358 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:08 AM

Roy Halladay should have been 10-1 going into tonight's game. After the bullpen blew a 5-run lead that Halladay had in his last start, the 32nd no decision Halladay has had due the bullpen blowing his lead, Halladay was determined to finish the game himself. Doc struck out 14 and threw a career high 133 pitches.

He had some of his best stuff tonight I have ever seen. He had one bad inning after sitting on the bench for a long time after the Jays blew the game open, but other than that he was downright nasty.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

wow McClouth got traded to ATL.. they were desperate for OF help.. they didnt even give up that young stud pitcher tommy hanson either
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,942 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

No posts on Unit's 300th win?

Good job by the MLB Network broadcasting the game, though I didn't watch all of it. The one inning I did watch he looked like he meant business and wanted to get it over with (i.e. he was dealing nasty). Everyone thought Glavine would have been the last for a while now it looks like Unit'll be. Mussina could have been but he went out on his own terms.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

in MLB, I know you aren't allowed to trade draft picks but can you trade the rights to those players after you've drafted them?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

in MLB, I know you aren't allowed to trade draft picks but can you trade the rights to those players after you've drafted them?

I am fairly sure that it isn't allowed. If it is I can't think of any example of it ever happening, although I really doubt it is legal.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:33 AM

I am fairly sure that it isn't allowed. If it is I can't think of any example of it ever happening, although I really doubt it is legal.

Me either, I would guess you can't because it'd be a loophole around signing draft picks. MLB draft is so stupid because so many small market teams have to pass up on the talented players to get the one that will settle for the money the smaller market team can afford.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#27 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

-- Some 2009 NCAA stats on the top guys in the draft --

RHP Stephen Strasburg (San Diego State): 8-3, 1.57 ERA, 12.3 K/9, 0.79 WHIP
1B/OF Dustin Ackley (North Carolina): .417/.503/.597 .. 7 HR, 51 RBI in 68 games
LHP Mike Minor (Vanderbilt): 7-3, 4.28 ERA, 8.8 K/9, 1.23 WHIP
RHP Aaron Crow (Missouri): 13-0, 2.35 ERA, 10.6 K/9, 1.15 WHIP
RHP Alex White (North Carolina): 13-3, 2.83 ERA, 10 K/9, 1.18 WHIP
SS Grant Green (USC): .390/.438/.644 .. 9 HR, 46 RBI in 50 games

There is also a ton of high-school kids but Im too lazy to post anymore lol; heres a great list from BA http://www.baseballa...009/268178.html

Edited by nmigliore, 09 June 2009 - 11:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#28 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

Cliff Lee is 6 outs away from a possible no hitter.

The Indians need to really trade this guy and get max value.. making a small $5.75M this year and has a cheap $8M club option for next year. Mark DeRosa is another great trade piece for them.

edit: Molina doubled to leadoff the inning, ah well.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 June 2009 - 08:52 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#29 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

the astro's offense has been doing great the past ten days. Its a shame to see them still struggling in the NL.
I'm also glad to see the pirates show some life, only being 2 games under .500 is pretty good for them right. Russ Ohlendorf was another Yankee prospect, i believe he was sent over in the nady / marte trade.

Cliff Lee is 6 outs away from a possible no hitter.

The Indians need to really trade this guy and get max value.. making a small $5.75M this year and has a cheap $8M club option for next year. Mark DeRosa is another great trade piece for them.

edit: Molina doubled to leadoff the inning, ah well

man, you jst reminded me of michael kay there. hahaha
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#30 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

the astro's offense has been doing great the past ten days. Its a shame to see them still struggling in the NL.
I'm also glad to see the pirates show some life, only being 2 games under .500 is pretty good for them right. Russ Ohlendorf was another Yankee prospect, i believe he was sent over in the nady / marte trade.

how about the Rockies? 11 straight wins .. they dont stand a chance in that division, but, they might have a shot at the wild card.

re Pirates: yeah Ohlendorf was part of that deal.. that kid Andrew McCutchen has jolted some life in them since dealing McClouth... hes FAST.. If Morgan can continue to progress in hitting and getting on base those 2 are going to be a lethal 1-2 punch at the top of the order... and they also adds strength to the defense in the outfield.

btw Lee just finished the game, CG shutout.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

On the subject of Cliff Lee's CG shutout...

