281 replies to this topic

#281 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,438 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

hey tri this is OT but it seems like this whole thread jumps around a lot so i'll post it anyway. I'm trying to get into more extensive stats but I'm not exactly sure which ones more important and which ones look it but really don't make a difference. One thing I was looking at was shooting% for defensemen. For example I look at Dion Phaneuf. 11 goals last year looks very nice but taking 277 shots last year (3.5pg) and a S% of 4.0 ranking him 71st for defensemen total. There's a lot you don't see looking at the plain old stats. 2 people I was very impressed with were, Zidlicky and Aucoin. They didn't rack up a ton of shots but they both had very respectable S%. Campoli is 3 overall and makes you shake your head if your an isles fan, what were they thinking? Kubina is up there too. I was thinking about how Zidlicky would fit here ever since his Nashville days. One year left at 3.5M, think Rafi at half price but better defensively. With a rebuilding Wild, he's worth an inquire.

NHL.com has this interactive page where I found these stats. Very nice

i don't think that dion phaneuf can have as bad a shooting percentage as he did last season. he takes too many shots and a lot of them are low percentage but he gets an absolute ton of power play time also and that shot of his is quite good. if i were in a fantasy league, i'd draft phaneuf a little higher - i expect him to score between 15 and 20 goals next season. shooting percentage is kind of a 'skill' - but as voros says, when a shooting percentage is way out of whack with the rest of a player's career, it may indicate that next season it will come closer to his career average.

zidlicky and visnovsky are offensemen and i know lou doesn't like those players - and he certainly didn't have pieces like stoll and greene to deal for visnovsky. zidlicky puts up solid numbers but iirc nashville barely used him in the playoffs (on looking it up, this happened in 2005-06 when he might've been hurt). he's a double-edged sword, and we've seen that lou will prefer a dull knife to one of these types of players.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#282 dali

dali

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Ummmmm... that is 4 things.

Sorry for paying attention!

Hmmm... I always thought that IŽd have some problems with my grammar since English is my second language. But being able to make errors in basic math too is beyond me :rolleyes:
Ghost of the offseason past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users