like the Mets are granting CR's wish to make Citi Field more Mets-like. Dave Howard actually hinted about these changes during the interview with Francesca a month ago.

The New York Mets today announced plans to expand the presence of club history at Citi Field next season in a variety of ways including renaming areas of the ballpark after Casey Stengel, Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver and William A. Shea.

The Mets also have re-formed the Mets Hall of Fame Committee, and will increase the number of visuals commemorating great players and moments both inside and outside the ballpark. The Mets previously announced a 2010 opening of the Mets Hall of Fame & Museum at Citi Field.

Full Article: http://www.nydailyne.../#ixzz0XXQ6GZRC

Anyway, that's really great news. The Mets' HoF and Museum sounds like its going to be really cool.

Edited by nmigliore, 21 November 2009 - 06:07 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#2979 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Looks like the Mets are granting CR's wish to make Citi Field more Mets-like. Dave Howard actually hinted about these changes during the interview with Francesca a month ago.

Full Article: http://www.nydailyne.../#ixzz0XXQ6GZRC

Anyway, that's really great news. The Mets' HoF and Museum sounds like its going to be really cool.

Good news, in that this absolutely needed to be done.

Frustrating, in that the Wilpons aren't capable of figuring this stuff out for themselves. It takes them falling flat on their clueless faces first. It shouldn't have taken a full season for them to realize that, yeah, Met fans want to see a ballpark that prominently displays and honors Met history. This was obvious to everyone except the Wilpons and whoever advises them.

But what matters most is that they're actually SOLVING THE PROBLEM. In Wilponland that's a massive step forward.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#2980 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

The team set their 40-man roster for the Rule V draft and they have 4 spots open. Unfortunately they decided to keep the useless Arturo Lopez on the 40-man yet they let Adam Bostick (LH reliever), who had a nice year in AAA, walk since he was a minor league free agent. I just don't understand that logic. Lopez is NOT better than Bostick, and I still wonder why they never even gave Bostick a look in September. I know he was never on the 40-man but they could have easily removed Lopez or some other useless body.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users