Joe Morgan told a story last night, while Cliff Lee still had a no-hitter going against the Cardinals. The interesting thing is, the story wasn't true at all.

"I guess I can tell this story now, one of my great experiences when I was a young player. Don Wilson was pitching a no-hitter against the Atlanta Braves. They had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty, Felipe Alou and Hank Aaron, of course. And they got to the ninth inning, he got two outs, no one on base, and Hank Aaron was the hitter. And in my infinite wisdom, I ran in to the mound. I said, "You know, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Hank Aaron walked right here. He said, "Get back to second base." I proceeded to go back to second base. He threw three fastballs right by Hank Aaron. No-hitter."

The folks over at Deadspin did a little research, and it turns out that the no-hitter in question actually happened... but Joe Morgan didn't actually play in that game.

http://www.faniq.com...ohitter-1702730

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

On the subject of Cliff Lee's CG shutout...

http://www.faniq.com...ohitter-1702730

lol @ Joe Morgan .. but at least hes better than Steve Phillips.. and I like Jon Miller as a pbp guy .. dump Phillips and Morgan and Sunday Night Baseball becomes 10x better
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#33 RockingTheRed81

RockingTheRed81

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

i thought the fact that Sammy Sosa used steroids was old news? why are they talking about it today?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Here is a weird rule. If the MLB season ended today then Joe Mauer would win the AL batting title and be recorded as hitting .426(I think that's his average noe) for the season even though he doesn't have enough ABs to qualify for the league leaders list.

The reason for this is that MLB has a rule that if you can sustain being given 0 hits in all the ABs you need to qualify for the leaders list and still have the highest average then you will be recognized as the batting champion and they'll record your real average and not the adjusted average.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#35 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

anyone see that stolen base by scutaro? just caught it on the highlights on baseball tonight... that was such a smart and gutsy attempt to try something like that.

edit: also that willie harris catch vs the yankees was SICK: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...200906185118861 .. hes made some dandy catches vs the mets in the past as well.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 June 2009 - 11:19 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

All-Star teams announced minus the final voting spot. Online voting continues to deny deserving players of a chance to be at the game. Josh Hamilton. Great story last year but you've been injured most of the season. Dustin Pedroia was the MVP last year but Hill and Kinsler should be the two 2Bs.

Now there is only one spot left and more than one deserving player out there. Lind and Kinsler should both be there. Look at where Lind ranks in the AL.

BA: 11th
OPS: 5th
Hits: 8th
2B: 3rd
HR: 11th
RBI: 7th

logokx.jpg

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

Russel Branyan could've gone... the person that didn't go that shocked me most was Dan Haren of the DBacks...

8-5, 2.16 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 15 BB/119 K (yeah, thats a 7.93 K/BB ratio) .. how the hell did he not go?

edit: im glad Sandoval is going, he was part of that group of 5 players from the NL; only 1 would get voted in, and it was him .. he deserves it - .328/.381/.564, 13 HR, 48 RBI

edit 2: oops, im wrong .. kinsler and sandoval lead their groups, so they aren't technically in yet.

re: Lind/Kinsler - this should go to Lind IMO.. Kinsler is terrible on the road - .200/.271/.406 .. seems like hes benefitting from that park in Texas where ball carries better

Edited by nmigliore, 08 July 2009 - 01:43 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

wow nevermind i was wrong - haren DID make the all star team.. i could've sworn mlb network said he didnt... nevermind lol
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#39 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

No-Hitter on the west coast last night, Jonathan Sanches of the Giants blanks the Padres:

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...itter/index.jsp

Woulda been a perfect game had a runner not reached on the third baseman's error. Uribe owes Sanchez a beer. Or a car.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#40 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,160 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

No-Hitter on the west coast last night, Jonathan Sanches of the Giants blanks the Padres:

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...itter/index.jsp

Woulda been a perfect game had a runner not reached on the third baseman's error. Uribe owes Sanchez a beer. Or a car.

as i said in the mets thread - if giants want to make a serious playoff run they should look into acquiring a power hitter (they rank 2nd to last in homeruns and are near the bottom in every offensive category).. they were supposedly shopping sanchez; this should bring his value up a bit.. hes never been awful (despite the high ERAs), he just walks alot of guys - hes averaged 4.5 BB/9 during his major league career.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 July 2009 - 12:37 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users