1071 replies to this topic

#141 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

I think with D-10, since I assume they'll make one, the writers should try to purposefully lack the magic of D-9 and instead focus on making D-10 have magic of its own.

Spoiler

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#142 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Why is your spoiler tag different then mine 731 ? :lol:
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#143 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

Spoiler

The Matrix comparison is a really good one. Hopefully, if they do decide to make a D-10, they'll actually do it right instead of butchering the franchise the way Hollywood did with The Matrix.

Oh, and El D, it's because he spelled out "spoiler" in the tags instead of using "sp."
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#144 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,015 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Inglorious Bastards was awesome. Definitely my favourite movie of the year so far, and it's good to be satisfied after The Hangover and Star Trek let me down.

Christoph Waltz was outstanding as others have mentioned. I really enjoyed the long dialogue. The opening scene and the bar scene were great

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#145 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Inglorious Bastards was awesome. Definitely my favourite movie of the year so far, and it's good to be satisfied after The Hangover and Star Trek let me down.

Christoph Waltz was outstanding as others have mentioned. I really enjoyed the long dialogue. The opening scene and the bar scene were great

I liked the first scene as well.

Spoiler

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#146 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

The Matrix comparison is a really good one. Hopefully, if they do decide to make a D-10, they'll actually do it right instead of butchering the franchise the way Hollywood did with The Matrix.

Oh, and El D, it's because he spelled out "spoiler" in the tags instead of using "sp."

Hey!!!! no messing on Matrix Reloaded around me!!!!! I LOVED the Evolution of the Agent Smith character!!!!! :rant:

Spoiler

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#147 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

Damn...all this D-9 sequel talk, especially given DiG's spoiler tagged lingering question, is really getting me jacked for a potential D-10! My only caveat is great starts like this can ruined quickly. I reference it often but Blade 3 anybody?

Also, is there any way to indicate the movie you're referencing when doing the spoiler tags? I almost clicked on a Basterds spoiler by mistake!

Now, back to watching Trainspotting for 80,000th time... :D
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#148 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hey!!!! no messing on Matrix Reloaded around me!!!!! I LOVED the Evolution of the Agent Smith character!!!!! :rant:

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#149 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

I wasn't really looking foward to see D-9, but some friends who loved sci-fi Drag-me with them to watch.

At end they hated the movie, and I loved.

it was great.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#150 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Just saw Inglourious Basterds for the second time and now I can safely say that it is without a doubt the best film of the year for me. Tarantino's World War II fairy tale might not be his masterpiece (although the last line in the movie might suggest otherwise), but it is great nonetheless. It has great characters (such as Aldo, Landa and Shosanna), some instantly classic scenes, and, most importantly, the best dialogue QT has written since Jackie Brown. The dialogue contains so much unspoken threats and tension, that the violence that follows it almost acts as comic relief. And speaking about comedy, the movie is quite hilarious. I really enjoyed every minute, from the great opening scene to the outrageous ending. Tarantino's back on top form!

Since I had absolutely nothing to do today I also saw G.I. Joe, which I normally wouldn't do as the trailer made it out to be a big dumb action movie. As it turns out, it was dumb in every aspect, but I was surprised that I somewhat enjoyed it.

Edited by Atterr, 27 August 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#151 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

Since I had absolutely nothing to do today I also saw G.I. Joe, which I normally wouldn't do as the trailer made it out to be a big dumb action movie. As it turns out, it was dumb in every aspect, but I was surprised that I somewhat enjoyed it.

I ended up at GI Joe because a friend wanted to see it. I knew from the previews I thought the effects looked awful, especially with that much money spent, and I thought they were awful when I saw the full movie. What was surprising to me is that the script isn't half bad. I can understand why movie execs would have read that script and thought to themselves they could make a big blockbuster out of it. Now of course there were the jokey side characters which were bad for the movie, and I'm going to guess added into the script later to make it kid friendly. Taking that same script and scaling it up for adults and actually spending less money on effects would have probably ended up with a really decent movie.

Oh ya, the "big twist" was so telegraphed that I would assume half the theater guessed the twist before the movie even hinted there would be one.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#152 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

As an aside, we should probably get the 2 movie threads merged into just a general movie thread, right?

Anyway, here is some talk about a District 9 sequel or prequel(spoilers in link):

http://chud.com/arti...CT-8/Page1.html

Spoiler

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#153 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

agreed and call it movies, make it a sticky -- and maybe make one for books...
Posted Image

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

#154 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

Not to post a "Me Too" or anything, but I have no problem with merging the Summer Movies and the regular Movies threads. I just created the other Movies thread so we can talk about movies outside the Summer season, but having it all in one place would be just fine with me.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#155 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Add my vote too for combining threads. And I like the idea of mentioning what exactly you're posting a spoiler for before posting one.

D-9
Spoiler

Most importantly, I think it's the mark of a great movie that it can spark such discussion. Most summer sci-fi flicks, you can just go to the theater and more or less turn your brain off for two hours while you let dazzling special effects tickle your eyes. But anything that actually generates critical thought without losing its continuity is a special film.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#156 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

Basterds was among the best, D9 was great as well. Public Enemies lacked in several ways. Star Trek was overall very solid, Hangover was very funny. Funny People was a waste of time.

Also, anyone else laughing at Sandler for picking Funny People over Basterds?

#157 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Also, anyone else laughing at Sandler for picking Funny People over Basterds?

No, just because he did not pick the better movie it does not mean he did not do an excellent job in it
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#158 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

D9 was ok, it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Don't think anyone mentioned this but Wikus(dont know the spelling) totally reminded me of a rip off of Steve Carrol in the office.

#159 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

Don't think anyone mentioned this but Wikus(dont know the spelling) totally reminded me of a rip off of Steve Carrol in the office.

Who was ripping off Ricky Gervais, who created the show and character. Gervais was probably ripping off someone else he had seen do the buffoon act before too. It's tough to be totally original.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#160 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

D9 was ok, it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Yeah I didnt like it as much as others have here - I did like the
Spoiler

I saw elements of alien nation in it and it had a V feel to it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users