3131 replies to this topic

#1781 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Pedro's done...I read he worked out for a bunch of teams and they all walked away unimpressed.

Yeah, you could tell he was finished last year.. the effort was nice, but, he just didn't have it anymore (rarely touched 90's with his fastball).. I also remember him having loads of trouble getting warmed up and therefore resulting in early game struggles.. rarely went deep into games anymore..

But apparently everyone thinks because he throws 6 shutout innings in a WBC (a few of those innings vs Netherlands lol) he would be a great pickup.. I think he would be a solid pickup for a non-contending team with a young rotation.. maybe he can serve as a back of the rotation starter/mentor to them.. but supposedly he wants to place for a contending team
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1782 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

I don't think pedro is the answer.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#1783 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

4 games vs the Cards up next.. 3/4 is asking too much, ill settle for a split if we can .. especially with the way this man is swinging the bat.... God, what a monster.

1st game -- Redding vs Wellemyer : winnable
2nd game -- Livan vs Piniero : iirc, livan got rocked pretty hard @ st louis a couple months ago.. piniero shut us down .. bad matchup
3rd game -- Nieve vs Thompson : dont know anything about thompson .. yet another difficult team for nieve to face.. this is a toss up
4th game -- Santana vs Carpenter : toss up as well.. carpenter has been great for st louis this year.. santana had a great game yesterday.. its tough to see the mets winning this though since the lineup probably wont do much vs carpenter, unless beltran/sheff/wright can manage to carry the load.

win that 1st game and you set yourself up in an excellent situation to at least get a split in the series.

Edited by nmigliore, 21 June 2009 - 10:49 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1784 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

nmigliore.. If the Mets sweep the Cards I'll mail you a Peter Sykora autographed picture from the 2000 SCC... Steiner Sports authenticated too..

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#1785 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

1B Ike Davis has been promoted to AA Binghamton. Davis leaves the FSL a .290/.378/.489 hitter after 58 games and 221 AB. Davis was leading the FSL with 27 extra base hits. He’s hit well all season, but was on a tear in June, hitting .319/.418/.638 in 13 games with four of his seven professional homers.

Good news.. last year was a very disappointing debut for the Mets' 1st round pick Ike Davis, but hes turned it around this year in the FSL and has earned a promotion to AA-Binghamton.. Davis is a 1B, so power is necessary, and last year in Brooklyn (low A) he hit for a dismal .326 slugging%. This year however, for St Lucie (high A) hes hit for a .489 slugging% (excellent month of June he had too - .319/.418/.638)

In other minor league news.. Mets released Javier Valentin, Wily Mo Pena, and Bobby Kielty.. Reese Havens was activated from the DL, he hasn't hit for average in the FSL but has shown very nice power.. Im curious if the Mets decide to promote 1B/OF Lucas Duda to AAA, who hits for avg/obp but barely any power (basically -- Daniel Murphy 2.0)

edit, per Adam Rubin:

"Breaking news: Carlos Beltran may be headed to the disabled list with an ailing right knee. That would allow the Mets to return Fernando Martinez to the majors despite spending less than 10 days with Buffalo.

UPDATE: The Daily News has learned that lefthanded reliever Pat Misch and outfielder Fernando Martinez are headed to the Mets, replacing Ken Takahashi and, seemingly, Carlos Beltran. Beltran must be headed to the DL or Martinez could not return so soon.
Two sources told the Daily News that Elmer Dessens was supposed to be called up, in place of Nick Evans, but the Mets may have backed off the move."

http://www.nydailyne...ixzz0JBweSYPd

Um.. yeah.... this is horrible news. I really cannot see the Mets staying afloat in any playoff race anymore... oh well, at least we get to see more FMart

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 03:17 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1786 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Oh joy...rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If Beltran's out for more than two weeks (or even that) just wave the white flag now.

Can't wait to see the lineup the next two weeks - Castillo, Cora, Wright, Sheffield (till he goes on the DL), Church, Schnieder/Santos, Murphy/Tatis, F-Mart...yeech.

