#41 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

Always special watching a no hitter.

Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but how can anyone who follows sports not like Matt Stairs? He is as old school as they come. The dude is 41 years old. He does no off-season training at all. He doesn't pick up a bat until spring training. Couldn't give a sh!t about working out or getting fit. And he doesn't hide the fact that all he's looking to do when he gets up to the plate is crush a ball out of the park. And very few baseball players hit a ball deeper when they connect.

Here's a deep shot from last night.
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...0...91&c_id=phi

It's a shame that he's in the NL and relegated to pinch hitting for a pitcher. He still could be a pretty good DH somewhere in the AL.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#42 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

Always special watching a no hitter.

Maybe it's my Canadian bias, but how can anyone who follows sports not like Matt Stairs? He is as old school as they come. The dude is 41 years old. He does no off-season training at all. He doesn't pick up a bat until spring training. Couldn't give a sh!t about working out or getting fit. And he doesn't hide the fact that all he's looking to do when he gets up to the plate is crush a ball out of the park. And very few baseball players hit a ball deeper when they connect.

Here's a deep shot from last night.
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...0...91&c_id=phi

It's a shame that he's in the NL and relegated to pinch hitting for a pitcher. He still could be a pretty good DH somewhere in the AL.

Yeah this guy was a sleeper pickup by the Phillies last year.. he had a huge pinch-hit HR for them in the NLCS vs the dodgers that pretty much put away the series.

but this is hilarious:
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#43 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

i decided to make a blog covering the MLB and stuff - http://atdiamond.blogspot.com/

hope you guys enjoy and follow :)
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#44 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

new article on giants' catching prospect buster posey, who is being bumped from A+ to AAA.. http://atdiamond.blo...gh-for-aaa.html
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#45 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

Buehrle's got a perfect game going through 8 innings for the White Sox against the Rays.

Of course, the free Extra Innings preview is done. :doh1:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#46 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

One out from a perfect game. White Sox outfielder pulls back a home run in the 9th to preserve the perfect game. Unreal.

He got it! Wow.

Edited by thelastonealive, 23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#47 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

The catch by Wise will be on highlight reels for a long time, too. He goes up, grabs it from over the wall, nearly loses it, juggles and catches in his non-gloved hand. To record the first out in the ninth inning to preserve a perfect game. As a defensive replacement, added to the game to start the ninth.

Beuhrle owes him a steak.

#48 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Mark Buehrle, baby! How 'bout dem Sox!

Tied with the Tigers now. If Quentin can regain even a fraction of last year's form, and Danks rebounds from his latest blister injury, the Sox just might make a serious run for the Central again.

Wish I could have seen some of this. :( I don't even have cable right now, so I'll have to hit up all the highlights online tomorrow.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#49 nmadd

nmadd

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

The catch by Wise will be on highlight reels for a long time, too. He goes up, grabs it from over the wall, nearly loses it, juggles and catches in his non-gloved hand. To record the first out in the ninth inning to preserve a perfect game. As a defensive replacement, added to the game to start the ninth.

Beuhrle owes him a steak.

I tried to propose to my boss that the office should close early when somebody throws a perfect game. He didn't quite go for it. :D

#50 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

*sigh*

i still wonder when the mets will ever get their first no hitter/perfect game (yes non-mets fans you read that right, FIRST.. they have been around for 40+ years and still nobody has thrown a no hitter, let alone a perfect game!) :angry:
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#51 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,948 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

Buehrle's got a perfect game going through 8 innings for the White Sox against the Rays.

Of course, the free Extra Innings preview is done. :doh1:

Yeah that annoyed me too...until I remembered the MLB Network. Sure enough they had live coverage of the ninth inning (at least) with the Chicago feed :clap:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#52 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

I caught the last two outs on ESPN. Just missed the home run robbing catch live.

#53 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Just saw "the catch". Absolutely incredible with the amount of ground he covered to get to the ball and the timing was perfect.

