msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Whoa, when did you change your avatar?

Change some luck
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Why are we satisfied with barely making the playoffs, getting embarrassed in round 1 or looking at teams behind us? Lou's own philosophy is 'anything other than winning the cup is failure' so the buck must stop there with his decisions. Im not saying someone would make better choices - but they have to be different. Why is it so wrong for some of you to say 'I will not drink the Kool aid?

It's not a matter of being satisfied...more like being a little appreciative that my organization is still one of the best in hockey in spite of its 'shortcomings'. Especially compared to the other organizations I root for (Mets :puke: Jets :rolleyes:)

You and others act like four or five (this year hasn't been finished quite yet) years of first and second-round exits equate us to the St. Louis Blues where that became the plateau. The standard's higher in Detroit too, should they have sent Ken Holland packing when they didn't win a Cup from '98-last year and had a boatload of early exits?

EDIT: Well, '02-last year, still same point.

Edited by Hasan4978, 28 April 2009 - 11:37 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

I don't care what Lou has to do- he's gotta get Bouwmeester. It's not everyday you get a shot at a guy like that. And there's nothing this team needs more than a big-time defenseman.

Please no. Boumeester is the most overrated D in the game. I would rather spend the money on a defensemen that will actually make a difference for his team.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#44 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

You and others act like four or five (this year hasn't been finished quite yet) years of first and second-round exits equate us to the St. Louis Blues where that became the plateau. The standard's higher in Detroit too, should they have sent Ken Holland packing when they didn't win a Cup from '98-last year and had a boatload of early exits?

The Red Wings won the cup in 2002 with Holland as the GM.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#45 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

The Red Wings won the cup in 2002 with Holland as the GM.

The gap between the Wings' Cups in 2002 and 2008 is the same as the gap between the Devils' Cup in 2003 and, well, right now. People saying Lou is washed up right now is akin to Wings fans saying Holland should be ridden out of town during the first round of last year's playoffs. Time-wise, at least.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#46 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

The gap between the Wings' Cups in 2002 and 2008 is the same as the gap between the Devils' Cup in 2003 and, well, right now. People saying Lou is washed up right now is akin to Wings fans saying Holland should be ridden out of town during the first round of last year's playoffs. Time-wise, at least.

I swear, that was exactly the post I was going to make after I corrected myself above. But yes I did have a momentary lapse and forget about Hasek and Hull winning as mercs in '02 :lol:

Edited by Hasan4978, 28 April 2009 - 11:25 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#47 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

But why does Lou have to be 'washed up' or the 'greatest GM of all time' ? All Im saying is that everything has a run and perhaps its time to change it up...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#48 babrooks213

babrooks213

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

But why does Lou have to be 'washed up' or the 'greatest GM of all time' ? All Im saying is that everything has a run and perhaps its time to change it up...

I don't think that time has come yet, though. We came in #1 in the Atlantic division despite losing our star goalies - mind you, coming in at #1 over a team that had Crosby, Malkin, Fleury...or a team that had Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist (sure, we all hate him, but we know he's capable of being a good goalie)...or a team that had Briere, Biron, Richards. The Atlantic division might be the best division in hockey (second only to maybe the West's Central division)

Lou's kept us competitive since he got here, and we've weathered some big changes in the meantime. The man knows what he's doing. You can't realistically expect us to win the Cup every year, to shut out opponents in every game we play, to go 82-0 in the season and 16-0 in the playoffs. The Devils are a damn good team and Lou has a lot to do with it.

What happened with the Islanders and their fourpeat was a fluke - so to expect anything like that is unrealistic.

But Marty Brodeur has said in his interviews that he's stayed with the Devils for so long because he feels like the team has a chance to win the Cup every single year. Not many teams can say the same thing.

#49 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

+1
+1 (for emphasis)

We passed on Chara. We should not pass this time.

lou did not pass on Chara. It is fairly well known that chara was lou's plan b if he didn't resign elias. but lou got plan a. and chara was delivered to boston and chiarelli before UFA opened on 7/1 anyway. the guy signed a max deal at 12:10am.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#50 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

TG is reporting this is inaccurate. Vanderbeek said they hired the firm to look for an arena executive to handle all things Rock. The Devils will remain Lou's.