Edited by Hasan4978, 22 June 2009 - 03:18 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1787 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

Oh joy...rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If Beltran's out for more than two weeks (or even that) just wave the white flag now.

Can't wait to see the lineup the next two weeks - Castillo, Cora, Wright, Sheffield (till he goes on the DL), Church, Schnieder/Santos, Murphy/Tatis, F-Mart...yeech.

my guess -

Cora SS
Murphy 1B
FMart CF
Wright 3B
Sheffield LF
Church RF
Schneider C
Castillo 2B
(Pitcher)

or.. put Castillo in the 2-hole and Murphy in the 3-hole with FMart near the bottom..

edit, tonight's lineup per kevin burkhardt: cora ss, murphy 1b, wright 3b, tatis lf, church rf, santos c, reed cf, castillo 2b

edit 2: according to ed coleman of wfan, pat misch AND elmer dessens will be promoted and not FMart.

edit 3, now OFFICIAL per metsblog: "Omar Minaya said Beltran will be put on disabled list with a bone bruise on his right knee.
The Mets will recall Fernando Martinez, Elmmer Dessens and Misch, while Takahashi has been optioned to Triple A and Wilson Valdez has been designated for assignment."

I guess they figured they rarely used Valdez, so if they ever needed to give Cora or Castillo a day off, they could go to Tatis? Should be interesting to see Dessens and Misch pitch.. Dessens was very good out of the AAA bullpen but has not done well in June, so this is the worst time to call him up IMO.. Im really suprised Kunz didn't get the call.. by the way, with the 'core' pretty much all gone, this is a nice time for David Wright to make a statement.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 03:56 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1788 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Back from Hilton Head (South Carolina, for those unfamiliar) after a whole lot of driving.

The week pretty much went as I expected it to. I don't care about them miraculously finding themselves two games out of first...it's fool's gold, and the Phillies are the kind of team that can play mediocre ball for long stretches, only to rise up and win the important games. This Mets team has pretty much done zilch, and they're now dreadfully shorthanded to boot. I can't expect Omar to plug this many holes, and even if Omar was a great GM (he is only in his own mind), asking him to replace three everyday stars and two starting pitchers is asking far too much.

I had the white flag rising up the pole, but consider it fully raised with Beltran's trip to the DL. I consider the Omar Minaya Era to have gone sour enough to send him packing come season's end.

I'll still watch, but with Castillo's fly ball drop my emotions with this team are spent. Just the fact that that a$$hole is still wearing blue and orange is blasphemous to me. I just hope Fernando Martinez gets as many ABs as possible and shows something.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1789 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

nmigliore.. If the Mets sweep the Cards I'll mail you a Peter Sykora autographed picture from the 2000 SCC... Steiner Sports authenticated too..

nmigliore... no comment on my offer?

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#1790 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

nmigliore... no comment on my offer?

lol yeah ill take it... sadly the Nats probably have a better chance of sweeping the cards than do the Mets right now.

News: John Maine pitched in a rehab game for St Lucie (high A ball) .. 4 innings, 2 hits, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K .. Oliver Perez is starting the 2nd game of St. Lucie's doubleheader, you can follow the live boxscore of that here.

Wow Church just missed a grand slam... screw Citi Field.. and then Tatis gets caught in a run down... so we score 2 runs but yet Im still pissed that ball didnt leave the yard and we run ourselves out of an inning AGAIN. Ugh, only the Mets...

edit: 2nd inning -- wow that was clearly ball 4 to Reed... that wasn't even a letter high strike, try a neck high strike :lol:

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 06:37 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1791 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Tatis is really climbing my sh!t list with all these double plays.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1792 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

Oliver Perez's final line for St Lucie (high A ball.. which is mostly filled with last year's draft picks, not even major league ready hitters): 3 innings, 7 hits, 6 runs (2 earned), 1 BB, 3 K

at least he only walked 1 batter :rolleyes: .. ugh.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 07:06 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1793 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Santos runs fairly well for a catcher but he was a dead duck if Molina comes up with that.

