281 replies to this topic

#261 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

you were probably a year early with our bet but i'll give it to you again thanks to the economy and lack of teams that would actually give out a big contract actually having the salary cap room to do such.

+/- of $8MM on Hossa's cap hit. i will again take the under.

i want the line moved to 7.8 million. i also think that montreal goes strongly after him. hossa's played in a bilingual market, and montreal is the only team with the money to throw at him.

Williams can play center as well. Zubrus-Williams-Clarkson is not a bad third line at all.

he's a quasi-center. i know he can play there, but so can zubrus, and i think zubrus is a better center. and if zubrus-williams-clarkson is the 3rd line, who is centering the 2nd line? rolston?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#262 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

It's a good question. Perhaps Elias or Rolston can figure it out until something works. I know both of them aren't that strong at the center position. But I'm not a guy who wants to see the Devils sign Koivu for 4 million a year just so Rolston can possibly succeed at his natural spot. I don't want to see the Devils sign another bad contract to help the first one.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#263 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

i want the line moved to 7.8 million. i also think that montreal goes strongly after him. hossa's played in a bilingual market, and montreal is the only team with the money to throw at him.

done - but only because i want to have a rooting interest in this thing. truthfully, i think we'll be close to a push on it but i could see him getting a 10/60 deal from somebody stupid.

i am betting on Detroit NOT winning the Cup which will only help keep Hossa from a questionable situation - of which MTL very much is. I think after the last couple of years, UFAs would have to be insane to go there if other choices presented themselves.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#264 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

First to put it short; the three most important tasks during the summer are (stating the obvious):

1) Re-sign Zajac and Oduya

2) strengthen defense

3) Promote new faces, first and foremost Corrente and Bergfors

4) look at a center for 2nd/3rd line, if possible

Here

Edited by dali, 14 May 2009 - 05:23 AM.

Ghost of the offseason past.

#265 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

Robert Lang is a perfect fit as a stop gap center.
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#266 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

GMs decide if a contract is a good value by looking at expected contribution to his team versus salary cap, not contract amount versus other people's contract amounts.

If a RFA and an UFA are both an option for a team to sign for the same contract then odds are extremely good the RFA is a much better player than the UFA is. So the GM would sign the RFA because he helps his team more relative to his cap, that decision is made regardless of other contracts.

When it comes to actually making the decision in a specific instance, it doesn't matter what the odds say. The GM will have to compare the potential contracts to see who will provide the greatest contribution to his team vs. the salary cap. I don't see how at least some comparison can be avoided, regardless of how rough or unscientific it is.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#267 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

When it comes to actually making the decision in a specific instance, it doesn't matter what the odds say. The GM will have to compare the potential contracts to see who will provide the greatest contribution to his team vs. the salary cap. I don't see how at least some comparison can be avoided, regardless of how rough or unscientific it is.

Ya, he's making the comparison to the cap, not comparing the RFA to the UFA. He compares both to the cap and picks the one with the best value. There is a comparison, it's towards the cap, not towards other contracts.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#268 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

Ya, he's making the comparison to the cap, not comparing the RFA to the UFA. He compares both to the cap and picks the one with the best value. There is a comparison, it's towards the cap, not towards other contracts.

Fair enough. :)

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#269 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

So Krejci signs a 3-year contract worth 3.75 annually. I don't see how Zajac can make more than this. I know he is the top line center here, while Krejci is a second line center in Boston, but David Krejci is a much better player.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 June 2009 - 04:33 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#270 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Lou better go and personally thank Peter Chiarelli for that one. That contract may work out similar to the one that Nathan Horton signed a few years back, that set the bar for almost all RFA forwards signed for a 2 year period.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280676

It escalates from 3.5 to 3.75 to 4 over the 3 years, which has become the defacto standard these days for RFA players.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#271 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

So Krejci signs a 3-year contract worth 3.75 annually. I don't see how Zajac can make more than this. I know he is the top line center here, while Krejci is a second line center in Boston, but David Krejci is a much better player.

Krejci is not a 'much better player'. I had Krejci at 3.5 million per year - I don't think this changes much for Zajac. He'll get 3.5 to 4 million per season.

#272 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Krejci is not a 'much better player'. I had Krejci at 3.5 million per year - I don't think this changes much for Zajac. He'll get 3.5 to 4 million per season.

I think he is much more talented. Zajac benefited from Parise's incredible year. Krejci created most of his points from incredible vision and passing. Krejci didn't see top minutes and was not on the #1 PP unit. Replace Zajac with Krejci on our top line and I think he gets 80 points. Not to mention how much better our PP comes.

