52 replies to this topic

#21 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Call me crazy, but the Shanny pick pocket was my favorite part, other than the goals. That's just great Devils hockey backchecking 101.

#22 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:11 AM

Also, Zubrus was invisible the entire game. Made bad decisions with the puck and was just lax all around.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#23 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

Also, Zubrus was invisible the entire game. Made bad decisions with the puck and was just lax all around.

I agree, it wasn't a good game for Zubrus. He made alot of mistakes in the offensive zone, but he played well enough defensively.

#24 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

See my comments about Zubrus in the GDT. He was awful, awful, no heart, terrible, poor hands, poor decisions, poor battle, poor everything. Seriously, check the GDT.

My favorite thing about this game is how many Carolina players flat out WIPED OUT because Devils players were stopping and starting so hard they just kept tipping over. Maybe they don't dive because they're dirty but because they really can't skate??

I'm watching the game on TV now btw, and you really can't see just how badly Zubrus played on here.

Edited by Cowutopia, 16 April 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#25 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

See my comments about Zubrus in the GDT. He was awful, awful, no heart, terrible, poor hands, poor decisions, poor battle, poor everything. Seriously, check the GDT.

My favorite thing about this game is how many Carolina players flat out WIPED OUT because Devils players were stopping and starting so hard they just kept tipping over. Maybe they don't dive because they're dirty but because they really can't skate??

I'm watching the game on TV now btw, and you really can't see just how badly Zubrus played on here.

It is sad that I just expect zubie to suck. I want him to play great but he doesn't prove me wrong.

#26 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

Wasn't a sellout but the crowd was very loud and into it start to finish. Scattered empties, haven't looked at the box score yet but from being in the building I'd say 17,200. Most of the luxury suites sit dark and empty...though I don't know if those are considered a part of the 17,600

FROM NHL.COM I also heard wfan on the way home say it was a sellout. Again, do not judge by the "empty seats." With new arena's, looks can be deceiving. Many people are at the bar drinking watching the game, or eating food at the lounge.

The goaltending had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome. I think the play on the ice was pretty indicative of the score.

:closedeyes: I didn't think there were that many quality scoring opportunities. I thought the defense played fantastic however. With only 19 shots allowed, I would have liked the shutout (to really send a message) but whatever. It was still domination overall.

Shanny- God he is so smart, made some nice crisp passes and decisions. He still doesn't have the speed of his youth but a very good player.

*very true. Dano spoke (during the post'game) about how much fortitude it showed to the rest of the team, for him to get right up like that after taking a slapshot to the mouth nonchelont, as if nothing had happened.

I agree, it wasn't a good game for Zubrus. He made alot of mistakes in the offensive zone.

Dinus proves game in-game out, how he is this teams weak link. Tonight was no different.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

Speaking of Zubrus, since his rookie year when the Flyers went to the Cup, he has 2 goals in 38 playoff games. Now that isn't good at all.

Viktor Kozlov actually got his first ever NHL playoff goalie tonight. Version 2.0 needs to at least match version 1.0.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:40 AM

We dominated in almost every part of game 1. nuff said ! Hahahaha and no stupid penalties

We dominated in almost every part of game 1. nuff said ! Hahahaha and no stupid penalties
#29 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:27 AM

FROM NHL.COM I also heard wfan on the way home say it was a sellout. Again, do not judge by the "empty seats." With new arena's, looks can be deceiving. Many people are at the bar drinking watching the game, or eating food at the lounge.

The goal bar and fire and ice lounge seats have nothing to do with the rows of seats that were empty by 118, there were scattered empty rows in that end of the $65 section and the lower corners that never got filled.

But even if the real number was say 16,500 or 17,000 that's still excellent for Game 1 of the playoffs, a midweek game against Carolina that people thought might get 14,000 (and probably would have at the CAA).

Edited by NJDevs26, 16 April 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

zubrus had an all right game - if gionta doesn't check him off the puck it's possible he scores and he definitely came out with fire on his first shift.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

The Devils were clearly the better team. Canes seemed outmatched physically. The only time they showed any life was right before they scored their goal in the 3rd, but Langs answered right back immediately and the rally was pretty much dead. I totally agree about how the Canes D is soft, they need to get nasty if they want to win.

As to individual players, I thought Rolston played well. At the very least his effort was there. Madden and Pandolfo were both good last night. All the devils played very well, there was no one who I thought did not contribute.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#32 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

The Devils were clearly the better team. Canes seemed outmatched physically. The only time they showed any life was right before they scored their goal in the 3rd, but Langs answered right back immediately and the rally was pretty much dead. I totally agree about how the Canes D is soft, they need to get nasty if they want to win.

As to individual players, I thought Rolston played well. At the very least his effort was there. Madden and Pandolfo were both good last night. All the devils played very well, there was no one who I thought did not contribute.

Although you points may be valid after last nights game, its only one game!!!! Im sure the canes will come out hungrier and looking to tie it up friday night.... its a long best of 7 series. anything can happen. but yea we are starting to see the devils team we got used in febuary and march. :koolaid:
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#33 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'll have to agree there a bit. Zubbie didn't have a great game.

on the Flip side.. Gio played like a maniac. He was all over the ice. Defensively, checking, speed, etc. Great job there.

Scoops

#34 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

I was going to make this post

He is holding back Gionta and Elias.. too bad Rolston is to weak and slow to play there
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

Our best players need to be our best players...

#35 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

I was going to make this post

He is holding back Gionta and Elias.. too bad Rolston is to weak and slow to play there

Honestly I thought Rolston did not have a great game at all. Several turnovers that I noticed and not enough pressure on the puck from him. JUst my opinion though...

#36 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

A truly dominating performance by our boys. I hope they carry this work ethic and momentum through the entire playoffs.
Ward is gonna be tough, but if we keep screening and peppering him with shots, he'll wear down.
GO DEVILS!
Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#37 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Random thoughts: I remember blowing out Dallas in game 1 of the SCF in 2000 and coming back and losing game 2. Overall, it ended well, but one game does not a series make.

After years of hearig all the cr*p about how we never sell out in the first round or two unless we play the Rangers/Flyers I prefer hearing that we were sold out. If seats were bought but not filled, I could care less. The place looked filled up for the most part, at least from section 101 it did, and if the media wants to say we were sold out let them. It's better then hearing about all the empty seats during our playoff runs at the old CAA. More importantly the players liked the feel of the place and the crowd reactions.
George Martin and Son should be shot for what they did to The Beatles.

The Eagle picks my eye, the worm he licks my bones.
Feel so suicidal, just like Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Is this heaven? No its Iowa.

#38 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Invisible? God, I wish he was invisible. He was so bad last night, it was hard NOT to notice him.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#39 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Again, that *has* to be incorrect, because there were MANY empty seats in the upper section-- the upper section does not have access to these "bar's and lounges".. trust me <_<

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#40 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Again, that *has* to be incorrect, because there were MANY empty seats in the upper section-- the upper section does not have access to these "bar's and lounges".. trust me <_<

I sat in section 120 and two guys got out of their seats at the start of the 2nd intermission and came back with 6 minutes left in the 3rd period. WTF where were they? haha. It's true the upper seats don't have access to the bars etc but still for the most part the facility was full. In any stadium there will be empty seats but for this economy our fans came out and supported our team.

Scoops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users