Bring out the clean'up crew folks, because this is damage control at it's best. ;) -I knew Vanderbeek was going to back-pedal somewhat when the story fist broke... but for him to cry 'lies'?! :rolleyes: I call bullsh!t. This apologue is nothing more than a statement for Lou's sake. This aint ESPN. Street & Smith is one of the more reputable sporting publishing journal's out there. They wouldn't have broken this story if they weren't AT LEAST 90% sure of it's validity. So if the `Beek wants to scream; inaccurate' to save face for LL... go right ahead. The truth will come out next season on who's really driving the bus, when we release our alternate (and/or throwback) @ the Rock...right next to the 12x by 20 ft billboard of Parises' mug, for all of Newark to see. B )

Edited by Beezer34, 28 April 2009 - 11:59 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#51 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

I would vote 'too bad' that the report was incorrect, because it would've freed Lou up to concentrate 100% on the hockey side of things.

I would only wish that to happen if it truly was a joint decision and not the usual PR "joint decision". I think the teams' success under Lou earns him the right to make his own call on that.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

this doesn't make any sense at all. 'everything has a run' - i don't even know what that means. 'it's time to change it up' - why, too many division titles? there's a lot of luck in the playoffs and right now the devils have gotten the shorter end of it re: injuries. things really have to break right to have a long playoff run.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

this doesn't make any sense at all. 'everything has a run' - i don't even know what that means. 'it's time to change it up' - why, too many division titles? there's a lot of luck in the playoffs and right now the devils have gotten the shorter end of it re: injuries. things really have to break right to have a long playoff run.

There is no doubt that as Devils fans most people on this board are spoiled. I mean we got 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, just look at how ecstatic the Carolina Hurricanes and their fans are to even be in the playoffs at ALL. The idea that Lou has done a bad job with that said is just absurd. The only GM who is even close to Lou is Ken Holland, although it appears that he may have surpassed him.

Think about even highly regarded GMs. Look at Bob Gainey in Montreal. That team has collapsed and he's supposedly one of the best in the game. When you can only think of one GM who's even close to being better, then you're pretty damn good and should be retained.

HOWEVER. It is clear to me at least, that the game has changed dramatically since Lou's heyday, and he is ignoring aspects of the game that can no longer be ignored. It appears to me this team can't skate well enough and can't score enough goals to win a Stanley cup. In the past that hasn't been a problem since the D could contain other teams, but this D just can't keep up with other teams.

So really, I think changing the GM is absolutely insane, and anyone who wants to is a fool. But as to the "Everything has a run" comment I think he's trying to say Lou is not adapting sufficiently. And it appears that his strategy to build a team may be suboptimal.

The thing is I trust Lou to see that and make modifications more than I trust some random executive to do the same. There is just too much Lou brings to the table to cast him off just because a few FA signings haven't panned out as hoped.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#54 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,781 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Please no. Boumeester is the most overrated D in the game. I would rather spend the money on a defensemen that will actually make a difference for his team.

He's better than anything we have sans Martin. I know he'll cost some scratch, but who else can we go after that would be a clear upgrade over any d-man on the roster?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#55 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

There is no doubt that as Devils fans most people on this board are spoiled. I mean we got 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, just look at how ecstatic the Carolina Hurricanes and their fans are to even be in the playoffs at ALL. The idea that Lou has done a bad job with that said is just absurd. The only GM who is even close to Lou is Ken Holland, although it appears that he may have surpassed him.

Think about even highly regarded GMs. Look at Bob Gainey in Montreal. That team has collapsed and he's supposedly one of the best in the game. When you can only think of one GM who's even close to being better, then you're pretty damn good and should be retained.

HOWEVER. It is clear to me at least, that the game has changed dramatically since Lou's heyday, and he is ignoring aspects of the game that can no longer be ignored. It appears to me this team can't skate well enough and can't score enough goals to win a Stanley cup. In the past that hasn't been a problem since the D could contain other teams, but this D just can't keep up with other teams.

So really, I think changing the GM is absolutely insane, and anyone who wants to is a fool. But as to the "Everything has a run" comment I think he's trying to say Lou is not adapting sufficiently. And it appears that his strategy to build a team may be suboptimal.

The thing is I trust Lou to see that and make modifications more than I trust some random executive to do the same. There is just too much Lou brings to the table to cast him off just because a few FA signings haven't panned out as hoped.

thank you Half-- my feelings are somewhere between what you wrote and what I said .. but tri thinks he's right and only his opinion counts
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users