This isn't a knock on Travis. I just think Krejci is really good.

#273 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

I think he is much more talented. Zajac benefited from Parise's incredible year. Krejci created most of his points from incredible vision and passing. Krejci didn't see top minutes and was not on the #1 PP unit. Replace Zajac with Krejci on our top line and I think he gets 80 points. Not to mention how much better our PP comes.

This isn't a knock on Travis. I just think Krejci is really good.

Yeah, I mean, no one on the Devils can be good, Travis is just a passenger on the Parise line whereas that Krejci is just a tremendous playmaker. Krejci isn't going to get 50 even strength points next season unless he improves his game, and Behind The Net ranked his strength of teammates as 8th (Zajac is 2nd) - that's despite the fact that Krejci did not get that much power play time.

For the purposes of salary comparison, Zajac has 3 full NHL seasons whereas Krejci has 1, and Krejci's first season wasn't even that good.

Krejci is certainly a better player. 'much better', I don't think that's the case.

Edited by Triumph, 02 June 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#274 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, I mean, no one on the Devils can be good, Travis is just a passenger on the Parise line whereas that Krejci is just a tremendous playmaker. Krejci isn't going to get 50 even strength points next season unless he improves his game, and Behind The Net ranked his strength of teammates as 8th (Zajac is 2nd) - that's despite the fact that Krejci did not get that much power play time.

For the purposes of salary comparison, Zajac has 3 full NHL seasons whereas Krejci has 1, and Krejci's first season wasn't even that good.

Krejci is certainly a better player. 'much better', I don't think that's the case.

Again talking up Krejci does not mean I don't appreciate Zajac or don't think he is good NHL player. But the facts are the facts.

Krejci had more goals and more assists for more points. He had more PP points playing on the second unit. Krejci was playing in his first full season in the NHL. He is younger. He was thrown around all year on different lines playing with 6 different linemates.

Zajac finished his third full year and has played with the same two guys for his entire NHL career, one who is arguably a top 5 forward in the game. If you watched the two guys all year, you can see a major talent discrepancy between the two.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 June 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#275 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Zajac finished his third full year and has played with the same two guys for his entire NHL career, one who is arguably a top 5 forward in the game. If you watched the two guys all year, you can see a major talent discrepancy between the two.

this is simply a blatant untruth and makes me wonder what team you watched in 2007-08.

#276 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

this is simply a blatant untruth and makes me wonder what team you watched in 2007-08.

I've said this before...the 2007-2008 team was one that I was most removed from personally. I watched about two games all season, so please fill me in. If I am mistaken, I apologize, but Zajac still had the chemistry of playing with the same guys all season this year. I think everything else I wrote is fair though.

#277 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

hey tri this is OT but it seems like this whole thread jumps around a lot so i'll post it anyway. I'm trying to get into more extensive stats but I'm not exactly sure which ones more important and which ones look it but really don't make a difference. One thing I was looking at was shooting% for defensemen. For example I look at Dion Phaneuf. 11 goals last year looks very nice but taking 277 shots last year (3.5pg) and a S% of 4.0 ranking him 71st for defensemen total. There's a lot you don't see looking at the plain old stats. 2 people I was very impressed with were, Zidlicky and Aucoin. They didn't rack up a ton of shots but they both had very respectable S%. Campoli is 3 overall and makes you shake your head if your an isles fan, what were they thinking? Kubina is up there too. I was thinking about how Zidlicky would fit here ever since his Nashville days. One year left at 3.5M, think Rafi at half price but better defensively. With a rebuilding Wild, he's worth an inquire.

NHL.com has this interactive page where I found these stats. Very nice

#278 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:17 AM

I was surprised the Devils didn't go after Zidlicky (Minnesota paid 2nd + Ryan Jones), and for that matter, Visnovsky (Los Angeles dealt Stoll + Greene), last summer. Zidlicky is not better than Rafalski defensively, however.

Typically it's a sign of a flukeyness if players have a year where their S% is out of whack with their career average.
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#279 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

I think krecji is definitely a superior offensive player to Zajac. There's not much question about it. However Zajac's all-around game is really rare. I hope he gives Lou a slight break and takes $3M on a long-term contract.
Posted Image

#280 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

First to put it short; the three most important tasks during the summer are (stating the obvious):

1) Re-sign Zajac and Oduya

2) strengthen defense

3) Promote new faces, first and foremost Corrente and Bergfors

4) look at a center for 2nd/3rd line, if possible

Ummmmm... that is 4 things.

Sorry for paying attention!
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users