#161 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

In the interest of thread consolidation, I

Edited by Bulletproof, 01 September 2009 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#162 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Anyone see the new Final Destination yet?
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#163 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

Opening This Week

All About Steve
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#164 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

See what I mean??
the movies suck now... must be time for football!!!!!:yay:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#165 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Beavis & Butthead ... Office Space ... Mike Judge can do no wrong, unless we're talking about King Of The Hill. Looking forward to Extract.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#166 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Beavis & Butthead ... Office Space ... Mike Judge can do no wrong, unless we're talking about King Of The Hill. Looking forward to Extract.

While I normally would agree with you, the trailers for Exrtract have been leaving me empty, although trailers can be very deceiving. Then again, Mila Kunis is reason enough to give the movie some attention for an hour and a half :D

All jokes aside, I'm really rooting for Extract to be good but I just don't have a good feeling about it.
Posted Image

#167 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

While I normally would agree with you, the trailers for Exrtract have been leaving me empty, although trailers can be very deceiving. Then again, Mila Kunis is reason enough to give the movie some attention for an hour and a half :D

All jokes aside, I'm really rooting for Extract to be good but I just don't have a good feeling about it.

Ya know, I kinda feel the same way with the trailers. But the fact that Office Space was a box office dud kinda makes me think that this might still have potential. Plus, Jason Bateman is just hilarious.
Posted Image

#168 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Add in Idiocracy on the good side.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#169 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

Add in Idiocracy on the good side.

Damn, I forgot about Idiocracy...probably one of the worst 20 minutes of film I've ever seen! Maybe I needed to hang with it a little more, but I seriously couldn't get past the opening 20 when it was on HBO a while back.

To be honest, I had no idea Judge wrote and directed it...maybe if I had known that, I would have hung for a lttle longer but damn, that movie is obnoxious. Maybe that's the point, but it was just too frustrating to watch.

By the way, 731, I don't mean to knock a movie you obviously enjoyed...perhaps i gets better as it goes on, but I just couldn't stomach watching it. To each, their own!
Posted Image

#170 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I would say Idiocracy is a bit of a build. The first part with Luke Wilson in present time is pretty boring, although I like the part with the army guy hanging with the pimp, and then setting up that the future is moronic is a little slow, but as soon as the president shows up things take off because I think the President is great.

So I'll say it could go either way, if you hated the first 20 minutes you might still hate the movie in general but it might be that you like the rest as well, the first part of the movie is a little different than the rest.

It's ok if you hate a movie I like, we all have our own tastes, even King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Princess Bride aren't beloved by all.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#171 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

I would say Idiocracy is a bit of a build. The first part with Luke Wilson in present time is pretty boring, although I like the part with the army guy hanging with the pimp, and then setting up that the future is moronic is a little slow, but as soon as the president shows up things take off because I think the President is great.

So I'll say it could go either way, if you hated the first 20 minutes you might still hate the movie in general but it might be that you like the rest as well, the first part of the movie is a little different than the rest.

It's ok if you hate a movie I like, we all have our own tastes, even King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Princess Bride aren't beloved by all.

Fair enough...next time it's on HBO, I'll give it a fairer shot.

Also, if somebody doesn't love King of Kong, they can't be my friend. Simple as that! Love that flick! :D
Posted Image

#172 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Also, if somebody doesn't love King of Kong, they can't be my friend. Simple as that! Love that flick! :D

Me too, it was disappointing when I wiki'ed the movie and read the twin galaxies website to see some discrepancies some feel the movie has.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#173 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

http://www.trailerad...ed-band-trailer

Looks like they finally made a Boondock Saints sequel. Part of me is pumped about this. Park of me is worried that it might suck and they woulda been better off leaving it as just the one movie. Yet another part of me is wondering what the hell happened to Sean Patrick Flanery's face!? Is it bad plastic surgery or aging poorly or a guy in a low-quality Sean Patrick Flanery mask?

Anyway, it looks like they were able to get pretty much everybody back, even the fairly minor characters, except for Willem Dafoe. You can even see Rocco for a brief moment in the trailer.
Posted Image

#174 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

Oh yeah ... almost forgot to mention that I saw Extract the other day. It was pretty funny. It's no Office Space, but what is?
Posted Image

#175 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

http://www.trailerad...ed-band-trailer

Looks like they finally made a Boondock Saints sequel. Part of me is pumped about this. Park of me is worried that it might suck and they woulda been better off leaving it as just the one movie. Yet another part of me is wondering what the hell happened to Sean Patrick Flanery's face!? Is it bad plastic surgery or aging poorly or a guy in a low-quality Sean Patrick Flanery mask?