Razor Shines doesn't have the best judgement but I suppose we have to take every chance we get to score a run, especially with the pitcher behind him.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1794 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Murphy goes yard for the 5th time this year, nice!! Too bad nobody was on base.

Judging by the swing I really didn't think that would leave the park... Im surprised it did.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 07:35 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1795 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

You know whats funny? Opposing teams seem to find those low outfield walls down the the left and right field lines, yet I have a difficult time remembering any Met home run that got pulled to those spots.. I remember Sheff hit one there but it was crushed and didn't need the low wall's assistance.

But yet Utley a couple of times found that RF short porch ... Nick Johnson hit an opposite field HR right down the LF line.. that first HR at Citi Field by that Padre player just got it down that RF line.. hmm.. the HR just hit now by Ludwick.. definitely more

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 07:53 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1796 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

Omir Santos is 4-4 .. raising his season average to .298.

I still cant believe the production the Mets have gotten out of their catching tandem.. they have a nice hitting catcher down in AA (Josh Thole) but his defense and game calling needs to improve before he gets promoted to the bigs.. If it improves enough over the course of this year I could see him going into spring training with a shot to make the team next year, hell, maybe even starting a shot at winning the starting catcher's job depending on what the Mets do over the offseason with the catching position (Schneider and Santos are both free agents).

And what do you know, again an opposing team's player finds a way to JUST get it out of the park... and of all people, BRENDEN RYAN?! Hes killing us with his glove and now his bat. What a pain in the ass.

Jerry takes Redding out... solid stuff from Redding, only 5 hits through 7 IP but yet somehow managed to give up 4 earned.. Jon Switzer in to pitch vs the lefties Schumaker and Rasmus.... well, this should be a very interesting 8th inning.

Albert Pujols vs Brian Stokes. This should be fun. Going to Stokes in the 8th inning, ahhh.. reminds me of the good ol' days of the 2008 season :P

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 08:38 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1797 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

ROFL Jerry finally gives Stokes a chance in a meaningful spot and it's against A-Poo with one on and one out, one-run lead...go get him kid! :P

Edited by Hasan4978, 22 June 2009 - 08:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1798 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

ROFL Jerry finally gives Stokes a chance in a meaningful spot and it's against A-Poo with one on and one out, one-run lead...go get him kid! :P

I swear Im going to take my TV and throw it out and never watch another game if he hits a homer... I fvcking hate those 2r homers against when u have a 1 run lead... with just 1 swing of the bat u go from up 1 to down 1.

LETS GO STOKES.

fvck YEAHHHH GET STOKEDDDDDDDDD

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 08:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1799 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

Well, that was unexpected. Maybe now Jerry can finally realize Stokes is a short reliever (not a long reliever) and let him pitch in more tight games.

Edited by Hasan4978, 22 June 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#1800 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

Well, that was unexpected. Maybe now Jerry can finally realize Stokes is a short reliever (not a long reliever) and let him pitch in more tight games.

IIRC he did last year.. maybe Im wrong (I have a crap memory) but didn't he go to Stokes/Ayala as his 8th and 9th inning combo? But yeah this year hes pushed Stokes aside to long relief for whatever reason.

Its also about time they dumped Takahashi and started to use Stokes more often. You cant just let both of them rot in the bullpen, those are 2 valuable spots for a team thats not getting much relief pitching help from anyone not named Green/Feliciano (and K-Rod but he only pitches in the 9th)

edit: btw I would strongly advise the Mets to tack on a run this inning.. Ludwick, Ankiel, Molina all due up... all of them have good power, and Chris Duncan is a lefty bat with great power that LaRussa has on the bench.

edit 2: lol and they do!! close play at the plate... you gotta love Cora filling for Reyes.. hes done a more than admirable job

Edited by nmigliore, 22 June 2009 - 08:53 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users