Here are all 27 outs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...tent_id=5699295

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#54 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

I wonder if Roy Halladay is going to be dealt. I still think Philly will get him, IF hes traded that is.. there was some rumor about the Mets having interest with that 1 offer (and fwiw, that deal would have been terrible from a Jays standpoint, I'm sure they could get a MUCH better package than that) but that could have been just to entice the Phils to owe up and make a deal (or it could have just been a false report, which seems to be the indication now)..

I also heard the Cards are interested in Halladay... that would give them a pretty formidable rotation: Halladay, Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse, Pineiro -- jeez, thats 5 pretty damn good starters.. although I think they desperately need an OF'er (Ankiel is having a miserable year) more than they do a starting pitcher. Matt Holliday would be a good pickup for St Louis

edit: and that was a hell of a catch by Wise .. if anyone remembers Jonathan Sanchez's no hitter, Aaron Rowand made a great catch at the wall too. Seems like there is always at least 1 of 2 unbelievable defensive plays in no hitters.

Edited by nmigliore, 23 July 2009 - 07:35 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#55 nmadd

nmadd

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

edit: and that was a hell of a catch by Wise .. if anyone remembers Jonathan Sanchez's no hitter, Aaron Rowand made a great catch at the wall too. Seems like there is always at least 1 of 2 unbelievable defensive plays in no hitters.

Here's an article on just this: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...rtnerId=rss_mlb

#56 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Here's an article on just this: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Miguel Tejada's reaction after this incredible play by Pedroia is hilarious :lol:

Edited by nmigliore, 24 July 2009 - 10:38 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#57 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Cardinals acquire Holliday

as i said yesterday, this is exactly what they needed. im not a big holliday fan, i think stats were really inflated in coors field but hes still a nice player and plays great defense.. ill have a trade write up on my blog about it later, i still gotta check out the kids the cards' gave up - the 1 name that pops out is brett wallace though, #2 prospect in the cards' system, and i always liked him and he impressed me with some nice at bats in the Futures Game a few weeks ago.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 July 2009 - 11:25 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#58 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

heres my blog post on the deal: http://atdiamond.blo...-cardinals.html

I thought it was a nice deal for both sides, especially the A's, who I thought got a great return.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#59 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

heres my blog post on the deal: http://atdiamond.blo...-cardinals.html

I thought it was a nice deal for both sides, especially the A's, who I thought got a great return.

Wallace from St. Louis was referred to as an elite hitting prospect by baseball america so they A's probably got more than they would've from the draft picks. And they really need the hitting bad.

I don't know how far away he is, but he's their first really good hitting prospect in awhile and will go well with Cardenas, who they got from Philadelphia last year
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#60 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Wallace from St. Louis was referred to as an elite hitting prospect by baseball america so they A's probably got more than they would've from the draft picks. And they really need the hitting bad.

yeah i had that in my blog post; if they hung onto Holliday and got draft picks there is no way they would get what they got from the Cardinals. I mean they would be lucky enough if they could get a player of Wallace's caliber, let alone 2 extra prospects that could be very useful.

Wallace shouldn't be very far off at all (from the Bigs).. hes already up to AAA and not showing signs of struggling.. Im still amazed how quickly he moved up the Cards' system considering he was just drafted last year; thats impressive.

I don't know how far away he is, but he's their first really good hitting prospect in awhile and will go well with Cardenas, who they got from Philadelphia last year

yeah i like Cardenas (obviously Philly has no use for SS and 2B prospects), he tore up AA this year hitting .352/.421/.481 with an even 37 BB and strikeouts; wow.. I think he was recently promoted to AAA.. hes still very young too, only 21; its not like he was one of those 24 or 25 year old kids that are in AA and tearing up the league because they are old for the league.

edit: almost forgot about Josh Outman who was part of that same deal.. hes 4-1 with 3.48 ERA in 12 starts for Oakland this year.. and the last kid in that deal, Matt Spencer, has put up nice numbers in A+ and AA.. I'd say the A's made it out pretty well in that Blanton deal.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 July 2009 - 05:43 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users