Anyway, it looks like they were able to get pretty much everybody back, even the fairly minor characters, except for Willem Dafoe. You can even see Rocco for a brief moment in the trailer.

Well, that makes my evening!

I'm just going to go on record and say that I love the orginal Boondock Saints, despite the fact it's a so-so movie. Forgetting the hammy acting (especially by Willem Dafoe), cheesy screenplay and borderline cringe moments, the original defines the word cult classic. All of it's obvious flaws aside, it has a weird charm to it that's irresitable. I don't know, maybe just knowing the hell it took to even get made makes me really love it...it's the little indie action that could...and did!

From the looks of the trailer, it seems like it just sticks to the formula of the orginal, which is a good thing. I agree that revivals like this can go bad quickly, but I will certainly be seeing this one in the theaters.

Oh, and Flanery really looks like age got the best of him....yikes...
Posted Image

#176 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Boondock Saints has to be one of the most overrated movies ever. I agree with Bulletproof on the movies' flaws, but unfortunately I could not see its charm. It is beyond me why so many people seem to like it. No offense to those people of course.

By the way, this is the only movie thread now? No use posting in the other one right. Not that I had the time to watch movies lately, let alone comment about them...

#177 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I think it's the characters that drive the love-despite-its-flaws that Boondock Saints fans have. Rocco and the Tourette's-suffering old guy who who owns the bar provide the goofy, funny, lovable moments. The brothers, well, they're brothers, and despire any acting shortcomings Flanery and Reedus may have, their bond is believable. But for me, Dafoe is the key. His inner conflict while dealing with trying to catch the McManus brothers while also admiring what they're doing and his self-loathing attitude towards homosexuals bring a depth of character that no one else in the film really has. Plus, his interactions with the Boston detectives brings some more comedic value.

The characters bring heart to the film while also helping it stay light-hearted. A lot of the movie is over the top ... the acting, the cinematography, turning Rocco into Jesus ... but if the characters weren't good enough to allow the viewer to emotionally invest in them, none of it would work.

That's my take, anyway.
Posted Image

#178 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

I think it's the characters that drive the love-despite-its-flaws that Boondock Saints fans have. Rocco and the Tourette's-suffering old guy who who owns the bar provide the goofy, funny, lovable moments. The brothers, well, they're brothers, and despire any acting shortcomings Flanery and Reedus may have, their bond is believable. But for me, Dafoe is the key. His inner conflict while dealing with trying to catch the McManus brothers while also admiring what they're doing and his self-loathing attitude towards homosexuals bring a depth of character that no one else in the film really has. Plus, his interactions with the Boston detectives brings some more comedic value.

The characters bring heart to the film while also helping it stay light-hearted. A lot of the movie is over the top ... the acting, the cinematography, turning Rocco into Jesus ... but if the characters weren't good enough to allow the viewer to emotionally invest in them, none of it would work.

That's my take, anyway.

Very well said, DiG.

When it comes to the brothers, I totally agree. Flanery and Reedus have a great bond which, for me, is what pulls the movie up from so-so status. When watching it, I find myself really rooting for them, which is a feat all in itself. The brothers are the best part of the movie...the characters are well acted and they have great chemistry.

As for Willem Dafoe, I have to repectfully disagree. While there was nothing "wrong" with his performance, the director really needed to reign him in. To me, Dafoe really got caught up in the energy of that character and ended up over-acting, which can happen if you give a great actor free reign like that (much like Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood). The result is a character that has real depth and substance that gets overshadowed by the over the top performance. For the Dafoe character, which for me is essential as he really spells out the jist of the film, I would have liked to see a more focused portrayal. There's enough over the top stuff going on where Dafoe didn't need to hit the heights he did.

But, yeah, I still love that damn movie! Very interested to see how the sequel will hold up to the original.
Posted Image

#179 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

I kinda liked the over-the-top performance, but I guess that's one of those "To each their own" kinda things. Every time he put his headphones on, I knew I was in for some downright cringe-worthy, unnecessary theatrics. But I still get chills every time I see the "THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!" part, as over-the-top as that entire scene may be.
Posted Image

#180 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

Opening This Week - Nationwide

[b]Tyler Perry

Edited by Bulletproof, 10 September 2009 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users