682 replies to this topic

#641 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

I just went to Taco Bell and spent $16.12 to eat away my sorrow.

#642 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

Well it took almost 2 hours to get home from this game and you get to think a lot about what happened. Some people are going to say they had seen this coming, that Carolina was the better team but I still wont buy that. I watched a team that was 1 minute and 20 seconds away from proving that wrong but I really can't comprehend what happened over that last minute or so. This was just a devastating loss.

Elias was hurt this series that much is obvious. How much we'll never know but when you consider what Jamie went through to get back into the lineup it just makes me even more certain that Elias was playing with something bad. He's a big game player and we never got to see that from him this series. That was strike one. The additional injuries during the series only made things that much worse.

Our defense is just not good enough to win in the playoffs. I appreciate everything each and every one of those defenders did for this team over the course of the season but between the failed clearing attempts and the suspect play, I've literally lost years off my life. Don't get me wrong, there is some decent talent on that blue line but we desperately need a stud d-man. No reason to even mention this because it's pretty obvious to everybody.

Cam Ward stole this fvcking game and no that is not a knock on Brodeur. That save he made on Langs in the 3rd was just ridiculous. So many chances to get that 4th goal but it never came.

Maybe now that stupid Rangers suck chant will finally die.

We needed better efforts from certain players. I believe Tri mentioned Zubrus playing well the last 2 games. He did, but where was that game for the first 5 games of the series? Brian Rolston - thank you for the goal tonight but you have a lot of making up to do next season.

Ironic how it was the Zajac line that was on the ice for the tying goal. Make no mistake, that was the goal that broke their backs. After all the penalties they killed and all the chances they couldn't convert on, to lose their hold on the game with such little time left was just crushing. They really played well today overall. Maybe Sutter wasn't so crazy after all?

There is so much more to touch base on but it's just really hard to put everything in perspective right now. I just want to give props to the people who believed in this group because it's the much harder thing to do. It's very easy to predict a team to lose or be negative because at the end of the day only one team out of 30 will win. The fact that most people feel that the Devils choked this series away though only proves that they could have and more importantly should have won this series. I just didn't see the need for all the negative sh*t we have been reading during the series. As you can see there will be plenty of time for that now.

Edited by SickMan, 29 April 2009 - 12:26 AM.

New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#643 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

Quite frankly... it was an angry mob. That about sums it up.

Watching it on TV, in the final five minutes it seemed to me like the fans in the stands were just as on edge about the outcome as was the team.

I expected to see the whole arena standing and cheering every good play the team made, like they had been doing at other arenas in the final minutes of other playoff series. But instead, all I saw was the lower bowl sitting and watching, quietly. As usual, I could hear some noise coming from the upper tiers, but the arena as a whole seemed pretty queit, as if they were too scared to cheer confidently.

Am I wrong?

Edited by 95Crash, 29 April 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#644 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Watching it on TV, in the final five minutes it seemed to me like the fans in the stands were just as on edge about the outcome as was the team.

I expected to see the whole arena standing and cheering every good play the team made, like they had been doing at other arenas in the final minutes of other playoff series. But instead, all I saw was the lower bowl sitting and watching, quietly. As usual, I could hear some noise coming from the upper tiers, but the arena as a whole seemed pretty queit, as if they were too scared to cheer confidently.

Am I wrong?

Because of the way this team finishes games, they probably were. I know I was.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#645 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:41 AM

Am I wrong?

Because of the way this team finishes games, they probably were. I know I was.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#646 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

Am I wrong?

Not really (meaning I agree) but I think the crowd was just sensing the team was once again playing scared, defensive hockey down the stretch and it came back to bite them in the worst way possible.

The only possible good that can come out of this is maybe it finally shocks Lou and Sutter into realizing once and for all that the pre-lockout trap and offenseless checking line won't work anymore. Lou needs to take Madden and Pando away from Sutter (and himself), they're like a drug neither can walk away from. As much as I like and respect them they've outlived their usefulness.

Edited by NJDevs26, 29 April 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#647 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

They wanted it more, simple as that. People can say; "Oh only 30 seconds tonight, and 00.2 the other game" all they want. THAT'S what the difference is between Good Teams -vs- Great Teams. Great teams play till the absolute last second. They play an entire game, not just 59 minutes of it.

Worst lost in franchise history?

You're joking right? There's no way this trumps; 1988, 1994, or 2001 as far as post'season blunders. Sh!t, I'd say the 1996 Sens game was worse than tonight. (although, I will feel alot worse if Carolina goes deep into the playoffs I must admit.)

