1071 replies to this topic

#121 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

I'm amazed anyone even had a second thought about the Goods. Everything I saw looked horrible.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#122 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

Anyone see The Goods Yet? Wondering how it was. It looks hysterical.

I saw it the other day. It had its moments, but there were points where it was too long between funny parts. It doesn't compare to The Hangover.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#123 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

OK... so I saw District 9.... I loved the documentary POV of the movie.... I found myself liking and pulling for the characters (means the movie did it's job)... I could have done without the tribute to the fly in the movie....but I thought it was a smart well done movie that told a fascinating story through out... it was a bit trippy..... but it was a damn good movie!!! :thumbsup:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#124 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

I also saw District 9 last night and it was pretty brilliant. Easily the best movie I've seen this summer. I'm going write a full review of it in the other thread, but it's the perfect marriage of an independent spirt with a big budget production. Im not a huge fan of sci fi by any strech but it's not only the best science fiction movie I've ever seen, it pretty much redefines my ideas of what science fiction should be.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#125 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

I also saw District 9 last night and it was pretty brilliant. Easily the best movie I've seen this summer. I'm going write a full review of it in the other thread, but it's the perfect marriage of an independent spirt with a big budget production. Im not a huge fan of sci fi by any strech but it's not only the best science fiction movie I've ever seen, it pretty much redefines my ideas of what science fiction should be.

It was definitely in my top 5... a good movie in a summer of a lot of not-so-good ones....

1. Star Trek
2. the Hangover
3. Orphan (seriously, it was the sh!t)
4. District 9

I kinda hope Inglorious Bastards makes this list too... it was fun looking!

The "big name" movies (yes I mean YOU Transformers and T-4) REALLY let me down this year.....

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#126 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

It was definitely in my top 5... a good movie in a summer of a lot of not-so-good ones....

1. Star Trek
2. the Hangover
3. Orphan (seriously, it was the sh!t)
4. District 9

I kinda hope Inglorious Bastards makes this list too... it was fun looking!

The "big name" movies (yes I mean YOU Transformers and T-4) REALLY let me down this year.....

All signs are pointing to Inglorious Bastards being a "return to form" for Tarantino, and man does he need one after Grindhouse.

Finally, I'm hoping my expectations are actually met for once this summer!
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#127 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Inglourious Basterds was awesome.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#128 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

I second that. Inglourious Basterds was AWESOME! Some of the dialogue seemed a little long-winded, but it's Tarantino so you kinda expect that. Everything else about the movie was spot-on kickass. Sick movie.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#129 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

HUGO STIGLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Damn that was a fun movie!!

#130 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

HUGO STIGLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Damn that was a fun movie!!

All I have to say is ... Bongiorno. :lol:
Posted Image

#131 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,832 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

:rofl:

I can't remember Brad Pitt being funnier!!!!!

#132 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hahaha that part was great.
--John Buccigross

#133 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

Saw Basterds and definitely enjoyed myself. The movie went fast for me so didn't feel like 2 and a half hours.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#134 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

Saw Basterds and definitely enjoyed myself. The movie went fast for me so didn't feel like 2 and a half hours.

Yea same here. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater when I was watching King Kong, and this wasn't much longer but it didn't feel that way at all.
--John Buccigross

#135 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Bastards is the movie of the year for me.

Quentin developed the history very well, very few parts were boring.

The action scenes were awesome , for say the least. but I did spected a little bit more action.

And was pretty dam Funny.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#136 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

All these positive reviews on District 9 have really gotten me excited. Unfortunately I have to wait until october to see it over here.

But I'm glad I didnt have to wait so long to see Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has never let me down (I even liked Death Proof), and his Basterds truly is an awesome movie. Christoph Waltz was amazing as the Jew Hunter. Can't wait to go see it again!!!

Edited by Atterr, 23 August 2009 - 08:50 AM.

#137 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

But I'm glad I didnt have to wait so long to see Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has never let me down (I even liked Death Proof), and his Basterds truly is an awesome movie. Christoph Waltz was amazing as the Jew Hunter. Can't wait to go see it again!!!

Agreed. As great as Brad Pitt was, Waltz stole the show. Tremendous performance.
Posted Image

#138 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

I liked basterds .. the bar scene was good - could have been better

I liked the way tarantino said "fvck if star trek can do it -- why not me? "

Also -- did anyone think that roth influenced the gore quotient? like quentin wanted to 'show' off?
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#139 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

Saw District 9 today ... that was a surprisingly good movie. Bulletproof wrote a great full review in the other movie thread. Like he alluded to, one of the impressive things was how they were able to create a sympathetic character who only existed in the realm of special effects. That's quite a feat. All of the performances from actual actors were tremendous as well. Great plot, great action, it raised intriguing questions about morality and was very well put together. Highly recommended (, although I think I might have enjoyed Basterds more. Close call).

I especially like the potential it leaves for a sequel. It wasn't an ending that demands one, but there really are a ton of possibilities for District 10.
Posted Image

#140 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

I especially like the potential it leaves for a sequel. It wasn't an ending that demands one, but there really are a ton of possibilities for District 10.

You know, when I left the theater, my brother mentioned to me, "Well, I'll be the first person on line for District 10" and to be honest, I'm not sure if that would be the best idea.

While it's tough to discuss without giving away the ending, suffice to say that a sequel could be a "Matrix-esqe" mistake. The Matrix sequels, in my opinion, weren't terrible but they lacked that magic from the original. A D-9 sequel could fall into the same trap if the writers aren't careful.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users