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#648 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

The person I feel really bad for in all of this is Mr. Vanderbeek. This poor guy, a former season ticket holder who buys his team. His first year as owner is a frigging lockout. He gets two lame duck years at the Deadowlands with disappointing finishes, surely loses a lot of money there, and then last year gets his dream to become a reality, and this team just kicks us all square in the crotch. What do they do for an encore? Give us one extra home game and then proceed to make that the worst home game in franchise history.

I don't know, maybe he needs to be more of a curmudgeon like Doc McMullen was. Maybe he needs to go into the locker room and rip them all apart like McMullen did and tell them he needs more home games and revenue or they'll all be out on their @ss. Who knows. It's 2am and I'm trying to think of anything else other than the game. This entire team owes us and their owner an apology.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very ugly off-season.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#649 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

They wanted it more, simple as that. People can say; "Oh only 30 seconds tonight, and 00.2 the other game" all they want. THAT'S what the difference is between Good Teams -vs- Great Teams. Great teams play till the absolute last second. They play an entire game, not just 59 minutes of it.

You're joking right? There's no way this trumps; 1988, 1994, or 2001 as far as post'season blunders. Sh!t, I'd say the 1996 Sens game was worse than tonight. (although, I will feel alot worse if Carolina goes deep into the playoffs I must admit.)

*shudders* that 96 game was a really rough one.

#650 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

I don't think we have to worry about that, there is no way they will beat the Bruins in the second round. They are better offensively, defensively and in goal. Ward will not shine against the Bruins offensive prowess. I don't think Carolina has a good team, they had a worst team than ours, but simply wanted it more. We played non-playoff hockey during the playoffs, if we beat Carolina, we would have lost in the next round regardless. If Carolina plays the way they did against us, they will win 2 games, and that's a BIG maybe.
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#651 Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

Maybe now that stupid Rangers suck chant will finally die.

It won't. To many people that go to Devils games have a inferiority complex that will never go away. There was a guy sitting in front of me calling all his Ranger friends on the phone laughing at them and cracking jokes about the golf course. We are in a Game 7 and this idiot is more concerned that the Rags lost then we what the Devils were doing on the ice. IN A GAME 7!!!!!!!!

Right there I had a feeling we were fvcked. As soon as the game was over I looked at him and asked if he is still laughing. I hate to say it but I hope that everyone he called gave it back to him ten fold. I am so sick and tired of people more concerned about the stupid ass Rangers then our own team That ridiculous chant can't end anytime soon. Sadly, it won't.
"In the last couple of weeks here, I had my lip split open, my chin split open, I got stitches in my eyelid and I got hit so hard in Game 6 that it actually knocked one of my false teeth out," Shanahan said. "And I loved every minute of it."

#652 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:22 AM

I was watching this on the TV while my family sat there, I let out a bunch of F-bombs. I still can't believe this ending, I am wide awake and sick to my stomach. Shock and disbelief.

Horrible.

#653 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

white and mottau were pure sh!t...
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#654 Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:24 AM

white and mottau were pure sh!t...

I never want to see White's face for the rest of my life. I mean that. I can't stand him. I want him as far away from this team as humanly possible. I would trade him straight up right now for a bag of pucks. He is garbage!
"In the last couple of weeks here, I had my lip split open, my chin split open, I got stitches in my eyelid and I got hit so hard in Game 6 that it actually knocked one of my false teeth out," Shanahan said. "And I loved every minute of it."

#655 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

I can't recall a time in my life where I have been at such a loss for words. I didn't even want to curse. I got into my car started it, started crying and not knowing what to think, such a disappointing way to end the playoffs, I expect/embrace big change this off season.
Posted Image

#656 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:28 AM

Lol whose not sleeping tonight :-)
Posted Image

#657 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

Am I wrong?

lol, the funny thing about the last 5-6 minutes is I was up and cheering everything and I had been sullen in the other tight late games, fearing the loss. I really thought they had it... until that Zajac line shift started going to sh!t and whoever the fvck that was (thought it was Samsonov. guess it was Jokinen) starting camping out looking for cross-ice passes. then the sense of impending doom kicked in.

#658 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

I am COMPLETELY F**KED OFF right now.

Those were the second longest 5 minutes of my life (apart from the Champions Leauge penalty shoot out between Manchester united and Chelsea, which also broke my heart).

I honnestly couldnt see us losing, i thought we were going to shut them down for that final sector .

It all feels like a bad dream.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#659 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

I don't understand how Havelid and Greene were out there at that time.

#660 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

this may have been brought up already, and i'm not just pinning the loss on him, but i think we may really be seeing the end of the brodeur era. the first and last goals he gave up were goals top goalies don't give up, especially in a game 7 at home. i'm not saying we need to replace marty next season, i'm just saying the era of his being a dominating goalie may be over.

and that breaks my heart.

this is going to be a very interesting summer. i think we are going to see a very different team next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users